This may be a sleeper

Discussion in 'macOS' started by aceducy, Oct 26, 2007.

1. aceducy macrumors member

I mean, come on. Tiger was already so good how do you make a windfall product that blows away it's legacy? You don't.

Leopard is ok, but not near the fever pitch to plop down $160 - just wasn't in line with what it really delivers.

Yea, it's cool. I like the finder. I like the backup thingie if I can get it to work w/NFS. I'd VERY much like to see ZFS taken a bit more seriously too. Heck, I like all of it. But I'm still on my seat. This whole thing reminds me of Win95 to Win98. But it was necessary, just not exciting. Wonderwoman jumping rope is exciting, this ain't exciting.

Everybody's running all over each little menu, application and system pref to find what's changed and we're all finding the same thing - not much. A transparent menu there, a new button here.

And where's the SCALABLE screen fonts?

2. elbows macrumors regular

It may get a bit more exciting if many developers use that Apple Core Animation stuff in future Leopard-only releases of their apps.

Or that may not happen and the next big wow will be if/when some larger multitouch apple goodies emerge and give us some large leaps in UI and the design of many apps. I suspect that Core Animation may go hand in hand with this possible future, but I could be completely wrong.

3. jellomizer macrumors 6502

jellomizer

I got it just for the Backups. Yea it doesn't do NFS but thats OK Even if I can just plug in an external drive I am happy. The problem with backups before they were just a lot of work and never designed for a laptop. After working all day the last thing I want to do is manage a Backup Program.

4. jellomizer macrumors 6502

jellomizer

If you are happy with Tiger then stick with it. There is no reason for you to migrate then you are perfectly welcome to use the older version. You can probably get years of useful life from Tiger. There are some more internal features that I prefer other then the backup. I security and 64 bit features are the bigger plusses for me.

5. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

you paid $160.

I have a bridge to sell you.

6. danpat macrumors newbie

Australian pricing is A$158, but if you pre-ordered from the right reseller you could save $20. Currently no official Apple Stores in Oz, untel next year apparently.

Oh, and we got it before you too.

7. mashinhead macrumors 68020

i agree about this feature. i thought it was one of the most amazing things about the iphone