This is why Apple has the best customer service in the world!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by henmac, Sep 27, 2012.

1. henmac macrumors newbie

In the midst of all the frustration from waiting for the new iMac, please allow me to share a positive story.

Like most people who have the 8800GS gfx card in 24" iMac (mid 2008), my card died on me after 4 years. It had vertical lines all over the screen & finally the iMac just simply freezes at the Apple boot logo. Unfortunately the Applecare warranty was expired a year ago.

So I decided to try my luck, at first my request to have the card replaced for minimal fee didn't work. Despite me providing evidence & reports of many such cases, the CSO just wouldn't budge. :mad:

So after a few days I tried again, this time I requested to talk to the Customer Relations Manager. Again, I presented some reports of how this is a widespread issue & some customers in the US was able to get their card replaced for free for their out-of-warranty machine. She was very nice & kind enough to review my case.

After my iMac was diagnosed at the Apple service centre, she gave me a good news. Apple was willing to replace the video card (it costs US$220) for free & I only have to pay the labour charge (US$80).

Some of you might be thinking, what's the big deal, its only $200. Sure I can just get the part from eBay, but I'm not trying to be cheap or unreasonable, its about Apple being responsible & providing the best customer service. Of course, YMMV.

I'm not sure if there are any companies out there that willing to replace your parts for free for a 4 year old & out-of-warranty computer?

Moreover, last year I had the LCD panel of this same iMac replaced for free just days before the Applecare expired. The LCD panel was full of dirty patches & burn marks from the super hot gfx card. The CSO refused to entertain me, he quoted me an exorbitant sum & wanted me to carry my iMac down for repair. :eek: So I talked for the manager. Yep, the nice manager agreed to replace it for free...at my place. :D

So please talk to your local Apple Customer Relations nicely & they will work out something for you. They certainly did for me & restored my faith in Apple. :D

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

3. EPiCDiNGO macrumors member

EPiCDiNGO

Nice 1st post welcome to the forums :) glad to see an apple employee posting on this forum ;)

4. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

Awesome. Free stuff is always good. I got the whole motherboard in my MacBook Pro replaced for free a few months ago because of a faulty GPU. Luckily, it was just under 4 years old so there wasn't any hassle. I put in a new hard drive, and it's almost like a new (but still slow with an old processor) machine.

5. kaielement macrumors 65816

I had a 3.5 year old MacBook (white model) that had some cosmetic issues and they fixed it for free. The parts alone came out to $150 but fixed for free. I call that great customer service :) :)

6. henmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for sharing your experience here

Thanks for the welcome. Apple employee? Lol. Just a satisfied customer, that's all. :eek: