This makes sense now.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by andalusia, Apr 21, 2009.

1. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Does this temperature make sense?... The battery is out and it's plugged into the mains, but surely the enclosure bottom is wrong? It's a very odd number.

[​IMG]

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Just a tip, it's not good for your computer to be running off the power with no battery inside. Sure, it isn't exactly using the battery, but why take it out? It can't be overcharged - the computer is designed to stop charging as soon as it hits 100%. In saying that, it is also designed for the battery to remain in place even while it's being run from a different power source. I suggest putting the battery back in ASAP.
    If you put the battery back in then that temperature should start reading correctly. The fact that it's an inaccurate number shows that not having the battery in place isn't the best idea.

3. andalusia thread starter macrumors 68030

andalusia

Ah. I was under the impression that if you left it plugged in charging it would wear down the life of the battery... Oh dear. I left it running all day on a download without the battery. x3
    Thanks for your help.

4. RDM3 macrumors regular

I always thought the same, leaving it plugged in all the time will run down the life of the battery, so every so often I just unplug the power and run the battery down then charge it back up.

5. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I am under the same impression. In fact, I'm almost completely certain that leaving it plugged in without proper cycling would shorten the battery life quite substantially.

I think it is perfectly fine to run on power without the battery.

I don't know about that negative temp on that enclosure though.

6. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

7. ux4all macrumors regular

ux4all

If you have an HDD, then there is a big concern about what happens if you lose power while the drive is at full throttle.

I just wonder what the hardware impacts of a instant shutdown are.

8. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Hmmm, good point.

9. RDM3 macrumors regular

Probably the best way to keep that from happening is to have a UPS Battery Backup on the MacBook, if the power goes out it stays on for a little while at least, hopefully you can get to it and shut it down before the backup power runs out or just install the software that comes with the UPS and it will shut it down for you.

I also have my EHD on my UPS so it won't get damaged from an instant power outage.