Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I still love mine, though. Granted, I had to hack it to get it to do what I needed it to do, but it's used daily by either myself or my roommates! :)

ClassicBean

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2004
Torontoland
Imagine how quiet it is at the :apple:tv office/closet at Cupertino :(

Seriously. They probably moved the one Apple TV developer out of the office and asked him to work from home. He spends his days surfing MacRumors, watching TV (not :apple:TV for the record), eating, pleasuring himself and tweaking his homemade xBox Media Center.

OldSkoolNJ

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
Thats because most of us are out in front of the TV watching our Apple TVs instead of being glued tot he computer screen (macrumors) 24/7. I know I am spending alot of time in front of both of ours now.

Why do we think developement has stopped. The AppleTv was one of the last things to see an update. That was about 2 months ago now. It does all I want it to do. NOt saying it cant do more and would like to see what else there is but I am really ecstatic about using mine.

Kevin :apple:

KershMan

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2003
VA, USA
We use ours 4 or 5 times a week to watch video podcasts, see what is new on Youtube, and listen to music. We always break it out when family/friends come over to show pictures and home movies. We've never really done that with one of our computers since it was such a pain to hook it up. I actually do movies the first day we take them now to get them on the box so we can watch them on the big screen. We are probably going to replace our DV camera with an HD one by Christmas.

ClassicBean

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2004
Torontoland
I agree that it already does everything I want it to do.

I'd just like to see more people jumping on the :apple:TV bandwagon and watch this section come alive.

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
It does what it does, and until theres an update, there isn't a whole lot to talk about.

My kids love YouTube, we've beaten the Movie Rip->Convert to death. It plays music, overall I'm happy with it.

I haven't been following the hacking sessions, are they still active?

Maui

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2007
In one sense the lack of activity in this forum is a good thing -- proof of how easy ATV is to use. But let's hope the ATV Dept. at Apple is hard at work.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I would think the xbox 360 is doing a better business for what it can do.

badtzmaru

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
as long as the itunes store keeps selling videos i think ATV will remain a viable product. but whether or not "new" features will be developed, it's hard to say. the one thing I would like to see is the ability to plug an ipod into the USB port and use it as another library.

ricksbrain

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2005
Miami, FL
That Steve said TV is a hobby for Apple suggests it's not exactly a dead product, but it's certainly not an iPhone. Hobbies get interest, they're tinkered with, they're appreciated-- and unless something better comes along-- long-lived.

Or at least, this is what I say to myself, curled up, rocking back and forth alone in the corner... :(

Maui

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2007
Apple should at least stick a DVD drive into it. That way, it wouldn't be so much of an "extra" purchase -- DVD player + Tivo + ATV, for example.

Hmm..speaking of Tivo, anyone purchased one of the new $300 HD Tivo boxes?

Mac In School

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
Hmm..speaking of Tivo, anyone purchased one of the new $300 HD Tivo boxes?

Holy cow! No, I hadn't heard. Great news. I just switched to Comcast because of the deal they signed with TiVo.

That's sooooooo much cheaper than the Series 3.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I would think the xbox 360 is doing a better business for what it can do.

It's doing better because it plays high def games and movies.

I tried to tie my XB360 to my PC and after 3 evenings of doing everything the MS support site said to, it still wouldn't work.

Needless to say, my :apple:TV took about 4 minutes to get it totally working...

I wish MS would give me back my time wasted. :(

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
We've never really done that with one of our computers since it was such a pain to hook it up.

I have no issues with my awesome mythbox. Other than not playing drm'd files (which is the tiny, tiny miniscule minority), it does more than the apple tv for not much more in price.

Sean7512

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2005
There isn't much activity because there aren't many problems, and it works beautifully! I actually am not sure how I lived without it, as my entire DVD collection now resides on a 500gb external harddive and is accessed with that simple remote. I love it!!

As for it tanking? I don't think so... I have 1, my one sister has 2, my other sister has 1, and my best friend has 1. These are from all first time apple customers, and since they've bought iPods and even 2 iMacs! Almost anyone that sees it in action claims they want one badly! I think it is selling better than we think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.