Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hellodon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2006
I see everyone trying to defend Cingular by bringing up all the negativities other providers have.

Well, bottom line, Cingular has awful pricing. It's going to cost roughtly 135 dollars each month if you want to have a basic plan and use all the features of the iPhone:

500 anytime minutes
Unlimited data transfer (to use the iPhone internet and instant messenger)
500 text messages
Free Nights and Weekends

Unless they plan to do some special plan, this is what it's going to cost, since this is basically the same service as a Blackberry.

I switched to T-mobile's blackberry service and pay 83 dollars per month for the following:

700 Anytime Minutes
Unlimited data transfer
1000 text messages
Free Nights and Weekends

And overall, T-Mobile's customer service is better and just the phone service in general. I have yet to have ONE dropped call in 2 years (I was getting at least 3-5 that I can recall per month on the service with "the fewest dropped calls"....) and I've had no problems.

Sure, I want an iPhone, but Cingular obviously rips the customer off and I don't want to go back to that just to have this thing. Paying 50+ dollars more per month for less minutes and texts is sort of ridiculous...don't you think? They can obviously afford to charge the same amount T-Mobile does...so why such an outrageous jump between the 2 services? I am telling you from experience that T-Mobile is a better service nationwide. I've heard people bitch about every service provider out there....so I'm sure there are positive and negative outlooks on T-Mobile AND Cingular...but one clear negative mark against Cingular is this difference in price...what justifies it?

I was shocked to see that they made this exclusive to any service...count me out (unfortunately) unless AT&T steps in and revises the ******** pricing and gets on T-Mobile's level with that.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
price? coz they are the market leader, so they have high price. I don't like it, but i did checked price 2 years ago, at that time, most providers have similar price, but in past two years, T-mobile and sprint begin to lower the price.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Cingular hinted at possible iPhone specific data plans
https://www.macrumors.com/pages/2007/01/20070112024212.shtml

You'll be really pissed if Cingular comes out with something like the $19.99 unlimited data + text messages plan like T-Mobile has for the Sidekick, huh? ;)

But seriously, nobody touches T-Mobile's rates (well, Sprint's add-on features are getting closer in price), and I wouldn't expect that to change anytime soon.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Hi
Doesn't sound that bad. For example...

• Nation 900 w/Rollover ( Unlimited N / W + Unlimited M2M ) = ~$60
• SmartPhone Connect Unlimited w/Xpress Mail = ~$20
• MEdia Works - 1000 Messages, 5MB data = ~$15

That's ~$95 + taxes / fees. Still a lot but very noticeably different than your $135 quote.

If I go with the iPhone ( getting pretty likely ), I'll very likely go with...
• Nation 450 w/Rollover ( 5000 N / W + Unlimited M2M ) = ~$40
• SmartPhone Connect Unlimited w/Xpress Mail = ~$20 [or whatever data plan they offer for the iPhone]

Double what I'm paying now but I'd be getting all kinds of data capabilities, except texting but I have no interest in that anyway.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
It'll be interesting to see what Cingular classifies the iPhone as.

If it's a smarthphone, the current data plan would be ~$20.00
If it's a PDA, then the current data plan would be ~$45.00

Most of the current Cingular phones that look somewhat "close" to what an iPhone is are classified as PDA phones.

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
Can we PLEASE stop the "0MG Cingul4r Suxx0rz!" threads?!

We know, you hate Cingular, we know t-mobile/verizon/sprint/virgin mobile are all enormously better than anything Cingular has to offer, because Cingular is too expensive/has awful service/sent men to beat up your grandmother/took a dump in your car.

IT DOSEN'T MATTER. The iPhone is on Cingular and there is NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT. We all know that the carrier you are on at the moment is better, that apple is making a mistake, and that you would do a much better job as CEO. I am happy for you. Now please, stop posting threads about this.
/rant

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Yes, Cingular SUCKS, but Apple SUCKS even more for making an alliance with them - and thereby killing any chance we may have had of seeing an iPod with WiFi and a Skype client :mad: :mad: :mad:

jmsait19

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2004
MO

We know, you hate Cingular, we know t-mobile/verizon/sprint/virgin mobile are all enormously better than anything Cingular has to offer, because Cingular is too expensive/has awful service/sent men to beat up your grandmother/took a dump in your car.

IT DOSEN'T MATTER. The iPhone is on Cingular and there is NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT. We all know that the carrier you are on at the moment is better, that apple is making a mistake, and that you would do a much better job as CEO. I am happy for you. Now please, stop posting threads about this.
/rant

Amen. Besides, they ARE going to have iPhone specific plans, it has been said before (maybe by Steve)... no one knows the pricing, so stop complaining

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL

/rant

Thanks, you're another one that gets this. No matter how much bitching everyone does, it's not going to change. Cingular may not be as good as your current provider, but there are 50 million cell phone users who think it is the best and continue to use it. If that doesn't say something about their service - which I've had NO PROBLEMS WITH - then I don't know what does. If no other cell phone company has been able to beat them in numbers, then price and service mean squat because Cingular has to be pretty damn good to continue to be number one.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Forums need to trim obsolete posts. Comeon, anything older than 2 years is already irrelevnt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.