This just sucks...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iDAG, Nov 10, 2007.

1. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

I'vs gotten to the point where I can no longer enjoy my PowerBook G3! :( The other day I tried to update iTunes and Quicktime on it and I didn't have enough hard drive space to install them. It keeps getting slower, it can,t run Leopard, and I can't use my iPod touch on it I have to use my dad's MacBook Pro. I'm even typing this on my touch right now! I hope to buy a new MacBook 2.2GHz on Black Friday but for now I just have to deal with it. Sometimes it sucks being a teen.

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Maybe you could get a bigger HDD for the PowerBook?

The MacBooks are awesome. Don't hold off from getting one :D

3. iDAG thread starter macrumors 65816

iDAG

Not worth the HD upgrade. It's already upgraded from 10GBs to 40GBs.

4. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Well it is old and all...

5. iDAG thread starter macrumors 65816

iDAG

Yeah, it was my dad's old Mac and now I think its it's time to go...

6. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

When I was a teen, MP3 players had not made it to market yet. I had to share the family's Quadra 610 between five people, surfing the internet on a 33.6kbps modem, so I can't feel too bad for you. ;)

I didn't get my own computer until I started college.

7. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Well you've gotta remember that when you were a kid (judging by your comment that 'MP3 players had not yet made it to the market), the internet didn't mean very much. Schools hadn't really adopted computers etc... in the way they have now, in fact generally computers weren't something kids used commonly. Heck I didn't even start using the internet properly until about three years ago, I'd never even really used the 'net before that, at all.

I'm gonna agree with others, time for a change. The G3 desktops are still kinda viable as computers, but the laptops aren't as powerful and really don't make good main computers. The MacBook is a great machine if you were thinking of getting one.

I've got a MacBook Pro, and my dad uses a MacBook. The MacBook is fine for most things, and I had to use it for two months solidly (whilst my previous MacBook Pro was in for service). Well worth the money (although you'll notice big differences between the MB and the MBP in terms of performance, at least in my experience).

8. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

When I was a teenager, this was the latest and greatest :D

[​IMG]

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yea it's time to upgrade I think!

I didn't have my own system till college. Got some IBM laptop in the first year, second year my parents bought me a veritable super-laptop (which later fell to pieces under the heat). Year later in university it was the powerbook and 2 years after that my iMac! I never thought I'd get my own computer till I had left home too :D

10. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

This is turning into the Four Yorkshiremen sketch!

My ten year old daughter wants a mobile phone. I said I didn't get one until I was 20 (because they weren't really available to the mass market until then). She doesn't understand how people used to communiate before mobiles, interweb, messenger....

11. iDAG thread starter macrumors 65816

iDAG

The reason for a MacBook is all about the cash. I don't have a job and I won't have time for one until the summer because of school and Track coming up. I would love to get a MacBook Pro but I'm not even paying for the whole thing. My dad is still thinking about if he is going to pay for the rest or not.

12. 23am macrumors regular

23am

I just have to say that you nick means "toDAY" in swedish. :D

OnTopic: A had almost the same problems as you have. My iBook started to freeze, and I didn't have money to spend on a new iMac. I hade money on a bank account though, so it was nothing else to do exept of using those money to buy a new computer.
    Wth, I'm just blabbing here, what I want to say is that it is a push in the direction to buying a new computer which have much more power than the old one. :D

13. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I bought a used iBook G3 for $365. 800 MHz, 256 Mb RAM (Upgradeable to 640) and a 30 GB HDD. If I didn't have my mini, I would definitely be happy using at as my main computer. If you bought one and upgraded the HDD and RAM (Which could be funded if you sold the PB) It would make an extremely great Mac until you can afford something new.

14. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

John Cleese is and will forever be a legend.

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

why not get a mini? assuming you have a screen

16. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Well there really is no reason to beat yourself up over not having a brand new computer. I had to buy all of my computers in junior high and high school and did not get a new computer until part way into college. Just get a used computer and pump up the ram and hard drive.

Do you really want to blow a whole summer working to buy a single computer, when you could buy a used one and use the rest of the summer money for fun during your next school year? I'd set the limit at three weeks wages.

Oh and since you have the iPod touch do you really need another laptop you could save a bunch with a desktop.

17. eric55lv Guest

eric55lv

since Apple might come out with a new laptop at Macworld get that once its in stores

18. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

Lucky you.. I don't have a laptop because my mom won't let me have my own computer. She even changed the password to my account so I can only go on if she lets me, and even then there is a time limit. She won't even let me buy a computer with my own money. (Explain that please...)

19. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

just buy it. she cant take it away from you or make you take it back.

20. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I got a chuckle from the "when I was a teen" comments! Here's a pic of a typical computer (though the entire thing couldn't fit in the shot) from my teen years. (And to give a sense of the capacity and power of the day, the main computer on the lunar lander for the Apollo 11 mission in 1969 was a mind-boggling 4K!)

Attached Files:

21. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Yes, she can...she's the mom. Parent's house = parent's rules.

--Eric

22. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

Not exactly the smartest way to get on his mother's good side. That'll just make her take it and leave him out of a big pile o' money.

Mammoth, is she really that anal about your computer usage? I feel sorry for you.

23. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Yeah, my powerbook is getting kind of old too.

[​IMG]

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

My PowerBook still retains that new smell, so long as you stick your nose up to a vent. Needs must.

25. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

awww spewing! my mbp has lost that smell, maybe its been too hot for too long.

to the OP: i would suggest a HD upgrade, 40gb is nothing. the system needs at least 10gb, and formatting will cut off another 5gb....

an 80gb HD costs literally nothing!!! thats my advice