This PowerBook G3 is brand new to me and I need help with it please!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by realheavyd, Mar 22, 2010.

1. realheavyd macrumors newbie

I just bought a PowerBook G3 off of EBay and the battery is deader than a doornail. Where is the best place for me to look for a good replacement battery and can someone please explain to me exactly how I am supposed to be able to remove the old dead battery from the machine? I just can't tell how it is supposed to come out without me breaking the thing in the process and I don't want to do that. Thanks. Derrick

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

First off.. I have to ask: why did you get a PowerBook G3? Those things are ancient. Could you not have gone for a G4? It's so old that you're going to have lots of problems with getting it to work well with modern technology. Even your web browsing experience is going to be significantly hampered. What OS do you plan on running? If OS 9, do you plan on interacting with other computers? I don't want to sound snobbish or anything (my own computer is 6 years old, after all), just curious.

Check out OtherWorld Computing for a battery. They should be able to sell you one that works. As for getting it out, there should be some screws that will do it. You may have to unscrew the whole bottom, I don't really know. On my computer, there's simply a large screw that unlocks the battery.

Which model did you get?

3. diacritic macrumors regular

If i recall correctly, and if this is a pismo g3, there should be a latch on the front. Pull it towards you and the battery slides out from the side.

4. realheavyd thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advise on getting a G4 over a G3 but this was so cheap it just made sense for my budget. Thanks also for the link to OtherWorld for the battery.

It is a pismo and I found the latches! Very cool. I am all set to go now. Thank you both for your input very much!

5. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Im curious as to how much you paid.

6. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Me too. And once you consider usability into your budget, I'm still curious as to how you came to the conclusion that it's your best choice. Again, I don't mean to sound snobbish or anything, I'm just curious as to why someone would get a PBG3 for anything other than sentimental/historical/similar reasons.

7. rootsmaneuver macrumors member

Congratulations

you just bought the best Mac ever created.

(IMO):cool:

8. psingh01 macrumors 65816

Well the good news is that I think they make a current Firefox version for OS 9 :)

9. molala macrumors 6502a

Congratulations. I do like those PB G3's, they are sturdy and the battery bays are versatile. I hope you get good use out of your machine, I sold mine when it was 9 years old. It still ran OS10.3 and all ports still worked, but having newer/faster laptops around, I only powered it up twice a year.