This may be a stupid question, but..

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cocky jeremy, Mar 1, 2012.

1. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

When the 2012 iMacs come out i plan on buying the most upgraded one. (Everything except RAM, i'll do that from Crucial) This means i'll be getting the 1 TB HDD + 256 SSD (Unless that is up to 2/3 TB HDD's and 512 SSD's) This is something i haven't thought of until just now, but how do i use migration assistant to move only my applications to the SSD and all of my info to the HDD?

Also, will i be able to access /Jeremy/Music on the SSD to use files from the HDD or will i just have to make separate folders on HDD and link them to my Finder sidebar and have my actual user folders empty? Basically, is there a way to link the HDD files to the SSD drive so it "feels" like my files are on the SSD?

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Please read:

http://pondini.org/OSX/SetupLion.html

It will explain all of your questions, however use Setup Assistant instead of Migration Assistant. Setup Assistant is what occurs when you turn on any new Mac for the first time. SA and MA are cousins, similar but different. The primary difference is MA will create an extra user account and migrate your data to the new account whereas SA will migrate everything to your normal user account. It's extremely simple if you read the directions.

3. cocky jeremy thread starter macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Awesome. Thanks a lot. Once i started thinking about that it kind of had me worried. lol. I was afraid i was going to have to manually move everything off the SSD once it was setup.