This site is bad

dukebound85

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
in the sense that it continually makes me feel as if my existing setup is outdated lol

I then keep realizing that my 3 year old mb still performs VERY well for what i use it for. I need to get this upgrade envy out of my head until things like browing the internet becomes unbearably slow lol

maybe i need to stop always knowing what the projected updates are rumored to be and just think its 2006 and what i have is the best i can get

who else feels the same lol

jonbravo77

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
in the sense that it continually makes me feel as if my existing setup is outdated lol

I then keep realizing that my 3 year old mb still performs VERY well for what i use it for. I need to get this upgrade envy out of my head until things like browing the internet becomes unbearably slow lol

maybe i need to stop always knowing what the projected updates are rumored to be and just think its 2006 and what i have is the best i can get

who else feels the same lol
I'm with ya. Still have my 2006 MBP. Still running strong, going to upgrade to a 500g HD soon.. But I too look at the new stuff and get a bit envious. But then I see where they put the USB ports and how close together they are and say "I'll stick with mine for now" :)

TheShinyMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2009
Tell me about it, I was banging my head against the wall when I bought my macbook pro two weeks before the unibodies came out......

electroshock

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
Hey, I just say (for my older non-unibody MBP): "Man, am I glad mine still has the ExpressCard/34 slot, that wonderful matte high res display, and it doesn't suck so much to take it apart." :D

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
In the same vein, a few people posting problems with 3.1/SL will make multitudes of people hold off until 4.0/10.7 before they even consider installing.

Scippy

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2009
Somewhere
I guess you could say this site is good for apple; as it makes people update their computers more often. :)

shivermetimbers

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2008
McChord, Wash
I have a early intel 17" iMac "whitey." Its still running Tiger and works great. Hell, its even runs better and faster than the NEW PC's I use at work. Thats saying a lot. I just bought a new 24" iMac...delivers monday and my uMBP is less than 6 months old. I think I will be good for quite some time. If what you have works for you and your happy with it...thats all that matters right. I prolly wont ever have a super high end Mac Pro. But I like what I have....

Burnsey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Canada
My 3 year old MBP is still chugging along nicely, no need to upgrade for a while. I just hope Apple did not build planned obsolescence into their computers...

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
hell i'm still running a G5 iMac as my main home computer, although granted i feel as though its time to upgrade to a new iMac as soon as i can afford it, but i'm also in no big rush. it still works just fine for now.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Up until about a month and a half ago, my wife was still using my original 17" powerbook I bought in March of 2003...that's 6.5 years! We had to replace it only because the hard drive crapped out...but it still starts up sometimes!

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
About a year ago I lost all upgrade envy for some reason. It's as though I suddenly stopped caring whether I had the most recent hardware or if it was outdated. I finally realized that if the hardware does what I need it to, then I don't need to upgrade it. I still dunno why this happened (I really haven't felt like myself for a while now, which may or may not be related) but I think it's for the better. My Rev D non-unibody MacBook Pro still works perfectly and handles photo editing like a champ :)

iPhone 62S

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2009
I got a 2008 MB which... Still runs quite well, actually, since I maxed the RAM :D

I also have a Power Macintosh 7100/80 though, and man that's slow! :p

I'm getting a iMac G4 though, and if that has Leopard on it it'll run slow (I know from experience) so I might downgrade to Tiger since I hear it runs decently on it.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
You think you have problems. My most up to date computer is a 5 year old PowerBook!
:eek::(

Ttownbeast

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
I got a 2008 MB which... Still runs quite well, actually, since I maxed the RAM :D

I also have a Power Macintosh 7100/80 though, and man that's slow! :p

I'm getting a iMac G4 though, and if that has Leopard on it it'll run slow (I know from experience) so I might downgrade to Tiger since I hear it runs decently on it.
Not having problems like that with mine using Leopard of course the upgrades helped.

iPhone 62S

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2009
Not having problems like that with mine using Leopard of course the upgrades helped.
Guess it depends on the spec, but my friend's one runs slow on Leopard and I'm trying to get a low spec one (yep I'm such a cheapskate I'll buy a used Mac from years ago and still get the low spec one) :p

twistedlegato

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
I'm right there with you man. I have a Rev. A 2006 Black Macbook, but it's still going strong! I don't plan to replace it until i graduate high school :)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I have a 2006 iMac which I'm more than happy with, the next step is a homebuilt gaming PC but I'm not feeling any urge to get that just yet. Have an almost identical spec unibody Macbook too. I see no need to upgrade, nor do I want to, well mostly because I need to use line in/out simultaneously! I only updated from my 2004 Powerbook because I needed Bootcamp, a new battery and brighter display.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
hell i'm still running a G5 iMac as my main home computer, although granted i feel as though its time to upgrade to a new iMac as soon as i can afford it, but i'm also in no big rush. it still works just fine for now.

I'm still running my rev. A iMac G5 but seem to use my MacBook way more often these days. Perhaps it's time to sell it.

Ttownbeast

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
Guess it depends on the spec, but my friend's one runs slow on Leopard and I'm trying to get a low spec one (yep I'm such a cheapskate I'll buy a used Mac from years ago and still get the low spec one) :p
It's possible to build it for speed I know I'm a cheapskate too. I bought this one for 60 bucks at a PC warehouse (basically a geeks junk yard) and invested approximately 800 in parts over the course of owning it for a little over 3 years I think, the most expensive thing was the CPU that ran me 250 and it still wasn't their fastest for about 400 I could have gotten a dual processor each running at about 2 gigs, but it does the job for its age this was originally a 500 MHZ model with a 6 gig drive and 256 total ram, and it still had a sticker on it showing what school district it was from LOL

iPhone 62S

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2009
It's possible to build it for speed I know I'm a cheapskate too. I bought this one for 60 bucks at a PC warehouse (basically a geeks junk yard) and invested approximately 800 in parts over the course of owning it for a little over 3 years I think, the most expensive thing was the CPU that ran me 250 and it still wasn't their fastest for about 400 I could have gotten a dual processor each running at about 2 gigs, but it does the job for its age this was originally a 500 MHZ model with a 6 gig drive and 256 total ram, and it still had a sticker on it showing what school district it was from LOL
Cool, I might up the RAM (the top is 2GB, right?) and the HD (perhaps slap a SSD in there?) but I have neither the money or skill to replace the CPU or anything.

Ttownbeast

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
Cool, I might up the RAM (the top is 2GB, right?) and the HD (perhaps slap a SSD in there?) but I have neither the money or skill to replace the CPU or anything.
yep 2 gigs is the max for ram besides money replacing the CPU isn't that hard I used the instruction booklet and the firmware disc that came with mine removed 3 screws plugged it in flipped a few tiny switches to adjust the clock speed (rather than spend the 50 bucks an hour to have a tech do it--see I'm cheap LOL)I've given the SSD idea a thought myself but not to use as a hard drive (the ram drive specifically I speak of which is too volatile for storage keeping it powered is necessary even when the computer is turned off) but for more ram if a way can be found to use it as virtual memory at the very least or actual expansion of the physical ram would be ideal using such a device.

LumbermanSVO

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Denton, TX
I'm pretty immune to the upgrade bug.

My MB is a year old(previous one died)
My bike is 4 or 5 years old.
My car I've had for 8 years and is 24 years old(only 5 years younger than me!), I haven't upgraded anything on it in over 5 years.
My home stereo is 9 or 10 years old and only a 2 channel.

For the longest time I was just too broke to upgrade anything, now I just don't care to.