This pisses me off damm ipad app store

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Stirolak123, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Stirolak123, Mar 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2011

Stirolak123 macrumors 6502

I was showing someone ipad features like the pages app being able to store word files and read them from emails sent, but to my surprise it wouldnt allow files to be stored or read and edited with jpegs or tables on them. And it woukdnt even store or read pdfs. And I couldnt even figure out what app would as I figured Numbers may work but thats not really for doc files but powerpoint files. So I was stuck in showing him what he could do with an ipad in terms of produtivity. Get your **** together apple. Then, what made it more sae is he proved how useless the ipad is compared to netbooks for productivity because unlike with acrobat there is no ipad app that allows you to open and edit a pdf file and convert it into word. I was dumb enough to look up "convert word to pdf + iPad" in google and this windows app (free) is theonly thing that I got and no it wasnt on the app store for some reason:
    http://www.hdvideoconverter-mac.com/pdf-converter.html

Whats up with that? Converting pdf to word should be basic stuff man, basic acrobat old version stuff.

2. SpeedFleX macrumors 6502

Numbers is for Excel aka xls / xlsx
    Keynote is for Powerpoint aka .ppt/ pptx
    Pages is for Word aka .doc /docx

Acrobat has a free PDF Suite and a Pro.

Goodreader on the iPad is what Acrobat is to Windows

Also iAnnotate is pretty good when it comes to drawing things on pdf

Converting .pdf to .doc just sucks and is not just basic stuff you will never get 100% of what it was before just keep the orignal .doc if possible.

And researching a subject is never "dumb" , it's part of life ;)

3. Stirolak123 thread starter macrumors 6502

The pages app wouldnt open a table file or aninstructions booklet that is even word. It would take the tble and formtting like jpegs off of it so only words remain. Goodreader would open it but you cant edit it in good reader.

4. SpeedFleX macrumors 6502

I use quickoffice I don't really know much about pages just played around with it on a friends iPad with a simple .doc

Quickoffice can save to .pdf open .doc and .ppt and .xls, edit .doc, .ppt and .xls

and it's all in one suite so that what I use on the go anyways http://itunes.apple.com/app/quickoffice-connect-mobile/id376212724?mt=8

5. Zelnaga macrumors regular

Tip: Always try the software before hand before you show someone, because from the sound of the story. You made yourself look like a fool.

Get your facts straight :)

6. Stirolak123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Can it convert between those files though? Like open a pdf and save it into word?

7. mrrish macrumors regular

mrrish

No, this is not a very common thing to do. It's not apple's fault and it's not the developers' faults. Can I ask why you want to convert a PDF to a doc file?

8. Stirolak123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Who cares if its common he is a tech writer doing instructional manuals and wanted it.. Every netbook or windows based laptop can do it as evidence by that free app I linked plus in acrobat. And I looked up acrobat on the app store and didnt see it why?

9. SpeedFleX macrumors 6502

maybe he should stick to netbooks, and maybe you should search for pdf in the app store and not acrobat since Adobe has not brought out their own software to the app store. Adobe has yet to make Acrobat Reader nor the Pro version (which can Edit PDF's and save them to .doc, the Free version can't) availble for iPad, thats Adobe's fault, not Apple Software nor the iPad Hardware.

10. Mabus51 macrumors 6502

PDF notes in the app store is your friend. And it's free.

11. Stirolak123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yiu basically make a point for ign ans why they call ipas owners sheeple. An overpriced large iphoneor a handicaped overpriced netbook with less features.

12. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

This isn't Apple's fault. Microsoft has made is very hard to properly open Word .doc files with complex formatting and have them properly formatted in anything but Word itself. Try this on a desktop computer with Pages and you'll probably end up with a similar result. The OpenOffice.org people have spent a lot of time reverse engineering the .doc file format to get them to open properly with OpenOffice. Hell, even .doc files will often look different from one version of Word to another! And that's Microsoft's own software!!

DocsToGo by DataViz, available in the App Store, does a better job with complex Word documents than Pages, by the way.

13. Stirolak123 thread starter macrumors 6502

So docstogo or open office?

Btw, why is no one bringing the rezlly expenaive software from the desktop and redesigning it for the ipad? Notice we mostly get the cheaper apps from dektops not the top end stuff.

14. Stirolak123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Also, if microsoft messed up so badly why do business people love office so much?

15. SpeedFleX macrumors 6502

prolly cuz people who love stuff are automatically sheeple no? M$ sheeples.

I don't know if you know what the Cebit is, but a bunch of big IT Businesses get together and guess what, most of them had iPads.

so, if Apple messed up so badly why do business people love iPads so much?

16. Stirolak123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Remember thst thread I made about the touchaecade dude who hates tablets and the ipad? Well he just made a good point there:
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?p=1625738#post1625738

"Who cares about benchmark? The issue here is software, not hardware. Specs aside, the software that a tablet offers cannot compete with the software that a laptop offers. It will never compete in the software department. I don't why anyone would ever buy a tablet over a laptop."

He makes sense. His profile:
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/member.php?u=50161

17. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Because laptops weigh more than 1.3 lbs and are thicker than a legal pad.

18. Stirolak123 thread starter macrumors 6502

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?p=1626413#post1626413

"A laptop has limited portability, granted, but so does a tablet. But if hardware is truly useless without great software, then there is no way that a tablet can ever compete with a laptop. Not in that realm. Not in the realm of software. Not in the realm of functionality either, at this juncture. Or features, or harddrive space, or benchmark, or basically anything."

He said that recently as well.