This makes macs look bad....

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 6, 2004
I wanted to make this my background and there was a set of instructions on the webpage for pc and for mac. {look at image}

There should be an option in safari to ctrl click something and be able to select "set as background". It would be quite useful as I download a lot of backgrounds and it is a hastle to have to go into the system preferences to change it.

Attachments

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 6, 2004
daveway00 said:
Maybe if you submit feedback to Apple they will put it in the next bulid of Tiger. Its really easy I would imagine.
Good idea, I'll do that right now :)

inlimbo

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2005
Sydney, Australia
Do you have to go through the same process if u r running Firefox? I dont own a mac yet so I dont know... If not, thats pretty stupid - i cant belive apple has not put this simple function into its OS.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Gone but not forgotten.
Sure, that's one of the few places where a Macintosh takes a few extra steps.

As a Windows user, I was never sure where those backgrounds went so I always downloaded them to a certain directory and used the Control Panel to set the wallpaper anyway. ;)

dejo

Staff member
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
inlimbo said:
Do you have to go through the same process if u r running Firefox? I dont own a mac yet so I dont know... If not, thats pretty stupid - i cant belive apple has not put this simple function into its OS.
Yeah, you do. Firefox doesn't have such an option either. And I wouldn't go so far as calling the lack of such an option stupid...

generationxwing

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2005
Calgary
Yeah, that is odd. And I still can't believe that the scrolling trackpad is new to Apple. My schyttee - and I can't emphasize that enough - Compaq laptop that's 2 years old has that. C'mon Apple, you're innovators. These examples are weak!

P.S I'm still getting my iBook, just now a few months later. Stupid car transmission died, so there goes $2000!

sigh.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 6, 2004
MacUser1 said:
Maybe it would be under Mac OS X, then Internet/Web...not sure if that would work though. :confused:
ahh, good idea. I just checked that out and it does work. I should have thought of that though. :rolleyes:

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Seriously, how often does someone change their desktop picture from images downloaded from the web?

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 6, 2004
jackieonasses said:
If You aren't planning on keeping the picture long, just drag-and-drop from the current location (on safari or equivalent) and drag to the desktop thingy in preferences
Where does that place the picture?

I wouldnt like to do that though because I like to keep a folder with all my desktop pics incase I ever want to go back to something.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
killuminati said:
I wanted to make this my background and there was a set of instructions on the webpage for pc and for mac. {look at image}

There should be an option in safari to ctrl click something and be able to select "set as background". It would be quite useful as I download a lot of backgrounds and it is a hastle to have to go into the system preferences to change it.
How does this make the Mac look bad? The one-step download and installation of wallpaper is a serious security risk. Just because the website says that it's downloading wallpaper does not mean it is downloading only wallpaper.

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland
?

If it is a JPEG, why would it be anything else?

Unless its an .exe (and Macs don't have to worry about that), how is a JPEG, GIF, or any other picture format a security risk? All Windows does when you do that is download it, copy it in the User folder\Application Data, while converting it into a .BMP

The only "risk" is if you are at work and put up an "inappropriate" picture. But other than a political/ethical standpoint, I don't see how "Set A Desktop/Wallpaper" is a security risk.

sirius1722

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2004
Seattle-area, WA
Yeah, that was one of the things that miffed me about OS X when I switched. I change my background a lot because I download a bunch all the time (I have over 2000) and I found it cumbersome to go into Sys Pref, and all that.

I did find a program on VersionTracker called [DesktopControl] that lets you drag any image onto the icon (I keep mine in the dock) and it changes the background for you. That DeskShade program looked cool, but I am pretty cheap and DesktopControl is free. :p Sorry if that sounded like a infomercial (its late, that's all that's in my head right now...). Hope some of you can put it to use....

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
MisterMe said:
How does this make the Mac look bad? The one-step download and installation of wallpaper is a serious security risk. Just because the website says that it's downloading wallpaper does not mean it is downloading only wallpaper.
It's not any kind of security risk. You're simply telling the browser to dump the current image's bits into a bitmap file of some sort (JPEG, BMP, etc.) and then use that as wallpaper. This is all well-established and there's no way to create a bitmap that will somehow hijack the user's machine.

That Safari doesn't offer this option is kinda lame.

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
daveway00 said:
Maybe if you submit feedback to Apple they will put it in the next bulid of Tiger. Its really easy I would imagine.
Yes

Some thing can be done a lot easier and it would not require a lot of work from apple either :rolleyes: hope it comes in Tiger :D