This SATA-II card too cheap to be true? (Updated with installation "fun")

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Loa, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

I'm not sure if we can post link to ebay items on this board, but I'll wait until I'm given the green light.

I found a PCI-E card with 2 eSATA ports + 2 internal SATA-II, a sata power cable and 2 sata cable for less that 15US$ shipped.

It's sold from Hong-Kong and I can't get a brand name on their eBay page.

Thanks

Loa

2. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Have you checked the seller's feedback at all? There's a good first indication.

Second of all, I would contact the seller about the card in question and who the manufacturor is.

3. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

4. Loa thread starter macrumors 65816

Loa

71000+ transactions, 99.6%, so it should be good.

Brand name: Card Link, Hong Kong company.

No idea on Mac compatibility, but if I recall correctly and especially since our "switch" to Intel, most things are compatible now...

Loa

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

Here's the manufacturer's page.

Given it uses the Silicon Image 3132 chip, finding drivers should be possible, if the need arises. :)

6. rtrt, Jun 24, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  7. Loa thread starter macrumors 65816

Loa

"If" the need arises? In the sense that I may not even need one?

I've been looking all over the place for a mac-compatible PCI card that has both eSATA and internal SATA connection.

The results: 0 cards found.

Loa

8. rtrt, Jun 24, 2009
  9. Loa thread starter macrumors 65816

Loa

Ya, it was the card I had found on Ebay. But 1 / 1 would suit me fine. Trouble is I'd like to have it fully Mac compatible as it's going to be used for one of my RAID0 boot volume...

Good to know yours is still stable, but I don't know if I could deal with the possibility that each update could break my boot volume...

Hmm, on the other hand, I could put my back-up drive on that card... Much less worries...

Loa

10. teeck2000 macrumors regular

Yeah it should work fine since it's the Silicon Image. I actually bought one of these as well, and waiting for it to arrive. Any PCI-E x1 lane card only supports 2 channels of SATA. So you need to go to x4 for more simultaneous channels. These cards aren't very fast though, each port only supports about 110 MB/sec MAX, but should be fine since most SINGLE disks (except SSD) don't go faster than that.

11. rtrt, Jun 24, 2009
  12. nanofrog macrumors G4

No, in the sense of needing drivers. :eek: The card you're looking at doesn't list the ability to boot, and was uncertain if the drivers present in OS X would work or not. I've had the least time using recent Macs, and most of it's spent on RAID.

This is a really basic card, so if you need boot support, Port Multiplier support, or more ports (usable), then you'd need to look else where.

It might be helpful, if you posted the requirements (boot, port count, and port multiplier support). If needed. ;)

Any cards found, might help someone else. :) It's a forum afterall... ;) :D :p

Good to know they work. :) I'd expect those off Syba's site would as well. :D

BTW, can you offer any surprise features that aren't mentioned on the manufacturer's site, such as boot or PM support? Might be a really nice surprise. :D

13. teeck2000 macrumors regular

14. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

I use one with two external ports, one internal:

http://www.nitroav.com/product/472/

Works great. Might not have all you're looking for, though.

15. Loa thread starter macrumors 65816

Loa

Thanks for the find. But at 60$ + shipping, I think I'll take a chance with the cheap card Nano linked. Found it at 15$ shipped on eBay.

--

So I'm going to order it and download both drivers (SI and Sonnet) and see if it works for my internal back-up drive!

One connectivity question: The card comes with the SATA cable (red with black plugs) and with one short SATA power cable (molex on one side, black SATA plugs on the other). Will I need a splitter, and if so, which one? (I'm on a 2009 MP)

EDIT: Nanofrog, I found your post (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=7683651&postcount=10) in the thread about adding 2 SSDs to the 2nd optical bay.

Loa

16. nanofrog macrumors G4

17. Loa thread starter macrumors 65816

Loa

Yep. Hard to believe they made enough room for 2 HD and didn't think about a proper way to mount + connect them...

But I'm used to modding and soldering: high level RC cars & trucks! :)

I'm not ready to set my RAID right now (need cash), and so I won't be able to report on my success/failure with this card soon, but as soon as I do it, I'll let you guys know.

Loa

18. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Well, they made room for two optical drives. It just so happens that it's also enough space for HDDs.

19. Loa thread starter macrumors 65816

Loa

Not quite: they made room for 2 optical bays or 4 HDDs. Someone at Apple must have noticed that. Both optical bays can each physically hold TWO HDDs. My guess is that more ppl will need more than 4 drives, than ppl that need 2 optical drives.

Why not, at the very least, have 2 open SATA ports?

Loa

20. nanofrog macrumors G4

Apple was only interested in supplying the necessary cabling for 2x optical drives, as they don't offer HDD installs in those locations.

They could care less about the rest of the world (PC's), and leave mods up to the users and/or 3rd party manufacturers to offer solutions. ;)

21. Loa thread starter macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

Got the card, installed it and ran into a problem: I can't make the SATA cable run from the card to the second optical bay. There is no hole to pass it through the "top" part of the MP...

Did I miss something?

Loa

P.S. And I don't even have an eSATA drive to test the card+drivers with!

22. nanofrog macrumors G4

I'd think if you remove the 3rd & 4th HDD's and the optical bay unit, you'd be able to route the cable through (just foward of the PSU, so you don't end up having to pull it as well). Run it behind the HDD cabling and up through the PSU cabling to get into the optical mount area from the back side of the case. Placing the card in slot 4 might make it a bit cleaner as well.

I hope this makes sense. :)

A lot of installation effort it seems, but this is the cleanest and most doable means I can think of. :eek: :rolleyes: :D

rtrt might chime in here. ;)

23. Loa thread starter macrumors 65816

Loa

I'll look at that possibility tonight. But I'll have to order/buy another, much longer SATA cable. The 12in cable will be way short for this "detour". :)

Loa

24. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

I ran SATA cables up to the optical bay, are you talking about removing harddrive 1 and 2, and in the front back corner there is a hole where the rest of the cables go up and you can use that.

Im not sure what is behind the 3rd and 4th bay though..

Andrew

25. nanofrog macrumors G4

I believe we're thinking of the same thing. :) Following the cable bundle just in front of the PSU, when the Optical Mount is removed. (I was thinking it was at the 2 & 3 area, but pulling 3 & 4 would give the needed space to get the cable a bit more hidden, and still access the hole).

It's been over a year since I got into an '08 MP, so the details are getting a tad fuzzy. :eek: