Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applegeek13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
I have A PowerMac G4, specs in my sig. I just reinstalled Leopard on it, and it still kernel panics. How can I fix this? Is it worth selling and finding a new computer?

trickyred

macrumors member
May 17, 2010
I had that a few weeks ago. It was the RAM on the logic board, not the user accessible slot underneath.

Imhotep397

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Yeah 9 out of 10 times kernel panics are hardware related. If you have an upgraded video card like the ATI Radeon 9800 it may have gone bad. The best plan is to strip everything down to the basics of what it shipped with and then start adding components back in until you catch the crook.

trickyred

macrumors member
May 17, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Do you have the Apple Hardware Test disc?

applegeek13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Do you have the Apple Hardware Test disc?

I do not, unfortunately. I'll start pulling things out, starting with my PCI USB card and the old RAM. Thanks guys!

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
I do not, unfortunately. I'll start pulling things out, starting with my PCI USB card and the old RAM. Thanks guys!

If it's legal (not sure) I will happily share my G4 test disk with you. I can just make a disk image for you. I will confirm how big it is and maybe someone else can confirm if it's legal to share that. It's a disk from 2003 that works on all G4 towers.

Being a former owner of 2 MDD's myself I had this issue with a bad memory stick. I am about 95% sure that is what it would be. You can test without the test disk though by simply trying to run the system for a while in the same situations with one stick out at a time. When/if the KP's stop you then know the stick out of it was the culprit.

applegeek13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
Well, it started doing this before I got new RAM, and the number/frequency of the KP's changed whenever I'd move the old stick. I'll change it out now. Thanks!

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
Well, it started doing this before I got new RAM, and the number/frequency of the KP's changed whenever I'd move the old stick. I'll change it out now. Thanks!

That leads me to believe it is your old stick that is the problem. Let us know how things turn out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.