Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bear

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Morn said:
Well it's made in china :p
But this is not only annoying for us but bad business. Think of the cost to apple of having to pay techicians for time and pay for parts in fixing these problems. Warranties :p
If you had read the thread, you would've seen that the Quad in question was put together in California.

As I said earlier, there is no way this unit should've been shipped at all.

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
I just finished reading this thread, and now I will have to check my quad when it comes in today to make sure it is working condition. Sorry to hear your power mac. I agree with everyone about Apple's quality of reps and build quality, over the years they have been good until this year and this order.

Bear

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
The current estimated ship by date is December 6th for the replacement Quad. That sucks as it's an additional 2 and a half weeks from when I got the system that should never have left the factory.

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
Bear said:
The current estimated ship by date is December 6th for the replacement Quad. That sucks as it's an additional 2 and a half weeks from when I got the system that should never have left the factory.

Did you get any free upgrades or anything for the issues that you had?

Bear

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
ipacmm said:
Did you get any free upgrades or anything for the issues that you had?
Are you kidding?

Although, I'm writing up my experience and will probably be sending a letter (with the photo showing the damage) to 1 Infinite Loop, attention to Steve Jobs. (Yes I know he won't likely read it, but it'll maybe get to someone who can do some good.) I'll be outlining the original issue, the problems I had with the replacement process. Along with anything else pertinent I can think of.

Maybe the letter will get me something free.

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
Bear said:
Are you kidding?

Although, I'm writing up my experience and will probably be sending a letter (with the photo showing the damage) to 1 Infinite Loop, attention to Steve Jobs. (Yes I know he won't likely read it, but it'll maybe get to someone who can do some good.) I'll be outlining the original issue, the problems I had with the replacement process. Along with anything else pertinent I can think of.

Maybe the letter will get me something free.

I would also talk to the retentions department, Apple gave me a set of FX6021's when it took them a month and a half to fix my powerbook...

Bear

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Replacement is on the way...

Just got the shipping notification. The tracking information on FedEx's website says I'll have the machine Monday.

brianwhi76

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2005
It's nice to hear that this matter was attended to in a timely manner.

What people have to understand about quality control, is not every piece of equipement is inspected. It's a nightmare to even suggest this.

Systems are built on assembly lines, and one person installs drives, and another installs a power supply. It is entirely possible that the system was damamged 4 people down the line.

Now, think about the reprocussions of going to your supervisor, or lead person, and explaining to them that you just broke a computer, and it has to be sent back to a different station to be repaired.

So, you take your chances and hope QC doesn't inspect this particular computer.

No thought is given to the end result, because said person has manufacturing quotas to keep, and money to make. Said person probably doesn't even know what the finished product is supposed to look like. And, I'll garentee they don't care.

Now, why are manufacturing jobs going elseware???

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
brianwhi76 said:
What people have to understand about quality control, is not every piece of equipement is inspected. It's a nightmare to even suggest this.

yes, but the trouble is that the Quad in question could not possibly have booted OSX to start with. If you are paying 3 grand for a computer and they can't even be bothered to do just that, it really speaks load about their QC doesn't it?

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
brianwhi76 said:

Systems are built on assembly lines, and one person installs drives, and another installs a power supply. It is entirely possible that the system was damamged 4 people down the line.
I'm afraid you've contradicted yourself here - from what you've written at least 4 people have inspected it (assuming they work with their eyes open that is).
The whole point about QC in industry is that it's there to prevent faulty goods getting to the public. This would have been much cheaper for Apple to fix had it been caught on the line instead of in the end-users home.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
brianwhi76 said:

I used to work in an electronics factory that produced CRT monitors, they had the contract for 15" tubes for the Fruity iMacs. (I saw those iMacs about 2 months before they were announced.)
I can tell you that every single CRT got checked at every stage of production (I was in charge of the process that put the graphite matrix on the inside of the front panel of the CRT) and every iMac off the fabrication line got QC'd.

stevep said:
The whole point about QC in industry is that it's there to prevent faulty goods getting to the public. This would have been much cheaper for Apple to fix had it been caught on the line instead of in the end-users home.

