This keyboard concept could solve dust issue but many would hate it

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by elhungarian, Mar 16, 2018.

1. elhungarian macrumors 6502

elhungarian

Attached Files:

2. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Going back to the previous, proven-design "2015 style" keyboard would solve the dust (and heat) issues -- but APPLE would "hate" that, for it would be an admittance that "thinner ain't always better" ... ;)

3. mdbradigan macrumors regular

mdbradigan

I would take it as a "smart input device" which worked in tandem with a 10.5" or 12.9" IPP. Or in an Apple-silicone equipped "iOS Macbook". That would be a neat concept. However, I would be loathe to have it on a Macbook Pro or other "main" device.

That said, I use an external keyboard 85% of the time, and could theoretically continue to do so with this keyboard so, while not exactly welcome... I am not entirely against, if it can be made to be massively meaningful improvement.

I was hugely suspicious moving from a physical keyboard on a phone to an on-screen one.. but the use of screen just became much more important. On a laptop, this is not usually the case. They'd have to have some *incredibly* compelling input methods to make this work in a main device.

That said - the fact that they aren't "done" with input devices, and are still trying to invent new and better ways - this is a good thing in my opinion, even if I don't always like the outcomes (cough - I'm looking at you 12" MB).

4. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

Yes, I would hate that. The >5 year old Apple keyboards kick ass.

5. vemac575 macrumors regular

vemac575

The day Apple implements a touch keyboard is the day I say goodbye. Enough is enough. Soon everything is going to hit a singularity and all Apple products will essentially be ipad pros.

6. 537635 macrumors 6502a

This is exactly the same logic people had when mobile phones dumped the physicals keys.

If they can to taptic engine the same way it worked on iPhone 7 (home button), I'll buy that in an instant. Spill-proof, dust-proof. On the iPhone 7 an average person doesn't even realise that is not a real button.

7. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

"If they can to taptic engine the same way it worked on iPhone 7 (home button), I'll buy that in an instant. Spill-proof, dust-proof. On the iPhone 7 an average person doesn't even realise that is not a real button."

I'm guessin' that you don't do much touch-typing... ;)

8. jerryk macrumors 601

I have the solution. Use this keyboard.

[​IMG]

I am pretty sure Apple know how to make this one right.

9. The Mercurian macrumors 68000

Wow I just said yesterday in another thread we mgiht see an apple pencial compatible touchpad, but I didn't think of a whole keyboard being replaced. While that looks pretty in the video - it would be an absolute nightmare to use and I for one wouldn't by one.

But I would not be surprised if we see a big trackpad with pencil function. Personally I prefer a smaller trackpad so I've no interest, but if they keys including function keys are physical I'd tolerate it

10. 537635 macrumors 6502a

I actually do. But I believe there is room for improvement when it comes to touch-screen typing. Apple has shown that a touchscreen interface can be a sole mean of input on a mobile device when everybody else was still struggling with hardware keyboards and styluses. Many people have already forgotten that.
    Don't underestimate how software could remedy the lack of physical keys. For instance if your fingers would start to slide because of lack of tactile response, software could compensate with an altered position of keys.

11. groove-agent macrumors 65816

groove-agent

Non tactile keyboard? Ugh, that would be a nightmare to type on. You would have to look down constantly.

12. tresmith macrumors 6502

That's not a bad idea. I would change one thing though. I would use slightly raised keys to give people tactile feel.

13. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

The ergonomic implications are completely different.

14. vemac575 macrumors regular

vemac575

Well that's because it's logical. Dumping physical keys is a perfect example to prove my point. Everything will function and look the same. Two panels, one panel, same thing.

15. The Mercurian macrumors 68000

Laptops != phones

16. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

Flying over the rainforest at dawn - Priceless
    That's exactly what Apple wants, cheaper to design & mass produce, disposable appliances with higher margins :mad::( = Garbage...

Q-6