Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacUser09

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
UK
Please forgive me if this is not the correct forum for this.

Since updating to iOS 14.5, I keep getting a privacy warning on my 2.4 Ghz network on my iPhone.

It says, "This network is blocking encrypted DNS traffic.
The names of websites and other servers your device accesses on this network may be monitored and recorded by other devices on this network."

It then points me to Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and Access points.

I don't get this on my 5Ghz network and haven't changed anysettings on my phone or router. (Asus AC86U)

Any idea on what might be causing this and how to rectify?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Hope this helps. For each network, there is a privacy toggle accessible by touching the round circle i. I have it disabled for my home networks. Maybe check the toggle for each ssid in your home network.

Reactions: MacUser09

oldskule

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2021
If you have Traffic Analyzer enabled in your Asus router admin, it's likely the cause. This is because It can't analyze traffic if you are making encrypted DNS requests so it blocks them when that is enabled.

Reactions: drew_macular

Doqi8

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2021
Hope this helps. For each network, there is a privacy toggle accessible by touching the round circle i. I have it disabled for my home networks. Maybe check the toggle for each ssid in your home network.
I have the same issue. I didn’t really get what you said, can you please rephrase it a bit. what should I disable so that the privacy warning goes away? What is the privacy warning all about? your answer will really helpful.

Airforcekid

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
United States of America
I have the same issue. I didn’t really get what you said, can you please rephrase it a bit. what should I disable so that the privacy warning goes away? What is the privacy warning all about? your answer will really helpful.
That setting wont resolve this issue. Your network is blocking encrypted DNS such as DNS over HTTPS. If its a work or corporate network that makes sense since they want to view your traffic at home I would see why its being blocked and try to use secure DNS when possible. nextdns.io, 1.1.1.1 and Quad9.net are my general recommendations.

aogilmore61

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2021
That setting wont resolve this issue. Your network is blocking encrypted DNS such as DNS over HTTPS. If its a work or corporate network that makes sense since they want to view your traffic at home I would see why its being blocked and try to use secure DNS when possible. nextdns.io, 1.1.1.1 and Quad9.net are my general recommendations.
This doesn't resolve the issue either. After setting dns to nextdns.io on my router and 1.1.1.1 on the IOS device it still gets the privacy warning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.