This Macbook vs. this Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by airivera, Mar 14, 2011.

1. airivera macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am currently looking at buying a Macbook and would appreciate opinions about this.

I'm looking at two options. A refurbished Macbook, 2 GB with 250 GB of memory or since I'm a student I get an education discount buying a brand new Macbook with 4 GB processor and a 320 GB of memory.

I know that 250 GB of memory is plenty for my uses. But the price difference is only $139 so it kind of seems worth it.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

2. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

I'd do the more expensive one.
    The 4GB RAM upgrade is about $60 in itself, so once you figure that in, it's only 79 more.
    And isn't the 4GB model faster in terms of CPU and graphics? I'm guessing you're talking about the 2.26GHz and 2.4GHz models...

3. airivera thread starter macrumors newbie

4. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

5. Cyberheart macrumors member

Cyberheart

i would go with the more expensive one too...

6. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

New one!

Although, is it worth saving a bit longer? I know you are a student (believe me I know how poor that can be!) but the base MBP is a big step up from the MB. If you plan on keeping it for a few years may be worth considering.

7. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

8. movieboy23 macrumors regular

+1 for iStudentUK's suggestion

The new MacBooks are extremely barebones machines. For just a bit extra, you can jump up to a significantly better & faster processor that will keep you set for at least the next couple years, given your needs.

If you're a resident of the U.S., check out some online retailers (i.e. MacMall & Amazon) for some good price breaks on a brand new 13" base-level MBP. It's more at least twice as much as the extra ~$100-150 you'll pay for it. Also, I've found that buying online can be cheaper than using your student discount since there's no sales tax (depending on your state) and shipping is usually included.

9. airivera thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, I meant they are both Macbooks. Brand new Macbook just meant not refurbished. I don't really want to get a Macbook Pro. It just seems like more money for features I really don't need. Macbook White seems totally sufficient and also Macbook Whites do last a good amout of time. My friend has one that is in tip top condition she's had for 6 years.

10. mr.steevo macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

Neither of them.

The Macbook is due for a refresh very soon. Given the leaps the i5 processors made over the C2D processors in the Macbook Pro I would recommend waiting until the Macbook refresh happens.

11. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I agree. The Macbook will probably be upgraded with an i3 processor in the near future.

12. airivera thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I appreciate your guys opinions. But I need to buy a laptop now for school and I don't really care about getting a super nice Core i3 processor. I've borrowed alot of my friends Macbooks and have been totally content with their speed

Any other opinions? Much appreciated.