Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vanimal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
I fairly frequently see 82-83 degrees C on my i5 rMBP.

What program are you guys using to see temps? Forgive I'm originally from the Windows side when I had my gaming PC with a CPU water cooler and fan control. Never any worry lol.

bibyfok

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
France
Not to be rude but come on, there are plenty.

Well Windows Remote Server Administration Tools to start. Then powershell. Then a proper Outlook as Mac outlook lacks many Exchange integration features. Then Internet explorer for those ****** websites that require it. Then MS project (sorry those Linux and Mac apps aren't Project). Then there are CAD packages which have Linux options but not Mac.

Anyways I'll stop there.
Yeah Powershell & Windows remote server admin... Stuff that belongs to windows server management...
But for any professionnal software, there is an equivalent: Project there are tons of clone that even manage native project file format, Outlook has the Beta 2015 that works flawlessly with any exchange, and for IE, no luck that some website are still relying on non standard code. IE is just PURE garbage, even MS is dropping the name in favor of Spartan.

I work for an extremely large IT company and even if we run under Exchange+Lync/AD/Farms etc many users are running on Mac OS.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Flexicloud, stamps.com app the list goes on.

Not to mention most programs sensor and micro-controller related. You'll have an easier time finding Linux programs for these uses.

Also, 3D Studio Max, and RealFlight 7.5. RF is the best RC flight simulator available and the only reason I have a Dell desktop.

freeskier93

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
What program are you guys using to see temps? Forgive I'm originally from the Windows side when I had my gaming PC with a CPU water cooler and fan control. Never any worry lol.

Different form factor. 70-80*C is pretty typical for a laptop under heavy load.

I'm really baffled with what the OP's expectations were with this laptop. How can you not expect throttling to occur on a fan-less design? Did you not do any research into the Core M?

legioxi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
Yeah Powershell & Windows remote server admin... Stuff that belongs to windows server management...
But for any professionnal software, there is an equivalent: Project there are tons of clone that even manage native project file format, Outlook has the Beta 2015 that works flawlessly with any exchange, and for IE, no luck that some website are still relying on non standard code. IE is just PURE garbage, even MS is dropping the name in favor of Spartan.

I work for an extremely large IT company and even if we run under Exchange+Lync/AD/Farms etc many users are running on Mac OS.

Those project apps are not equivalent to MS Project. Also I haven't tried Outlook 2016 Beta so I can't comment if all the deficiencies are fixed. I agree IE is garbage but you and I can't always choose what systems our companies buy so we get stuck supporting ****.

I'll go through my Win Vm and post more apps later since you still don't believe there aren't always viable alternatives.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Intel States throttling will occur at 95 unless this has been changed

bibyfok

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
France
Those project apps are not equivalent to MS Project. Also I haven't tried Outlook 2016 Beta so I can't comment if all the deficiencies are fixed. I agree IE is garbage but you and I can't always choose what systems our companies buy so we get stuck supporting ****.

I'll go through my Win Vm and post more apps later since you still don't believe there aren't always viable alternatives.

Don't bother do that, I do understand that there are some niche app that do not exactly exist on mac (I do have Parallels with Windows 8 too) but for the mainstream business user, everything is available.
and yeah, you are correct it's Office 2016 :D)

----------

This can be changed by OEM. Intel just gives the maximum recommended

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

iStat Menus and the Intel Power Gadget.

----------

Apple may have set it up differently? I'm sure it's possible - no idea whether it has been done.

nj-mac-user

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
TX

----------

So "sexy" is more improtant than performance for your laptop?:rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with that. It's like criticizing someone for wanting a BMW because they like the way it looks and its build quality when they can instead get a Ford with more torque and horsepower. Some people may not want a car for its horsepower.

GardnerMS

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2007
When I was researching to buy my first MBP in 2009

I have a copy of fusion I can try. This review seems to indicate fusion may be more efficient on the host machine.

http://www.tekrevue.com/parallels-10-fusion-7-virtualbox-benchmark/12/

----------

My rMP seems to throttle and hold around 70C on the CPU.

