This laptop makes me so happy

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by navaira, Jan 21, 2016.

1. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

So I got the Air 2015 13" i5 8GB 128GB in November. And it has brought me nothing but happiness.

EVERYTHING works. I have a feeling that El Capitan is the first OS X that is optimised only (or to a larger degree...) for certain Apple computers, seeing all the complaints from people, and then others saying they can't duplicate those problems. I have no problems. The keyboard is amazing. The SSD is incredibly fast. I can do almost anything without having to fire up the Big Mac. After a Chromebook with Linux and daily problems this is so... refreshing. I was thinking "I want to send a book to my Kindle app, gotta start up the Big Mac... oh hang on, no I don't have to do so, I can get the Send To Kindle app here on the laptop". I have Photoshop on it. I have my music software on it in case I have an idea for a song and I'm not at home. I have a little adaptor from microSD to SD that cost me $0.58 from AliExpress, I keep my iPhoto library on the 128GB microSD card and use it to move music from Big Mac to Air when something is not on Spotify and I want it in iTunes.

I spent €1079 on this computer, 10% discount thanks to Black Friday. I could have probably had a much "better" Windows machine. But would it make me so happy? I don't think so. This is the same feeling I had when switching phones from Crapaxy S III to Xperia Z3 Compact: suddenly everything works and problems have magically disappeared. Also it's so pretty. And feels so good in hand unlike the plastic Chromebook. The Chromebook was €249 and yet another proof that if you're poor you can't afford to buy cheap stuff. I get pissed off when people post things like "if you can't spend $2999 on a [insert gizmo here] then you shouldn't be using Apple". I spent pretty much as much as I could. And I feel I spent my money well.

I expect this Air to last me five years. Didn't buy Applecare as I am betting on the only problem being battery needing replacement in three years, which costs €100 less than Applecare, and I have two year warranty from the seller. Unless Apple unveils some sort of VR or 3D computing in 2017, I can't see this computer becoming too slow for what I do on it in the coming years.

I have posted my share of complaints about Apple here in the last months. But I have no complaints about this laptop. Of course it could have a better screen, it could have a 1 TB SSD, it could do the dishes and cook for me. But it has fulfilled all my expectations and more. I'm in love with it. It's the best Apple product I ever owned, and there have been a few *ahem*. The 13" size is perfect. The trackpad is perfect. The SD slot is super useful. I use USB slots every now and then as well. The battery is fantastic (I read the Macbook battery problems thread, and then go and check my Coconut Battery and 1.5 months after purchase I still have more than 100% capacity). I'm running 10.11.4 beta without any problems whatsoever.

So just wanted to spread some positivity around here :)

2. Algus macrumors regular

Algus

Yeah my chromebook w/Linux was replaced as my daily driver with a Macbook as well. I still love my chromebook (using it now actually!) but I don't mess with Linux on it anymore. Just use it for casual browsing or if I'm going somewhere I don't want to take my Macbook. I love Chrome OS but it just sucks so much when you need to do something that you could easily do on a Windows computer or Mac but nope, Chrome OS can't run that program. Now I've got the best of both worlds and a quality machine with a lot of horsepower if I'm going to be away from my desktop for a long while.

3. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

The MacBook Air is my dream computer. It's like a chromebook on steroids. Before getting my MacBook I had a Samsung series 3 chromebook as well as a 15 inch Windows laptop. I much preferred the chromebook because it had a SSD and was much faster. It booted up very quickly, was light, had a better keyboard and didn't require a lot of maintenance. The only thing it lacked was a proper computing OS which limited what it could do.

My air has all the features I loved about the chromebook and it runs Mac OS. It's like a gourmet version of the chromebook

4. andreyush macrumors 6502

andreyush

Steve Jobs would be proud of you xD.

Enjoy your Macbook Air :apple::D!

5. navaira thread starter macrumors 68040

navaira

Yaaaas give me that Kool-Aid that I crave! :D

(Apple Music remains a turd though)

6. Sonnto macrumors member

Sonnto

I'm glad I didn't make the wrong choice buying my MacBook Air as well, haha. Sometimes I wish the screen was better, but I think if it was any better, it would increase weight and decrease battery as well. Also, thank goodness I am not exposed to Retina Macs all the time (or ever really unless my friends' are beside me) or else I'd never be OK with my MBA screen.

