Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poematik13

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2014
On Mavericks I was going from 2-3gb max ram being used on idle, now with Yosemite its eating up anywhere from 6-7gb on ide. Just for reference I have 16GB in a mid 2012 15" cMBP

Why?

MacMan988

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2012
I don't know exactly why. But it is pretty and thats all Apple wants it to be (in my opinion).

But you can open Activity Monitory to check if there are any processes consuming higher amount of RAM.

nobodyjustwalks

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2013
RAM usage seems fairly stable to me. No difference from Mavericks. Screenshot below. This is with a restart and no other apps open except Activity Monitor.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    47.9 KB · Views: 240

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Memory pressure is the only thing that matters unless you're troubleshooting actual problems. If your memory pressure is in the green you're good to go, just ignore how much RAM is being "used".

jev425

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Seattle, WA
Not sure if mines a ram issue but on my late 2012 mac mini after a restart it seems to do something with the hard drive every time and it slows down my mac quite a bit

orbitalpunk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2006
On Mavericks I was going from 2-3gb max ram being used on idle, now with Yosemite its eating up anywhere from 6-7gb on ide. Just for reference I have 16GB in a mid 2012 15" cMBP

Why?

That doesn't sound right. Possible memory leak? Im have safari, messages and mail open right now with little snitch, keyboard maestro and copy/past clip board manager running in the background and I'm at 4gigs of ram in use on a nMP. Doesn't make sense

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
That doesn't sound right. Possible memory leak? Im have safari, messages and mail open right now with little snitch, keyboard maestro and copy/past clip board manager running in the background and I'm at 4gigs of ram in use on a nMP. Doesn't make sense

Like I said above, memory pressure is the only thing that matters. I have have 10GB "used" (of my 16GB) right now and I only have Safari and Mail open. If the OS doesn't need more RAM for something it'll keep old things active in RAM (they'll be included in "used"). On the off chance you open something that needs something it kept around in RAM it'll be faster to load. If it starts to get cramped (memory pressure starts to get high) the OS will drop some old things out of RAM to make room.

Do not read into the "used" RAM!

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK

Why?

It doesn't matter, I'd be more concerned if it wasn't using it. It is not an issue.

poematik13

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2014

I just have chrome and itunes running mainly. When i woke it up this morning it went down to like 4-5, so idk.

now that i think of it, its probably because last night i was going through and opening all of my apps to make sure they all work with yosemite, and theres probably a ton of stuff stored in the ram now because of opening all them

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
look less at activity monitor and more at your content. especially since you have 16gb of ram. i have 4 in all my computers and it still works like a charm.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
my MBA regularly says 7.99 out of 8 in use with almost no memory pressure and i don't notice any problems running programs.

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2009
Not sure if mines a ram issue but on my late 2012 mac mini after a restart it seems to do something with the hard drive every time and it slows down my mac quite a bit

It might be Spotlight indexing your hard drive, which can cause your computer to become slow until it completes (especially with spinning hard drives that are slower than SSDs). I have heard people experiencing this before when upgrading to new versions of Mac OS X. I am not sure about Yosemite in particular, but this is what you would see in earlier versions of Mac OS X if Spotlight is indexing itself: http://cdn.osxdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/mds-updating.jpg

dannyg86

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2014
I find this strange.

In Mavericks, i was generally using about 4>6gb with 5>6 apps open out of my 12gb of available memory.

In Yosemite, it starts at 6gb and keeps climbing up to 11.98gb with only the mac app store downloading.

I have also had the "out of memory" pop up, and had interface builder on xcode bum out my system the other day, apparently it was using 60gb of ram (on a simple storyboard).

Seen other ridiculous memory consumption figures too for other apps. I'm not being a hater, i love Yosemite, but unless this is the norm now i think I'll go back to Mavericks for the the time being, as i'm a dev and make a living on this iMac.

Had the same problem on my Macbook Air, both fresh installed. What's the deal? People are saying this is how OS X handles memory since Mavericks, but i never, ever saw such consumption on Mavericks...

Thanks for any comments

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007

Why?

Is this on a fresh boot, or is this after playing around with new apps? Mavericks and Yosemite both hold onto recently-used apps in memory for a while, so that might be what you're seeing (I see that also).

dannyg86

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2014
Is this on a fresh boot, or is this after playing around with new apps? Mavericks and Yosemite both hold onto recently-used apps in memory for a while, so that might be what you're seeing (I see that also).

Thanks for the reply.

This is on a fresh boot, with only opening the activity monitor app alone. I've had it installed for about 6 hours and rebooted 4 times since.

Have about 6 apps installed, and very little hdd space used, so afaik indexing and such is all done now.

Cheers

Edit: oops, you were replying to someone else. Sorry!

dannyg86

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2014
Usage dropped down to the normal 2-3gb now.

Really? I'm still sitting on 11.98gb/12gb usage. Did it just go down on it's own after x period of time? Or did you do some stuff prior to it happening?

Going to try some additional stuff before I make a decision on downgrading. Hopefully others have some additional info.

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Really? I'm still sitting on 11.98gb/12gb usage. Did it just go down on it's own after x period of time? Or did you do some stuff prior to it happening?

Going to try some additional stuff before I make a decision on downgrading. Hopefully others have some additional info.

I don't want to keep repeating myself, but... Since Mavericks it doesn't matter how much RAM is being "used"!

I would feel bad for you if you downgraded because of what a completely meaningless number said.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I admittedly don't check how much ram is being used unless there is a problem, but Yosemite seems to be running faster on my computer than Mavericks did, so I wouldn't complain about much.

poematik13

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2014
PS this is off topic but, i HATE how this OS handles audio thru displayport connections. Im listening to itunes and then plug in my HP z24x to see something on it, and the music cuts out. Im like ??? and I check system pref and I guess Yosemite automatically routes audio to a monitor whenever you plug it in.

lame

mattjohnson78

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2014
Southern California
I notice that I am using less RAM on Yosemite than what I was using on Mavericks. I have been using iStat Menu to keep track of my computers performance and have seen a great improvement overall since moving to Yosemite, and I have been on Yosemite for the past 2 months so I have had time to test it.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
"This OS is a RAM guzzler"

No, it's not. I don't know why people don't understand, but in reality, the more RAM that is being used, the better and faster the system will run.

simon48 is kind of right with his statement and, I am not trying to be patronising, but if you don't fully understand what you're looking at, then stop looking and let the operating system do what it needs to do with the memory.

Foxcon84

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2014
New Brunswick, Canada
Idle RAM is considered wasted RAM. OS X is incredibly intelligent when it comes to RAM distribution. The less often the OS needs to page to secondary memory the better (less wasted time and less CPU I/O calls). Everything is great!

GrumpyTrucker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2014
And if the OS is STILL paging out to secondary memory? I've consistently got 7.9+ of 8GB 'used' in Activity Monitor, GB's of Virtual Memory and up to 100's MB of swap used at any one time even with very little open. iStat Menus keeps reporting 2GB used despite the above. I'm getting occasional, but annoying, beach balls when clicking menu items and am wondering how people with 4GB are going on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.