this moron needs help 1 day old mack book pro crashes constantly

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shadstarn, Oct 16, 2011.

1. shadstarn macrumors newbie

can you guys help me .. i started noticing that my mac book pro 15 inch made in california intel i 7

gets crash and broken graphics.. when i start using ati 3d graphic card in windows AND OSX it happens automatically .. sometimes it happens because you use 3d graphics and sometimes automatically.. i can't really understand why and how to fix it..

how can i fix it there?

i have no dvd.. no recovery hd because botocamp somehow messed it up

i am new to mac and i wanted to install windows from a usb.. I WAS SUCH AN IDIOT AND took advice from youtube video and installed REFIT .. i did not know it was a firmware editor..
    i did not even know it was going to void my guarantee .. my mac is 1 day old...
    did i void my guarantee?

yes i did install mac from internet .. without my recovery hd.. which id not know how to get .. and i can't have a backup of lion because mac doesn't let you download lion again.. just to putt on a separate hd..
    ITS ALL A MESS

i am broken hearted because i thought mac was going to be easy and now if indout that the refit thing has ruined my life...
    in pc you format and every thing is dandy but on mac seems like .. i can't even use D nor C to get into hardware utility to even test if my mac is broken

as you read before i can't have a recovery hd so i can't even backup my software i payed for...

now as you read my biggest issue is that i can't run anything using the ATI card because the mac glitches and hangs up...
    i wonder if its the refit that has messed up totally so even if i format i can't truly get the right experience out of this

if there is someone who can make me use my mac get the use my ati card on my macro... btw i am not a noob i used benchmark tools .. and same happens in windows even without bench mark tools ...because windows uses apple boot camp drivers from ati.

i am so annoyed.. we don't even have a genius bar here in norway we just got boring retailers who probably don't now what to do.

what i am so sad for is if i did void guarantee unknowingly installing the refit i thought refit was a driver not a firmware editor

i can't even find a true mail support from apple to get help from.

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

OSX is not Windows, it pretty much works without hacking it to death. Same goes for the BIOS, OS and hardware. Don't treat it like you would Windows.

There is a restore partition, hold Command-R while booting before the chime.
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/recovery/

PS why bother with the benchmarks?

3. shadstarn thread starter macrumors newbie

i did bench because i got screen crash in windows which was for ati grpahics card

so i did bench under osx to make sure it was okay but it seems its pretty much not okay... the graphics card crashes on osx too

do you tihnk a clean install gets rid of the REFIT thing? maybe it wasnt the refit then .. that wa sthe problem becuase i did recover already

it still crashes..

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

They don't make any MBPs in California it is all Chinese work. ;)

Getting rid of refit is very easy just follow the instructions.
    http://refit.sourceforge.net/doc/c1s3_remove.html

rEFIt doesn't void any warranty. Just uninstall it. It also has nothing to do with any problems after startup. If the launching one OS somehow takes too long or doesn't work properly it may be the fault of refit after the OS, whichever, is running it cannot be refits fault.

The people who work in those retail stores in europe aren't usually as generous but in expertise they are no worse than the Genius guys in the US. Here and there work some very informed people some complete idiots.

The GPU might be faulty. If there are serious problems in OSX it is probably a hardware issue. In Windows it may be bad drivers if you installed overclockable ones and not the bootcamp edition, but I doubt you did.

Bring the Notebook back and let them repair it or send it back with the 14 days and order a new one. Norway isn't EU but I am quite sure you got the same laws in this respect.

5. md301 macrumors member

hi

i thought they are made in taiwan not china:)

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Point is don't treat your Mac like you would Windows. If you're a hardcore tweaker, gamer, cases with neon lights or the idea of water cooling gets your mojo on then stick with Windows.

7. abdu2s macrumors newbie

Why are you panicking so much?

Just insert dvds that came with your laptop and do a format and re-install

If you don't have the DVD buy it from anywhere(Snow leopard)
    it's just 39 $

then download lion again .

You'll not lose your purchased software!!! you have Serial numbers for them, download them again

8. LeiQQ macrumors regular

LeiQQ

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Used to be made in Taiwan a long time ago. Now it's just china. A lot of iPad and iPhone parts well mostly screens are made in Taiwan.

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

I don't know about you, but if I was getting kernel panics and whatnot right out the box, I'd return that computer instantly.

Perhaps you may want to do this.

10. Takashi macrumors regular

Agreed. I sense massive panic from someone (Thread starter) who is trying to treat / fix a mac like it's a windows machine. Unfortunately, it does not work that way. Like all OS, you have to play by the rules of that operating system and follow its protocol and procedures.

If you want to use windows on a mac, you have to use bootcamp to create a windows partition (NTFS) + system drivers and then you boot into that partition and install windows with your own DVD.

To reinstall OSX Lion, you can access the build in recovery partition (requires internet connection) as no recovery discs are given. It's mentioned in the apple support website. The idea is very similar to what PCs have been doing for the past 10 years where the recovery partition is placed in the system hard disk. The only difference is that PCs will prompt you to make a copy of the recovery DVDs whereas macs doesn't.

If your computer comes with OSX Snow Leopard recovery discs, just stick them into the drive and reinstall the OS. You can then log into the app store (once everything is working again) and download Lion using your own account. If you are going to go this way, you can create Lion install DVD before you upgrade your computer to OSX Lion (Oh yes, there is a post located in this form on how to do that).

Good luck with your mac and remember stop treating it like a PC.

11. Mojo1 macrumors 65816