This mac belongs to "_" when starting up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by esperanza, Apr 21, 2010.

1. esperanza macrumors newbie

After buying an ibook, and downloading new files from an old work place, a work place window comes up saying that the mac belongs to and the name of the establishment. I was only retrieving personal files from the workplaces mac to my new mac before turning it in. Now I have this window coming up on my personal computer every time my mac starts up.
    Help. How do I remove this while keeping my personal work history for resume purposes?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Can you post a screenshot via CMD+SHIFT+3/4 (and maybe SPACEBAR to just get the "window"), maybe with confident details blurred or otherwise made un-identifiable (with Preview and its Annotation tools)?

Have you taken a look at System Preferences > Accounts > your account > Login Items and seen what is listed there?

Or does that message appear earlier in the boot process? If so, can you tell us when exactly?

3. esperanza thread starter macrumors newbie

Other things, tried on "this mac belongs to...

I have been trying a few things as a learning experience. One of which, was going to accounts, and seeing if this was in the startup items. It wasn't, only one of thing, adobe installer, which I deleted (-). I noticed this 'hide' option. And wondered if the school's laptop's files, from which I downloaded my personal files, may have had some sort of exe (I don't know the mac term) file to put this on my computer.

I have to return the school's laptop next week.

I was using the 'get info' feature to view permissions, and saw myself (the administrator, owner..etc. The guest, and the now the school is suddenly a user only with (read permission). When I went to the accounts menu, I only saw guest, and my profile.

I wondered how I could unhide items.
    I don't see it in the help menu. I see hide though, just not unhide.

This popup window, as this is the only thing I call reference it as, only comes up and disappears right at before signing in or logging on. I guess this is the bootup.

It is a bit annoying as I purchased this computer myself.

Please help.

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Is it one of those either/or items, such that, if hidden, the menu says Unhide, but if not hidden, the menu says Hide?

5. esperanza thread starter macrumors newbie

This mac belongs to "_". Revealing unhide

Hi, Haven't posted in a while. Basically, I don't see any option to unhide, the hidden bits in the menu or by control clicking (right clicking). When getting info on a file, I see a user (LCIBS) which means old place of employment *read only, along with my userprofile, read and write, and a shared profile *read only. However, when going to users on the system preferences I only see shared and my profile.

I was thinking of doing a search to see if a script file comes up with the text about this computer belongs to "_". and seeing if I could change it.
    Would this work?
    How do I just remove this startup window in the first place, if it is not viewable in the startup option area under users?
    Please help?

Is there a file on system that would have this for lack of a better word, exe program executing this box that I could remove?
    Would this be in applications or utilities?
    Is there a hide or unhide feature on a osx operating system like there is on a windows based system, where you would right click and hide/unhide would show up?
    Please help.
    Thanks,
    Murray