The cost of reprocessing a defect tube at my process was about 60p if the defect was detected at the last QC point it would cost about £45.

brianwhi76

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2005
stevep said:
I'm afraid you've contradicted yourself here - from what you've written at least 4 people have inspected it (assuming they work with their eyes open that is).

That's exactly my point. No one cares anymore. I've seen it first hand.

I used to make paper for a profession. Let me tell you I can't count how many times my fellow co-workers said "can't see it from my house".
Guess what, the mill was closed down shortly after Jan 2002.
These types of attitudes are what is killing the American manufacturing sector.

It is hard to do your job correctly. Many places are about quotas, and quality slips through the cracks. Gotta get these out today....Gotta get these out today.

Apple has not tharnished their image, nor are they going to suffer because of the recent "climb" in errors. We are just hearing about problems more because of the ease of which it is communicated now.

I'll bet, their replacement targets are the same as it was several years ago.

olnikkormat

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2005
dual 30" display on quad work around?

Hey y'all

Sorry to cross post from another threadm but after posting I noticed the last post was well over a month ago... Anyway,

Does anyone know if it would work to use two video cards in the quad instead of buying that insanely priced quadra 4400 card? I run dual 30's on my 2.7's and I set them to mirror each other. I don't know if that makes a difference. I am more of a user than a tech guy. Any help would be totally appreciated.
Thanks!
d

Arcus

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
of my hand will get me slapped.
brianwhi76 said:

Nighmare? I work in manufacturing. EVERY DAM THING I BUILD gets final tested. EVERY LAST UNIT. Thousands a week. Nothing would leave my line like that

brianwhi76 said:

Again, final test the dam thing, at the very least boot it. Wer arent talking minis heres. I get better QC from a used car dealer if I buy a car that costs less than a dam quad. No excuse

brianwhi76 said:
Now, think about the reprocussions of going to your supervisor, or lead person, and explaining to them that you just broke a computer, and it has to be sent back to a different station to be repaired.

Bad supervisor! I encourage my employees to bring me problems and also present solutions. I reward them for thier honestey and NEVER EVER punish them for simple mistakes. I applaude thier honesty and make sure they understand that this happens and its OK. Costs my company far less money to handle these things this way. I get employees that understand its ok to make a mistake sometimes. We are all human. I treat them as such

brianwhi76 said:
No thought is given to the end result, because said person has manufacturing quotas to keep, and money to make. Said person probably doesn't even know what the finished product is supposed to look like. And, I'll garentee they don't care.

Company and supervisors fault

brianwhi76 said:

I dont have an answer to this. Sorry.

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
olnikkormat said:
Hey y'all

Sorry to cross post from another threadm but after posting I noticed the last post was well over a month ago... Anyway,

Does anyone know if it would work to use two video cards in the quad instead of buying that insanely priced quadra 4400 card? I run dual 30's on my 2.7's and I set them to mirror each other. I don't know if that makes a difference. I am more of a user than a tech guy. Any help would be totally appreciated.
Thanks!
d

i know this doesn't help, but i'm curious why do you mirror the 30" display?

olnikkormat

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2005
mirrored 30's

I do a lot of photo work and it's great when I can see and the client can see what we're shooting at the same time. Also, 30's look pretty bling on set. ;)

mikeyredk

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2003
brianwhi76 said:

So, you take your chances and hope QC doesn't inspect this particular computer.

This is why american manufactures are lagging in quality behind japanese and european manufactures. A system of Lean Six Sigma encourages and demands faults be made aware instantly, when they are found a team is released to the problem site and it is defused quickly. What if this wasn't the only computer? What if there was a miscalibration(sp) in the mechanical screwdriver?

lawgraphix

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2006
Another one bites the dust. :(

Just for the record, I too received one of these Quads. They just jammed my the drive into the drive slot. It bent the drive secure tabs and rails. I was quite disappointed. I will email you pictures at requests. I do respect Apple still. If anyone knows where I can report this let me know, I was really hoping to let Apple know that their QC is not that great and some compensation would be nice. I didn't pay $4000+ for imperfection. I got the system late December 2005.

Specs: QUAD G5, 1GB RAM, 500 GB HD, 7800 GT videocard, Bluetooth + Wireless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.