Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neomorpheus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2014
Little help here.

I had Boot Cam up and running on my cMP 4.1.

Read that VMWare Fusion can read the bootcamp install and when needed, I would still be able to boot back to my Boot Camp partition. Well, migrated the vm to fusion and it worked great.
Then I tried to boot into my boot camp drive (Win 7 installed on its own drive) and OSX said that I don't have a boot camp partition.

I said, ok, let me remove everything and install again, well, Boot Camp assistant said that my Mac doesnt support it.

Apple's site is useless and Google is also failing me.

Is the only option to reinstall OSX?

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
It was on a second drive and I can't do that, since Boot Camp refuses to believe that my cMP can indeed run the tool.
Mac Pro 4,1 is early 2009 - right?

The BootCamp drive needs to be one of the SATA drives on the sleds (internal) or hooked to certain eSATA PCIe cards. It cannot be an external or USB drive. If the internal drives are not set up to be partitioned in the right way (too many partitions or not enough space,) it will also refuse to run.

With Yosemite, you are generally stuck with the standard hidden support partitions, one main partition, and one BootCamp. There are also issues with drives above 2TB that BootCamp Assistant may solve with the CoreStorage partition layout.

However, you want to use the whole disk. I have been able to set that up by using an older OS version like Lion that does not muck with CoreStorage and use DiskUtility to create a FAT partition on a GUID drive. I then Option boot from the install CD or DVD and reformat the partition from the Windows installer.

BTW, WinClone is great to keep backups, duplicate partitions, rescue them etc.

Your model should support Windows 8: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204048
BootCamp download is here: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1720?locale=en_US

Can you describe your OS version and partition setup including the kind of drive you are using?

Last edited:

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Little help here.

I had Boot Cam up and running on my cMP 4.1.

Read that VMWare Fusion can read the bootcamp install and when needed, I would still be able to boot back to my Boot Camp partition. Well, migrated the vm to fusion and it worked great.
Then I tried to boot into my boot camp drive (Win 7 installed on its own drive) and OSX said that I don't have a boot camp partition.

I said, ok, let me remove everything and install again, well, Boot Camp assistant said that my Mac doesnt support it.

Apple's site is useless and Google is also failing me.

Is the only option to reinstall OSX?
When using a dedicated drive for Windows then BCA is not needed, though s said before in the other thread removing Apple's GPT is - you want Windows to format a raw drive.

Paragon Software CampTuneX might also be an option.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
It was on a second drive and I can't do that, since Boot Camp refuses to believe that my cMP can indeed run the tool.
The suggestion to reset NVRAM and/or SMC will resolve the inability to run the Boot Camp Assistant. I've encountered this a few times at work and that's always the fix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.