This Software cannot be installed on this machine

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Kuffdam, May 14, 2008.

1. Kuffdam macrumors newbie

Hey guys

I'm after some help with my Macbook Pro.. I have several mac laptops at home from powerbook, macbook pro and a macbook...

I wanted to do a reinstall of the macbook pro software so i dug out the discs and started the process. the discs say the version of os x is 10.4.5 and during the install of cd1 i got an error but i was able to click on continue and the install seemed to be going ok. At cd 2 the install started but suddenly came to end and said that there was a problem and to start the install again. the cds appear to have become damaged in storage so there are scratches on them...

So from there i have tried to find replacement cds to complete the install...
    i recently managed to get the install cds for a macbook pro with version 10.4.9 on them. i have put the disc 1 in and started the install but i get a message saying, these are genuine install cd's that i bought from ebay.

"this software cannot be used on this machine"

Not matter what i try i am stuck half way through an old install and unable to move on.. can anyone help me with this... i have install cd's for my macbook and my old powerbook but nothing seems to work.

can any help me get by this?

Please note I'm not trying to do anything illegal with dodgy software, this has been my own fault for not look after the install cd's. If its possible to install the program again and i have to buy tiger etc then I'm happy to do that. I just don't understand the current problem so looking for help.

thanks in advance

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Unfortunately, the CDs you have are machine-specific, and won't work on the one you're trying to install on. As for the other problem - if the machine came with 10.4.5, then look for a Tiger retail disc that has 10.4.6 or later on it. If you can't find that you're stuck with Leopard, I'm afraid.

3. Kuffdam thread starter macrumors newbie

hi there

thanks for the swift reply

ok my only concern was that as i am half way through the install, even buying a full new package it wouldn't work.

so if i pick up leopard, i can restart the install and it will be ok?

if thats the case i'm happy to do that

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Yes, that will work.

5. bentoms macrumors regular

Hmmm.. Why do you need the second install disc?

Generally they only hold stuff like developers tools etc.. that aren't needed to install & runn the OS.

I suggest you do a custom install & don't install the language fonts, printer drivers & applications etc... this should bring the install down to something like 3GB & will mean that only Disc 1 will be needed.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

As it's been said before, the install disks are machine specific. You might want to match or google the disk numbers on top of the disks.

7. Kuffdam thread starter macrumors newbie

That was a superb suggestion and has got me back up and running

I've took out all the extra programs and managed to install from disc 1
    thanks alot...