This really P*sses me off!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by philip in al, Dec 4, 2010.

1. philip in al, Dec 4, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2010

philip in al macrumors regular

So I have my iphone set up perfectly for months; springboard layout 4x4 with 5 icons in the dock. Multiple folders in folders over 200 apps.

I download SBSrotator and the next thing you know, I only have 4 icons in the dock. Since I searched all my program options extensively and couldn't figure out what program gave me ability to control the number of icons on the screen and in the doc, I download and install Iconclasm. Fresh after the respring, what do I have... you guessed it, about half of my apps no longer in folders! A damn mess!

Any idea how to get back. I removed Iconclasm, too late, damage done.

Any idea what app I may have used when I originally changed the layout of my icons?

I just figured out that for some reason it "spread back out" the apps that were in folders within folders.

Thanks

2. lapocompris macrumors regular

3. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

Fiveicondock will take care of the dock but you probably had infinifolders or folder enhancer for the folders in folders. Also to do the 4x4 layout the was probably done by iconoclasm.

One recommendation, get pkgbackup, it will remember what you had installed.

4. philip in al thread starter macrumors regular

I think it was Fiveicondock.

I have pkgbackup (and after you post) just realized that I actually see what was/is installed; thanks.

What apps should I look for that may have caused all of my sub-folders to explode?

Is there any hope to recovering all the folders in folders (my springboard) or am i screwed?

5. philip in al thread starter macrumors regular

I'm a little confused about pkg backup:
    1) when you view the apps installed (from your last backup), why are some in blue?
    2) as you can see, my last backup was 3 weeks ago. If i restore, will it wipe out the apps i've installed (but haven't backed up) since my last backup?
    3) Is there any way to use this to restore my folders in folders?
    [​IMG]

Thanks

6. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

1) The blue ones are the ones that are being backed up/are going to be restored, depending on which you're looking at.
    2) I don't believe so.
    3) I don't think so, since pkgbackup doesn't backup your icon layout.

As far as I'm concerned, Iconoclasm is evil. It reset my icon layout on me multiple times.

7. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I would agree with this statement 100%. I installed Iconoclasm a while back (I believe I was still on 3.1.3) and after 1 day it completely crashed my phone. I had to do a restore (and IIRC, this was why I upgraded my 3GS to iOS4). I'll never install that crap again.

And OP, if you want PkgBackup to restore your layout, you have to have SBOrganizer installed. If you go in to the settings of PkgBackup and try to select "restore layout", it'll tell you if you're missing it or not.

8. allisfair macrumors member

iconoclasm did it to me too when i was trying a win7 phone theme. removed it and had to setup my folders again.

i now know never to install any theme or app that requires iconoclasm.

9. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

Another one to stay away from, if you care for your device/sanity is @limneos (Elias Limneos) with SBRotator/LSRotator/ScrollingBoard. I can't stress this enough, the guy applies Rapid Coding to anything he spews out. :mad:

10. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Once again, I completely agree. I installed SBRotator a while back and nearly had to restore my phone because of it. Worked fine for a day or two and then just went crazy.

Thanks for the heads-up.

11. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

As far as I know, there's no way to "restore" your folder layout for infinifolders. The same thing happened to me a few times. It also happens if you have a folder in the "fifth position" (far right) on the dock. The problem is Apple doesn't officially support these kinds of things, so there's no memory of those app positions when something goes wrong.

The short answer is, I stopped doing crazy things with folders/icons for this very reason. To me, it wasn't worth it to keep restoring everything manually. I would say "wait for an official implementation from Apple" but that probably won't happen anytime soon. A better idea would be for some enterprising jailbreak developer to make an app like pkgbackup that saves icon positions like this...

12. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

I have bought SBOrganizer but havn't tried to restore folder in folders or anything of this size but this app might be worth a look?

13. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

I have to agree with those who mentioned @limneos apps and how buggy they can be. I stopped buying/using his apps because he releases them too early and is constantly in bug-fix mode. There are so many other devs that seem to be doing better QA before release. That's too bad because he releases some really cool tweaks!