Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2017
This article from Ars Technica sums up to me just why allowing independent app stores on iOS would be a disaster for both the consumer and Apple.

Right now Apple has a well earned reputation of being relatively secured devices. Part of that is ensuring that applications follow the rules, do not exceed their limitations and especially do not take advantage of "hidden" or undocumented API calls.

The argument I read here from those pushing for these independent app stores is that it's "their phone" and therefore "their risk".

I'd posit though that when does freedom risk another's reputation? If such app stores were allowed and then people's phones were affected by malicious software as a result, no one will care where it came from. No one will care if it was from an independent app store. Apple's name and reputation will forever be tarnished. Just as Google's name is today.

On the whole Google try to do a pretty decent job these days at limiting the risk: sadly no one gives a monkey's about that and Android will forever be tarnished as a generally unsafe platform where malware thrives.

That is one reason I feel Apple is fighting so hard to block this: independent app stores could seriously damage the safe and secure cachet that Apple currently enjoys. And loosing that prestigious reputation could cost the company billions in the long term.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
That’s pretty much my own conclusion as well.

We have laws because people by and large cannot be expected to police themselves.

In the same vein, I am sure there are many developers who wouldn’t hesitate to violate App Store policies for their own benefit if they knew they could get away with it.

Apple is what’s keeping them honest. I know not everyone agrees with their policies, but it’s still a case of “maximum benefit for maximum number of people”.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
This article from Ars Technica sums up to me just why allowing independent app stores on iOS would be a disaster for both the consumer and Apple.

Right now Apple has a well earned reputation of being relatively secured devices. Part of that is ensuring that applications follow the rules, do not exceed their limitations and especially do not take advantage of "hidden" or undocumented API calls.

The argument I read here from those pushing for these independent app stores is that it's "their phone" and therefore "their risk".

I'd posit though that when does freedom risk another's reputation? If such app stores were allowed and then people's phones were affected by malicious software as a result, no one will care where it came from. No one will care if it was from an independent app store. Apple's name and reputation will forever be tarnished. Just as Google's name is today.

On the whole Google try to do a pretty decent job these days at limiting the risk: sadly no one gives a monkey's about that and Android will forever be tarnished as a generally unsafe platform where malware thrives.

That is one reason I feel Apple is fighting so hard to block this: independent app stores could seriously damage the safe and secure cachet that Apple currently enjoys. And loosing that prestigious reputation could cost the company billions in the long term.

It's the reason why hey on' do open source .. We always side with quicker secury fixes, with heaps looking over the code, but the other side of that is 1000 worse..

Independent app store has noting to do with the risk rate.. its mixed up with malware.... Apple has separate Apple watch app...

And arguably, when stores get "bloated' up over time, going independent is our best choice anyway.. Just look at why Apple did this with iTunes and Catalina with 3 dedicated apps to see why.

As long as Apple maintains their security. malware would be kept to a minimal.

btw... Google does things very differently than Apple, which is why they have to deal with this stuff much more, and Apple doesn't

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.