This Might Be A Dumb Question... (do I need have my iPhone close to me)

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by sjc83, Mar 16, 2015.

1. sjc83, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2015

sjc83 macrumors 6502

sjc83

If I get an iWatch do I need have my iPhone close to me, would I be able to leave my phone in my car at work and getting notification on my iWatch?

Thanks,

Sam

2. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

No it has to be fairly close to you.

3. allenshi macrumors member

well they said it also works if the phone and the watch is on the same wifi network.

4. pragmatous macrumors 65816

It works over Wifi and bluetooth.

So if you're gardening and your phone is in your house and your wifi has a long enough signal you could leave your phone in your house and just use your :apple:watch.

Bluetooth has a ~30ft distance so you can leave it on your dresser and workout in the next room with it on.

It will NOT work if you leave your phone at home and try to use your watch at the gyms wifi - it has to be on the same wifi network.

Hopefully future generations of the apple watch will have cellular capabilities so you can do what you're asking it to do. I'm thinking you won't see that until Apple can figure out the battery problem.

5. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

Wrong, they never said that.

Nope.

The wifi in the watch is used to connect directly to the phone. The watch will not connect to a wifi network.

6. JFazYankees, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2015

JFazYankees macrumors 6502

JFazYankees

7. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

You are incorrect. The whole point of the Wifi support was so you could leave your phone in one section of your house, and have your watch connect to it wherever you go in the house. That is done by having both devices connected to your router.

8. TimUSCA macrumors 6502a

TimUSCA

You couldn't be more wrong on both cases. It absolutely does work over wifi, and it uses bluetooth for direct connections.

9. JFazYankees macrumors 6502

JFazYankees

You're half right. That is the point of the watch's WiFi support, but it cannot connect directly to a WiFi network. Apple Watch uses WiFi only to directly connect to an iPhone, not a network.

10. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

You're incorrect. They DID state that if you're on the same wi-fi network on your phone and watch, you could be further away.

11. matthew23 macrumors regular

Wrong.

12. JFazYankees macrumors 6502

JFazYankees

He's not wrong. The Apple Watch is unable to directly connect to a network, but can directly connect to an iPhone using either WiFi or bluetooth.

13. Mr.C macrumors 601

From my understanding it uses an ad-hoc or direct wi-fi connection with the phone and does not connect using a wireless network/router.

14. pragmatous macrumors 65816

15. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

16. Ray Brady macrumors 6502

Half of the people in this thread are wrong. The rest are incorrect.

Unless I'm mistaken.

17. allenshi macrumors member

18. Uccle macrumors regular

Thanks for that link. I've been wondering about the wifi support and this explains it. No, we will not be signing into wifi networks using the watch but we will get a distance boost. Now we need to get the darn thing in our hands and see how far the connection can be stretched.

19. Foss macrumors 6502

Foss

There was an entire section in the presentation that stated that via wifi, your iPhone and Apple Watch would remain connected if they are on the same wifi network. I didn't see any ambiguity there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5osYMY5n3Q

1:14:40ish

20. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

He doesn't say anything about being on the same network. He says that Apple Watch communicates with your phone over wifi as well as bluetooth, so you don't have to be in bluetooth range.

They just were using home as an example of where you might not have your phone with you.

21. allenshi macrumors member

Thanks, i was trying to find that.

22. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

This is incorrect - no one at Apple has ever said the watch will connect to a wifi network, and after the first keynote it was confirmed to reporters that the wifi is used for a direct connection only.

From the press release:

23. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I guess no one really knows the answer.

24. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

Do you have a link to anything saying that the wifi can only be used to directly connect to an iPhone, not through a router? Because it really makes no sense and Apple would have to be a bunch of morons to make it work like that, since the watch would have to have a Wifi transmitter powerful enough to reach through an entire household. Goodbye batteries!