This is what we are waiting for.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Tonytownsend, May 5, 2010.

  1. GiantDolphin macrumors member

    Apr 23, 2010
    I posited this as a reason for the hold up as well, and I am sure I am not the first either, but according to most sources, the technology will not be showing up in computers until at least 2011. Now maybe Apple has some coup planned and they will somehow have it before anyone else in the Mac Pro, but it seems like if that is the hold up, it will still be something like September if at all in the fall before they could get it to the market. I don;t know about you, but if this is the hold up, I'd rather that Apple gone ahead and released 6 core/12 core MP machines in March/April and updated with Light Peak next January -- they'd still be ahead of everybody.

  2. nanofrog macrumors G4

    May 6, 2008
    There's evaluation boards/parts (which is what Intel's used in the demonstrations), but no where near the point of being available for manufacture (fully ready, and sufficient quanities to ship to vendors). That's planned for Q4 2010, which is were the 2011 date is coming from.
  3. VirtualRain macrumors 603


    Aug 1, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    ^^^ exactly, I expect light peak is still a year away from production systems. I doubt this has any impact on a refresh of the MP.
  4. rajbonham macrumors 6502

    Mar 29, 2010
    Exactly. I'm almost positive there's not going to be any Light Peak or USB 3.0 on the 2010 Mac Pro update. The only thing that might possible to be offered with the update is eSata.

    The only excuse Apple currently has for the delay is, well, uh, they don't have an excuse.
  5. nanofrog macrumors G4

    May 6, 2008
    I'd be amazed if it even gets eSATA, as it means a new PCB to do so (additional SATA controller added as well as the actual port).

    The cheapest thing to do, is use the new processors on the existing systems with a firmware update (add in the necessary microcode). Now if the existing voltage regs don't work properly, they'd have to change the resistor values to make it function, but that's just changing part values, not a new PCB design. Existing boards could be made to work in such cases by rework (pull the necessary part/s, and replace with proper ones).

    Some boards have required this, others haven't. It will depend on the specific parts chosen (i.e. used the cheapest parts possible, which deviated from the reference design from Intel).

    But without the firmware, end users won't be able to make the '09 systems function with the new chips.
  6. Transporteur macrumors 68030

    Nov 30, 2008
    That really sucks! If I could pop in some hex cores in my machine it would easily last me for one, maybe two more years.
    And the low end hex cores (e.g. E5630) would make a really cheap upgrade.

    But Apple wanna make people buy new machines instead of upgrading. :mad:
  7. earlysummer84 macrumors newbie

    Apr 19, 2010
    i heard that apple have launched new product is Ipad. Anyone has it?
  8. rajbonham macrumors 6502

    Mar 29, 2010
  9. longball11 macrumors 6502a


    Feb 3, 2009
    Anybody up for the unofficial thread for waiting for lightpeak?
  10. parakiet macrumors regular

    Nov 23, 2008

    so lets hope.. or we could tick further till 800 days :-/
  11. ValSalva macrumors 68040


    Jun 26, 2009
    Burpelson AFB
    The iPad? Yes, this is Apple's new direction. It's their Mac Pro replacement. I guess if I want to continue to use 'Macs' I'll have to get one :rolleyes:

Share This Page