This normal?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Arkanok, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Arkanok macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

I just bought a new sr mbp and when i look in the activity monitor, under the system memory section, where it says how much memory you have free, i've noticed that when i start the computer, it shows that i have about 1.5 gb free or so, after a bit of usage, even just doing basic stuff, if i look at it it ends up saying something like 600 mb free.... So i look in the process's that are currently running and i cant find anything that would add up to missing about 900 mb of ram.

Now I'm not a computer wiz here, and I'm new to macs in general so i dont know if this is normal or not, but it just doesn't seem right to me. So, can anybody tell me if this is normal or not, and if i should worry about this?

2. 66217 Guest

Take into account that the inactive memory (blue one) is also like the free memory (green one).

3. dex22 macrumors regular

That's normal...

It pages in a lot of memory for things like updating your spotlight database and so forth, and it reserves a bunch of memory as a cache too.

Have you got iStat Pro - the widget to end all widgets? You'll see your machine gets busy doing something every minute or so, and at the same time, your memory usage changes...

iStat Pro, you know it makes sense.

o/` iStat, uStat, everybody TruStat o/`

(gawd, I just showed my age!)

*this message was brought to you by an iStat FanBoy - their first!

4. Seidoger macrumors newbie

Unix systems will always use all the RAM there is. What's the point of having it if it's not used? is how i see it! :p

5. Arkanok thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Ok that takes the worry away!

Thanks for the info guys.

p.s. I just downloaded iStat pro, really cool widget!