Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matto1020

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2007
I currently have a custom built PC that has Windows XP on it. The specs are:

AMD Anthlon 2800+
1 GB Ram
Radeon 9600 128mb Vid Card
200 GB HD

Would it be possible to go to an Apple Store and purchase a copy of Mac OS X and install it on this computer and basically turn it into a Mac? If so...could I use BootCamp to have two machines in one?

Sorry if this is completly stupid but I am a Mac newbie :eek:

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I currently have a custom built PC that has Windows XP on it. The specs are:

AMD Anthlon 2800+
1 GB Ram
Radeon 9600 128mb Vid Card
200 GB HD

Would it be possible to go to an Apple Store and purchase a copy of Mac OS X and install it on this computer and basically turn it into a Mac? If so...could I use BootCamp to have two machines in one?

Sorry if this is completly stupid but I am a Mac newbie :eek:

Simple answer.

NO

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Geez guys, take it easy on the newbie.

The Mac OS will only run on an Apple box (legally). If you want to switch, get yourself a Mac mini. You can use your existing KB, mouse and montor and then use Boot Camp to install and run XP if you need it.

Matto1020

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2007
Haha thats cool guys!

I have never owned a Mac but am planning on a Macbook Pro here in about three weeks and well...I was hoping for something to satisfy my thirst. Unfortunatly the OS X wallpaper on my desktop isn't doing it :D

By the way...to the person above me...I love you Avatar. "The 400 Blows" is one of my favorite movies (actually all the Antoine movies are great):)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.