This Quote Sums Up Apple's Attitude

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by izzisdashiz, Jul 16, 2010.

1. izzisdashiz macrumors member

"To investors, you know, you invest in the company we are, so if the stock goes down $5... I don't think I owe them an apology."

Love it or leave it. I've had no problems with my i4, but that's still harsh.

2. Corey213 macrumors member

very very harsh. I know i'd be pissed if i was an investor because I bought more than a phone

3. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

you people don't get that investing in a company you believe in is more about the long run and not about short term gain.

people who don't see that and feel like this ruined tehir short term gain without believing in what apple believes in don't deserve an apology.

and apple is right to believe so.

4. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

Honestly, that was the one part of the entire conference I could fully get behind. Once a company has resigned itself to doing everything possible to better its stock price, the product suffers.

You can't do the right thing and see continual growth. Eventually, you start making decisions that sacrifice long-term gain for short-term profit. This makes Wall Street happy, but not your customers.

(And this is from an Apple stockholder)

5. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

People may find the truth harsh, but just because some people have a bad reaction to it doesn't mean it's a bad sentiment.

As an investor, I believe Apple was trying to make the most successful phone they could. As long as they didn't deliberately lie, or screw investors just to pad their own wallets, or break laws that would potentially jeopardize the future of the company, I have absolutely no reason to think they owe me an apology. (Similarly, I don't expect them to send me a "you're welcome" card in every time they do something that makes their stock price go up more than expected)

6. garp macrumors member

I have made more money from Apple Stock than I have spent with them over the years, so I know where my money will be.

7. random person macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately that is not the full quote. Engadget had the quote the way you have it, but Ars Technica had this: Jobs said that he wants investors who are in apple for the long term, so if someone buys stock now and it goes down $5 he doesn't owe them an apology.

That seems like a very reasonable attitude to me.

8. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

This statement all depends on your individual investment strategy. Since President Clinton raped day trading by stacking on huge tax penalties I would say you're mostly right. There are some investors that buy and sell a stock quickly instead of holding onto it forever even if they believe in the company however.

9. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Actually, I think this one is more telling.

10. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

11. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

I would have liked a little less of Steve's attitude at this press conference. He really didn't try that hard to make us feel better emotionally about the issue.

But the truth is that anyone who has bought and held Apple stock for any significant length of time has made a ******** of money. I know I have. Apple stock almost single-handedly recovered all my IRA losses from the recession. I **** you not.

So I really have little to complain about, and they know quite well they won't lose too many investors over this.

And the free case solution is reasonable.

Oddly, since the 4.01 update, I can't get my phone to go to NO SERVICE, or drop Speedtest results, in a place where I could CONSISTENTLY do this before. I almost think they did sneak in a real fix beyond just the bars, but it's not 100% reliable so they don't want to admit it.

12. sandyjmacdonald macrumors 6502

It's not harsh. He's spot on. The vast majority of investors don't care at all about the companies they invest in. They invest to make money. That's all.

So why should Apple care about them?

13. insidmal macrumors 6502

insidmal

Yeah I don't get the big hoopla.. this statement is 100% accurate..

14. synagence macrumors 6502a

I don't the stock holders have done bad since AAPL was at $78 a share a mere 18 months ago and has risen to record highs of $270

The don't owe the stockmarket an apology

15. a3silver macrumors member

No - SJ's correct on this one, anyone who's invested in Apple for the last few years and held the stock for any reasonable period did quite well.

16. xenuprime macrumors 6502

I thought this was a stupid question. If Jobs thought the investors deserved an appology, he would have given them one. Apple works for investors not daytraders.

17. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

18. oakland6980 macrumors member

oakland6980

-Steve Jobs

19. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

Down $5, "no apology.." Up $5, no "you're welcome." Jesus people.. :rolleyes:

20. alee macrumors 6502

Anandtech reports 4.0.1/4.1 expands the dynamic range, so the phone holds on more tightly to the last bar for as long as possible before going to no signal.

[​IMG]

Per the graph, 4.0.1/4.1 holds 1 bar down to -121dB vs. -113dB on 4.0.

21. random person macrumors 6502a

I bought Apple stock right after the very first iPod at $50.

I have no.complaints.whatsoever.

22. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Their attitude is quite simple. As Steve pointed out at the D8 conference, they're the largest "startup" company in the world. They keep that mentality and a focus for making the best products they can. If you want to see someone with the mentality of profit over customer satisfaction, and focus for their bottom line and their shareholders first, you should really look at AT&T instead.