This item "--" cannot be copied because there is not enough free space. Hardrive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by saxman351960, Jun 30, 2009.

1. saxman351960 macrumors newbie

Ok. I just got this mac, and i formatted the drive.
    It is formated to Mac OS Extended (journaled)
    Im trying to install Yahoo messenger. (it is doing this with all other programs im trying; limewire, thunderbird, opera.)
    I keep getting the message "The item "Yahoo! Messenger" cannot be copied because there is not enough space."
    It also says this when i try to pull a file off an 8 GB ScanDisk Flash Drive.

Can anyone give me an idea of what to do. I dont have the OS disk. I loaded it using a friends, and now it is not letting me.

2. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

Go to Finder preferences and click the Advanced tab. Once there, make sure the Empty Trash Securely checkbox is checked. Then what you'll want to do is delete all programs/files you don't need. It will take a while, but in the process, you'll free up a ton of hard drive space.
    Tip: Go to the Movies tab in a Finder window and make sure all iMovie projects/events that you don't need are gone. You'll free up a TON of space.
    Hope this helps!

3. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

I assume you mean you erased a second drive and not the boot drive, right :D

When you formatted the drive, did you set up the partitioning, too? Because if the drive came from a PC it is partitioned using MBR. You want APM (Apple Partition Map) for a PowerPC Mac. Using Disk Utility, select the entire drive and go to the Partition tab. Under Volume Scheme, choose anything other than Current. Even if the drive already has 1 partition, change it to 1 Partition. Then click on the Options... button and choose APM for the partition type.

4. saxman351960 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok. There is more than ample enough space left on the primary hard drive. I formatted it, and put the OS on it. There is 76.5 GB left.

And with the secondary hard drive, it wont let me edit the priveledges.

5. willpower101 macrumors regular

bump. silly that I am experiencing this on two different macs and no one seems to have an answer

6. bware189 macrumors member

Happening to me also using word. Seemingly there's not enough space to do temporary save backups, yet I have 80gigs free. Anyone got a clue on this?

Attached Files: