This or That?????

Lopez.T.H.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
239
0
I would like to either get an iBook, eMac, or Mac Mini. I would love to have a computer on my bed surfing the net (iBook) but then I might want more power (eMac or Mac Mini). Im sick of sitting at my desk. but the eMac is the 2nd cheapest and has a built in monitor and more power. Mac mini is the most affordable. ARGH cant make up my mind. Any suggestions?
 

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
2,669
0
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Lopez.T.H. said:
I would like to either get an iBook, eMac, or Mac Mini. I would love to have a computer on my bed surfing the net (iBook) but then I might want more power (eMac or Mac Mini). Im sick of sitting at my desk. but the eMac is the 2nd cheapest and has a built in monitor and more power. Mac mini is the most affordable. ARGH cant make up my mind. Any suggestions?
If you qualify for the free iPod, get the iBook + iPod and sell the iPod.
 

Lopez.T.H.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
239
0
wha???????? i tried for a free iPod and got craploads of spam (gmail) so i had to abandon that email and get a new 1.
 

Lopez.T.H.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
239
0
I dont need an ipod. i got a shuffle. how discounted can these computers be? if its more than $200 im in. but otherwise no.
 

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
4,400
3
Lopez.T.H. said:
I dont need an ipod. i got a shuffle. how discounted can these computers be? if its more than $200 im in. but otherwise no.
That's why you sell the shuffle!
 

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
772
0
Or sell the iPod Mini on Ebay. You should be able to fetch at least $140 or so for it.
 

Lopez.T.H.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
239
0
I NEED MORE THAN $120! The friggin iBook i want is about $1000. $900 with student/teacher discount. And i dont want to sell my PC.
 

xli_ne

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
788
0
Center of the Nation
Lopez.T.H. said:
I NEED MORE THAN $120! The friggin iBook i want is about $1000. $900 with student/teacher discount. And i dont want to sell my PC.

well then FRIGGIN start saving. So $900.00 for the ibook, take off the 120-130 for the mini, thats 820 or so, which is close to 200 bucks off the original price, not too bad. And with your first post...

I would like to either get an iBook, eMac, or Mac Mini. I would love to have a computer on my bed surfing the net (iBook) but then I might want more power (eMac or Mac Mini).
An emac or mac mini isn't going to be much more powerful than an ibook. The mac mini is basically an ibook in desktop form. emac being more powerful with the better graphics card and faster HDD. But it sounds like you want an ibook anyway, if you can't afford a new one, get a used one or a refurb. Apple right now doesn't have any refurbed ibooks, but just keep checking.
 

thehuncamunca

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2003
447
0
NJ
ibook is going to be as powerful as mac mini and almost as good as the emac

i just bought a 14" ibook for 1199 tax free in DE, i got a free printer and ipod too with that so when i do the rebates and sell those on ebay it'll end up costing me $1000
 

Lopez.T.H.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
239
0
I browsed on apple.com and chose out my ibook and the airport experss and a couple uprades. And its the iBook G4 1.2GHz 12inch. I dont need a bigger screen. i just surf the net listen to my iTunes chat via AIM and some other instant messaging programs. I will mostly be dong schoolwork on it. I found either a refurbished or used one i dont know. can somebody please check this out.

http://stores.nextag.com/bigdeals4you/product.jsp;jsessionid=256D56CA3473071F0DD55D099774BEDC?nxtg=2e669_8BFCC20903DBD8F2&product=66008678

^ long link :)
 

Lopez.T.H.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
239
0
Will the new upgraded iBooks be any cheaper than the Power PC ones? And are the iBook G4's CD-Drives slot loaded or do they pop out? <- I was looking at the Mac MINI.
 

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
10,635
0
Working for MI-6
If you want/need portability, than the iBook is your best option.

If that is not the case then go with the eMac (better performance, expandable, includes monitor/keyboard/mouse, etc...)
 

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
10,635
0
Working for MI-6
Lopez.T.H. said:
Hm... didnt read the later posts did ya?
Actually, I did- I just missed the post where you decided to go with the iBook G4 (Darn, no scrolling wheel on my Apple optical mouse). Enjoy your new iBook.
 

Lopez.T.H.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
239
0
I found that iBook for $790.. Too good to be true for a

G4 iBook 1.2GHz
256RAM
Combo Drive
30GB HDD
Built-in AirPort

Basic model huh?
Is that a good price or not? The iBook on apple.com has all of that with a $100 student discount.
 

dylomel

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2004
58
0
ibook

It sounds like a fairly good deal to me. is the $790 one a used / refurbished one?
 

Lopez.T.H.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
239
0
I dont know I emailed the sender. They did not give me a direct answer. They said well heres the letter they sent me

the ibook is brand new in the original box, factory box, newer open or used.
the ibook have paper for 2 years international warranty.the price is so low because our agecy inport this ibooks directly from Japan.
for shipping our agency use Express Delivery Shipping www.eds-shipping,com , the delivery time will take about 3 days and for payment wire transfer
we will ship the ibook from Romania
if you are interested to buy from us please reply
best regards


Yea...... Im not too sure what all that meant. Link to the site

http://stores.nextag.com/bigdeals4you/product.jsp;jsessionid=EE56BEF9D24D58040F88FEADF3AF5DEC?nxtg=33267_4A128C5BD6DCA8C7&product=66008678

Its a long link. Tell me what you people think about it.
 

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
4,400
3
Lopez.T.H. said:
I dont know I emailed the sender. They did not give me a direct answer. They said well heres the letter they sent me

the ibook is brand new in the original box, factory box, newer open or used.
the ibook have paper for 2 years international warranty.the price is so low because our agecy inport this ibooks directly from Japan.
for shipping our agency use Express Delivery Shipping www.eds-shipping,com , the delivery time will take about 3 days and for payment wire transfer
we will ship the ibook from Romania
if you are interested to buy from us please reply
best regards


Yea...... Im not too sure what all that meant. Link to the site

http://stores.nextag.com/bigdeals4you/product.jsp;jsessionid=EE56BEF9D24D58040F88FEADF3AF5DEC?nxtg=33267_4A128C5BD6DCA8C7&product=66008678

Its a long link. Tell me what you people think about it.
Sounds like a scam, I'd stay far away from that one.
 

Lopez.T.H.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
239
0
I was reading all about an iBook on apples website. And i like how the casing is made of polycarbonate <- (uhh incorect spelling.) matereals, the stuff used in bulletproof glass. I can understand that because schools are using them. My little sister goes to a grade school where she got 1. Its not as good as that G4 i think its a G3. 700Mhz 128 RAM. Thats 4 times less MHz than my PC. Which is 2.8GHz. And i want to buy an AirPort for wireless internet.
 

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
11,983
364
Ummmm.....

Comparing MHz on a Mac and a PC is like comparing apples and bar stools. My 1.2GHz iBook absolutely flies compared to my parents' 2.4GHz Celeron so don't think that MHz or GHz can really be compared across systems.

Oh, and you got the spelling of Polycarbonate correct, it was materials that you misspelt.

Have fun saving for your iBook, if you can get the education discount and the free iPod mini it's a damn good deal. You can sell the mini on eBay (if you can stand to part with it after seeing it - it's far prettier and more useful than a shuffle) and get some more money back.
 

Lopez.T.H.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
239
0
Yea.. All i have to save is another $600 to be safe with tax and all. And the AirPort Express. It will be almost like a "permanent" connection. But I will take it with me when I have to. Im gonna love that computer. I have never had a laptop with wireless internet. Just gotta get my ass working. And I dont think Im gonna have a hard time giving up the Mini. I never really liked the mini iPods, just the shuffle and the 20 - 40 GB ones.
 

Lopez.T.H.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
239
0
That $780 iBook I found. The sender sent me another message I asked if the machines were in the jappanese language. No, but they had Windows XP on them. Im gonna have my iBook ordered soon. Or could I go to the Apple store in the local mall and ask for the iBook I ordered online. (the same specs).