This SSD in my 2011 27" iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by clyde2801, Jun 11, 2011.

1. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Been reading up on the SSD goodness (or buzz and hype, depending on your viewpoint) in the new iMacs. Found a local authorized apple repair shop who can do the install in one day.

Found a crucial c300 256 gb ssd on my local CL for $300. 6gb speed, latest firmware, previously used on a MBP. Did some research that showed some initial teething problems with the drive until the latest firmware update. Also looks like a linux live cd can allow for trim correction if the drive gets funky from repeated use. Doesn't look like a very big outcry from the mac users of the drive...most of the posts from actual users seem to have been positive.

Think this will work, or should I wait for a vertex3?

Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to respond.

2. MrNomNoms macrumors 65816

MrNomNoms

It depends on whether you consider cutting corners now is worth the heart ache within a few months/years. If it were me purchasing an SSD (which I wouldn't do anyway), I would go to an Apple authorised reseller and get something supported by Apple rather than risking to find in a few months there are problems.

3. clyde2801 thread starter macrumors 601

clyde2801

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to check in with the authorized repair shop about the drive (want to pin him down on details) before I buy it.

4. clyde2801 thread starter macrumors 601

clyde2801

Honestly, no one on the board has any experience with this drive?