This plan is either genius or stupid

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Egil, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Egil macrumors newbie

I saw someone propose this idea in the "Waiting for Montevina" thread, and I wondered if it would actually work. Say I was to go to an Apple store right before September 15th, buy a MBP, get the free iPod, and get the discounted printer, all as part of the Back to School deal. If Montevina was released on September 16th, could I then return the MBP but get to keep the iPod and printer? Or would I have to return all of them? I know that someone had said that if the MBP was ordered from the internet, I would have to cut off part of the box to get the iPod rebate, thus incurring a restocking fee if I returned the MBP. However, someone else said that by buying the MBP in store, I could have the rebate applied right there. Any insights? Is this just a stupid idea?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Returning the computer used to get the rebate voids the rebate.

3. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

Excuse me, but it doesn't look like a fair play game.

4. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

+1

5. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

seems perfectly fair to me. And smart. Will they let you? That's a different question.

6. tri3limited macrumors 6502

read the rebate terms and you'll see as the second post says. remember your serials would have to match up to the rebate and your product and by returning the serial changes.

7. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

It is the wrong to do, ethically speaking, and they are not stupid, you will have to return everything or do an exchange. :rolleyes:

8. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

they won't give you the rebates for the printer or the ipod until after you reached the 2 weeks return policy.

you'll end up paying for those freebies.
    and, don't you think APPLE have people thinking the same way you are thinking... but the difference is they're working for apple, preventing other people from taking advantage of the promo..

sorry!

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's illegal, but you can do it. You will need to return the printer because you need to cut out the UPC for that, but you don't need to cut any UPCs for the iPod and they sent me a check in 3 days, so yes you could technically return the computer, iPod, and printer and get $300 from Apple. Good luck in prison though.

10. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

If you return or exchange the mbp wouldnt you have to pay the restocking fee anyway?