Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macphipsi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
I am trying to get rid of my macbook pro and transition to an imac+air setup.

I found the following trade on c-list. Please let me know whether you think its in my favor or not.

Giving:

2010 15" 2.66 i7 macbook pro with 4gb ram and 500gb hdd. AppleCare through 2013(June)

Recieving:

2009 27" imac 2.8 ghz i7, 12 gb ram, 2TB hdd and like a year of applecare left. Was purchased in 2010...

Both computers are in great condition with original boxes and startup disks. What would you do? take it and run? ask for cash in addition??

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
From a pure monetary perspective it is poor deal, as the iMac where never as expensive as the 15" MBP nor as sought after (impact resale value) and it is older too.

From a value perspective it is not really bad. The i7 is a lynnfield and quite a bit step up from the Notebook. The GPU is either as good or better depending on which it is.
If you have an Air already and just want a faster desktop with a big screen it is gets you something better for you.

Personally I would this display and keep my MBP. Then again I am not a huge fan of small notebooks and I hate glossy screens and if I wanted to go desktop I would get me a cheap powerful upgradeable PC and no imac.
For me it is a bad deal I would rather sell the notebook. Maybe you can sell it and get more money than a used 2009 imac costs. Wouldn't surprise me but from a pure value perspective it seems like a good deal for you. You would probably not save a huge amount of money if you sold and bought somewhere else and just waste a lot of time looking for deals. Time is money.

macphipsi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
See, I had an apple display and my MBP set up in a desktop fashion. I always felt sluggish and like i was wasting the portability of the mbp. i sold the display already for more than i paid for it(YES PLEASE!). and now im trying to sell the macbook pro.

I think i will try getting a little bit of cash out of the deal as well. That would make it a better deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.