I agree with almost everything you've said about yours. And mine only has 4GB RAM as opposed to your maxed out one, too!

I really enjoy the sleek design and this is my first ever Apple machine (aside from the iPod nano, iPod Touch, and 5S and 6). It's my first actual computer from Apple. It's the second laptop I can kinda say I picked out (the first one not really, it was bought for me) If I could afford the MBPr, I would have, but it was a wee bit expensive. But MBA is better than no Mac at all. My old Lenovo Windows laptop wouldn't sleep and every time I put it to sleep and closed the lid it would crash. Needless to say, it messed a lot of my work since I'm a student (or anyone's work really...) I really hope this laptop gets me far.

I have had it since 2014 Christmas. I'm Canadian and I bought it in Vegas on a trip there haha. It was on sale. So it was even lower than expected (I think it was a round $USD 899? Don't remember).

There are complaints on the machine, however, they don't come close to the compliments. I love my MBA as well :D

7. r6mile macrumors 6502

I feel the same way. I have a 2013 MBA with 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD. This machine is almost 3-years old and feels as fast as when it was new. My previous 2010 MBP (RIP, died due to water damage) definitely let its age be felt after less than a couple of years, but not this MBA (which unfortunately is having its screen repaired, thank god for free Applecare for UK students)! I plan to keep it for at least another couple of years.

8. Windowsrefugee macrumors regular

Ditto-- I could not be happier with my 2013 13" fully loaded MBA. I love that I can work all day-- leaving my brick/charger behind when I go out for a full day of meetings.

9. andyt3 macrumors member

I have to agree. I just picked up my MBA 13" a few weeks ago to replace my Windows laptop, and have to say, I'm pleasantly surprised! I love how light, and portable it is.

10. dingster1 macrumors regular

Me too! Got a 13 inch for Christmas and love it!

11. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I got a 2015 13" i7 in June, and it's been an absolutely kitten to use... it can be a feisty lion without breaking a sweat if it needs to be, but it's just so nice to use... and price-wise I'm really happy. It's a computer that just sort of hits all the sweet spots for me.

It powers my HD display perfectly, has power to work with enough in reserve so I never feel like it's trying to catch it's breath, and 13" is very nice fro mobile working too.

On a scale of 1-10, my last-gen 17" would have been a 9, my last-gen iMac would be an 8, and the Air would be an 12 or 13.

:)

12. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

I'm loving my 11" Air. Had a Chromebook for awhile but man this is so much better and can be a power horse when needed.

13. Soulman, Feb 9, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2016

Soulman macrumors member

Soulman

I have a 2011 MBA 13" w128GB & 4 GB ram. I can not see a reason to part with it and send $1100 or so.
    I'm completely happy with this unit.

14. mountain macrumors 6502

mountain

15. asoksevil macrumors 6502

My old 2010 MBA is still serving me like a champ and I hope it will last couple of years more :D

16. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

My 2011 Air still runs just fine, and though the screen on my 15" rMBP is certainly better, the MBA isn't appalling.

17. cedwhatev macrumors 6502

cedwhatev

Very true.. I've been an 11.6" MBA user since 2011. I've had two 2010's, a 2012, and now have had my 2013 for around 2.5 years. Never bought AppleCare, and have never had a problem.. it's just that I've become addicted!! The BEST laptop I've ever used, and it will continue to be the only laptop I ever use, as long as it's around.

18. SusanK macrumors 68000

19. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    still rocking with my 2008 MBP, tethered to the desk monitor, traveling with my 11" MBA

20. kingdf macrumors regular

Me too. I have an 11" MBA that I've had for just under a year now and love the hell out of it. It's so small, portable and powerful. I had a rMBP for a year but as soon as my mom got the 11" I was sold on it due to its size. Sold the Pro and got the Air and haven't looked back. My sister and dad also have an 11" Air too. We all love em.

21. Wackery macrumors 6502a

i just bought a 2015 13' air with 128gig storage, it's absolutely perfect and fits so many different applications and isnt outrageously expensive by Apple standards... which is why apple will probably be discontinuing it soon,,,

22. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    UPDATE, the 2008 boots with a ?, not the SSD, so we are looking at a Mother Board,an 11"Air, the 12" MB. Since I am VERY HAPPY with the MB, that's where we are going

23. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

I am not surprised.