This might sound weird

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by prplx, Apr 10, 2012.

1. prplx macrumors newbie

This is a problem I had before with leopard, but very sporadically during the last year and a half... It has happenned 4 times since I downloaded Lion 10.7.3 yesterday.

My computer plays a song, always the same (Helter Skelter from the Beatles FWIW) by itself. I have seen such things posted about ITune starting songs by itself, but... This is not Itunes! If I look into Itunes, it does not play the song. If I click on a song, it will play it over Helter Skelter, playing both smultaneously. If I quit Itune, the Beatles song keeps playing till the end. I have no other music playing software. I close everything but the finder, the song keeps playing. Then it stops at the end of the song (I've got blisters on my fingers!)until it starts again at some impredictable point. Any idea, or is my computer simply possessed? :D

2. viktorlsn macrumors member

hahah yeah this is weird, but i think i got this a time ago xD
    i think its when you put a song to play when you receive a new email, or when adium sents a notification, I'm not sure... take a look at system preferences>sound.
    good luck anyway !

Viktor

3. prplx thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes that would make sense, that some program uses that song as an alert sound. But I see nothing in my sound preference... Maybe in the preference of the programm in question... But wich one?

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Check your Dashboard widgets. Nearly every time I've seen someone say they had an issue like this, it was due to a Dashboard widget they didn't remember installing. Just close any you don't need, and uninstall any you aren't planning to use.

jW

5. prplx thread starter macrumors newbie

Give the man a cigar! I never use Dashboard, so that is why it rarely happened before. But sonce switching to Lion, my mouse setting have change and I often load dashboard by accident, And this was what was starting the song! I remove everything in dashboard, and it no longer does it. I put back all that was there and it still won't do it. And why that song of all the ones in my music library? I might never know. But thank you Mal!

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I'll skip the cigar, but glad it worked!

jW