This Pic is So Cool! How Would I Recreate This?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by VideoNewbie, Jan 13, 2013.

  1. VideoNewbie macrumors 6502

    Feb 6, 2009
    i know its an animated gif . but how would i make that static effect?

  2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

    Mar 22, 2010


    Motion Blur.


    Filter >Artistic > Film Grain


    Filter > Distort > Wave
  3. VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

    Feb 6, 2009
    are you saying to create multiple layers with the fx u listed above?
    it still wouldnt produce the same realistic quality of the pic i posted.
  4. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

    Sep 3, 2009
    If you have After Effects, there are are several plugins that you can get to achieve that precise effect. I might assume that that's what they used. AE also comes with several presets to achieve the effect.

    If you've got it, I can explain how to do it.

    Otherwise, what the other guy said.
  5. citizenzen, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013

    citizenzen macrumors 65816

    Mar 22, 2010
    It wouldn't? How do you know?

    Perhaps I'm confused by your OP ...

    When you said, "i know its an animated gif," I assumed you meant "I know it's animated, but I need to achieve a similar static effect in a still picture."

    Otherwise, why make a point about it being animated? You'd just ask, "how do I achieve this effect?"

    The decision then is choosing which frame of your animated GIF you wish to replicate. That's the key difference between still photography and animation: in still photography you don't get the added effect that sequential frames of images provide.

    Or so I hear

    Though you seem to doubt that a static TV effect could be pulled off in Photoshop, I assure you that it can, using the techniques I listed along with other basic Photoshop functions.

  6. thekev macrumors 604


    Aug 5, 2010
    You're making it more complicated than it really is. Gifs like this are not complex. It has a few frames. Look at them individually. Pick the one you want to emulate, and go from there. There are complex things which would need to be picked apart by hand. This is not one of them. This can be replicated well enough via filters. If you're referring to the tones, that's another issue. If you're trying to recreate a certain tonality or film look beyond what filters and pre-built LUTs can provide, it often involves a certain amount of illustration skill.

    There's that too ^^ Anytime there's a cheesy overused effect of some kind, you can find a plugin aimed at recreating it in less time:p.
  7. VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

    Feb 6, 2009

    i am downloading after effects as we speak.
    pls explain thank u for ur help!


    okay so if its so simple would you please try recreating it on any picture ? id really like to see how this would turn out with just a few easy uncomplicated photoshop layers which is what you are suggesting .

    here is an image [​IMG]

    if you can show me how u would make this image look like the image i posted id appreciate it thanks


    i didnt say it couldnt i said the effect wouldnt look exactly the same. its going to look really choppy.

    the gif i posted looks like one continuous looping video which if broken down would be way more than just 2-3 layers. i dont mean this facetiously, but since it is so easy for you would you mind making one off any sample image to demonstrate ? thank u citizenzen
  8. MhzDoesMatter, Jan 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013

    MhzDoesMatter macrumors regular

    Jul 1, 2002
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Just wanted to say that at first read, I thought you meant how could you make a "static image," not a animated image of "static," as well. Just another case of message board misinterpretation. After Effects is the Photoshop of video. Though, I imagine there is some cheaper specialized shareware app that does that effect and only that effect. It's only a matter of finding the right application with the right filter plug-ins and exporting your gif.
  9. R1PPER macrumors 6502

    Oct 1, 2008
    1 minute in Photoshop. Draw some lines in illustrator. Drag them in float selection and float layer move around and play. You need to be able to use PH to do this effect. If you want distorion as well. get effect right thin use the warp tool.

    Didn't realise you wanted it animated...if this is the case. Then its an after effects job would be easier than hand animating a loop.

    Attached Files:

  10. thekev macrumors 604


    Aug 5, 2010
    I never volunteered to do it for you, but I will offer some explanation. The important thing is that you stop trying to view it a single package. Bring it into something like preview or photoshop where you can view individual frames. If it can done with filters I'd guess a polar coordinate version of a radial blur and some distorts. You may have to layer them. If you have to do that by hand it will take much longer cutting it into strips. The vertical offset can actually be done with the filter offset. You may have to mask this in on parts, as you can see the image is not always affected in its entirety. If you just view this as a black box where it's all one thing rather than a built up approach of different elements, you'll never understand it. After Effects as mentioned might have a filter. They often exist for this kind of stuff. They package various actions just like you would with a script. It offers less control than doing something by hand, but obviously it doesn't take very long if you need to replicate it.

    Anyway I'm saying something probably exists as a plugin, but if you want to do it by hand, you'd need to address each thing separately. The vertical scan motion is completely different from the wavy distortion. The black bars that darken in parts are another thing. Don't try to make them into a single action if you're doing it by hand (I emphasize if). Just handle them one by one. It's not very long, so I'm not sure I'd even bother with keyframing here.
  11. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

    Sep 3, 2009

    File> import the video or image that you want to use. Create a new composition by going to composition> new.

    Drag your video/image into the composition.

    Out of the box, AE has several presets that can maybe achieve what you want.

    With your video/image layer selected, type "bad tv" into the effects and presets box on the right. 3 different things should come up. Double click on each one until you find which one you want. Make sure that your layer is selected when you do this, and that you cmd-z (undo) one preset before choosing another.

    You'll probably have to tweak the properties in the effects panel in the upper left (it may be in a tab and not visible).

    As a background, this is a preset, not an effect. It applies multiple effects with tuned settings to your layer.

    If none of these get you the effect you want, google a tutorial on it, since they exist, or look at the plugin that I linked to in my last post (though it's kind of expensive)

Share This Page