This might be why no turn by turn GPS yet....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by snook911, Sep 11, 2008.

1. snook911 macrumors 6502a

Got an email from AT&T today and this was part of it:

PLUS
    AT&T Navigator can turn your LG Shine into a portable GPS navigation system.
    AT&T Navigator service provides precise, audible directions and full-color moving maps, allowing you to navigate to your destination with ease.

With 10 million business listings available, a handy program to find the lowest-priced gas in the area, and automatic traffic alerts while driving, AT&T Navigator makes getting to your destination that much easier.

Service starts at just $9.99 per month.

This was for the LG shine but I think this might be in the iPhones future. $9.99 a month for turn by turn.

2. trunksu macrumors 6502

right now that is for almost every AT&T phone BUT the iphone. heck the new yahoo search site is only for every phone but for the iphone too. :eek:

3. geist262 macrumors newbie

I am getting sick of AT&T ripping me off. For 30 bucks a month, there should be unlimited texts IMHO. If I have to pay 10 dollars a month for something that should be free, I will just use my regular GPS that has turn by turn and doesn't cost a cent to use after the initial purchase of the unit.

4. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Agreed. I hope there is a one time cost for turn by turn and an option for subscription for live traffic.

5. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I'm not buying this theory. There's already too much information out there about TomTom already working on GPS software. Besides, AT&T allows the Blackberries to have the Garmin software.

I'm guessing that GPS software will be ready when it's ready. After all, AT&T isn't as money grubbing as Verizon.

ft

6. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

AT&T can only charge cause it's their own software.

If Apple, TeleNav, etc. made their own, then AT&T has no control at all over that.

Now, teh Blackberrys have to pay a subscription fee for something like Garmin Mobile.

Hopefully when TeleNav releases theirs, it's a one time fee.

However, seeing as updates are free, I think it might come as a subscription...otherwise TeleNav would have to relist their application every time they want to charge for a map update.

7. trunksu macrumors 6502

i personally think ALL carriers should make texting free. i know there's a congressman (in the news) already questioning the pricing of all the major carriers regarding texting saying it's all too much and consistent.

8. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

I don't buy that. Gps is not network dependent. ATT can't tell apple what software to allow in the app store.

9. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The problem is that they can't use Google Maps for Turn by Turn GPS, part of the ToS. They would have to either load their own maps onto the iPhone, or created iPhone formatted files to stream, but that would interfere with radios, with all the GSM noise.

TEG

10. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

I'm not saying that is the reason for no TBT GPS right now, but it wouldn't surprise me if AT&T does have some say in what apps are on the phone as part of their agreement with Apple. They may want some apps blocked that would otherwise compete with services AT&T offers, even if they're not network dependent.

11. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Well, App Store applications are capped at 2 GB :p. And it would be nice to have offline maps...

That's totally why AIM, MobileChat, etc. are still there :p.

12. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

it's about time somewhere questioned the text messaging rates.

13. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

Hey, I didn't say they were doing it. I just said I wouldn't be surprised if they had a clause in their agreement that gave AT&T some say.:)

14. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

39.99 for voice + 29.99 for data + 9.99 for SMS + 9.99 for turn-by-turn + 29.99 for tethering... = arm and a leg.

Nickel and dime, nickel and dime. And people wonder why I don't have an iPhone.

I know the iPhone doesn't have tethering or AT&T Navigator (yet), but it's ridiculous how everything is 'extra'. Oh well, still better than Rogers.

15. geist262 macrumors newbie

I read this article somewhere too. Of course they will give them some time to formulate a reason for the high prices. Its pretty lame that the technology is not state of the art, but your paying like it is.

Here is a link

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gVL6W3UjbldS3ZNTivfFptpARpOAD933HR680

16. icewing macrumors 6502

BOHICA. I'll be glad when we can switch to a service provider with reasonable rates.