I read plenty of posts that VMWare Fusion was much better than Parallels... Haven't run it for awhile (misplaced my copy of Windows XP) .. But I'm hoping you have better luck with VMWare Fusion..

mG

thewusman

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2013
Don't bother do that, I do understand that there are some niche app that do not exactly exist on mac (I do have Parallels with Windows 8 too) but for the mainstream business user, everything is available.
and yeah, you are correct it's Office 2016 :D)

----------

This can be changed by OEM. Intel just gives the maximum recommended

Excel in Office 2016 for Mac does not have MS Power query, Power pivot, Power view or Power BI. (Let's just throw in Power Map while we're at it)

Some "powerful" features missing there ... :)

bibyfok

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
France
Excel in Office 2016 for Mac does not have MS Power query, Power pivot, Power view or Power BI. (Let's just throw in Power Map while we're at it)

Some "powerful" features missing there ... :)

Mainstream, let me say it again: mainstream.

Of course you can b*ll**** saying that X or Y application not present on OS X, however, and I'm working on a mac for 15 years, 99% of needed apps have alternatives.
I'm talking about my needs but also a lot of my customers needs. I have seen only 1 client that did not had his software available on Mac, and the Dev was offering a Mac version that was a Virtual box image...

Miltz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
Buying a New Macbook and complaining that it throttles is like buying a new motorcycle and complaining you get wet when it rains. Throttling is expected, how else will a passive CPU regulate it's temperature? Just enjoy it, and as others have said, if you do more CPU intensive tasks for long periods then get the Macbook Pro Retina 13".

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

----------

Nothing wrong with that. It's like criticizing someone for wanting a BMW because they like the way it looks and its build quality when they can instead get a Ford with more torque and horsepower. Some people may not want a car for its horsepower.

Sometimes I forget I am in the MacRumors Forum where what hardware looks like can be more important that it performance.

Thanks for the reminder:apple:

My neighbor is picking his new MacBook up today so I will get to see it tonight. I will be loading up their software.

djbuu

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2015
Lots of interestingly useless dialogue in this thread. "It's throttling" is a funny notion here considering the screenshots. The OP has icons in the menu bar almost across the entire screen, has a ton of applications open, and to top it all off is running a Virtual Machine that is running and also updating the OS which is very intensive work!

The computer is fanless. Gee I wonder why it's throttling?

This workload would be big for any computer and one with a fan would likely be running at full fan speed for the virtual machine alone. If it didn't throttle, the computer would be dead.

This post amounts to "no duh." 99% of users would never do any of the things shown on screen.

hypno

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2012
Lots of interestingly useless dialogue in this thread. "It's throttling" is a funny notion here considering the screenshots. The OP has icons in the menu bar almost across the entire screen, has a ton of applications open, and to top it all off is running a Virtual Machine that is running and also updating the OS which is very intensive work!

The computer is fanless. Gee I wonder why it's throttling?

This workload would be big for any computer and one with a fan would likely be running at full fan speed for the virtual machine alone. If it didn't throttle, the computer would be dead.

This post amounts to "no duh." 99% of users would never do any of the things shown on screen.

It's pretty clear some of these technical people that are bringing up heat/throttling are just being intentionally obtuse to help fuel narratives.

TSloper74

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2014
Throttling under heavy sustained loading is expected on this device. It is an inherent trade off to achieve the form factor that is the 12" Macbook. You can only dissipate heat at a certain rate with a passive system like this. That rate will also vary. If you have it resting on your lap its not going to dissipate as well as if it were on a desk with the A/C blowing across it.

I think it is important to understand what this device is targeted at and what it isn't. Yes you can run any application on this that you would on a MBP but that doesn't mean you should expect the same performance. This device is meant for light loads on average and short bursts of heavy loading.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I think that we know that for other manufacturers; do we actually know that for Apple and the rMB? Asking, not arguing. :)

The chips in use have publicly available data sheets and it's easy enough to see the 1.1 runs at a higher wattage where the 1.2 is .5-1w less. But when my 1.3 arrives I'll be doing some extensive testing.

Thing is there are a couple of throttling threads now and people are under some dumb founded assumption that a cpu at 100% usage is consistant. It isn't and that's where modern cpu's work well. A millisecond unloaded the cpu will clock down below its base clock. This could be seen as throttling but it really isn't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.