Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
Anyone else notice this?

I went into the Apple store yesterday all ready to buy a 13" 256GB/4GB MBA and I started playing with the demo units. The screen scrolling is *really* choppy in Safari and iTunes. I downloaded and installed Chrome and still it was really choppy scrolling. I tried this on a couple different demo units.

This is polar opposite of my MBP where the scrolling is very smooth and fluid.

Could this be just a problem with Lion and hopefully it will get fixed with the next Lion update? Or is this an actual hardware problem?

I'm really disappointed...I really was looking forward to one of these, but I just can't live with that issue. :(

Odd. I had both the 13 inch and 11 inch MBA models and both were smooth.

iExpensive

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2010
Las Vegas
I don't know if people actually know what "smooth" is.
Sure my scrolling is tolerable, but it is in no way comparable to Snow Leopard's scrolling. It seems that the content heavy sites give it a harder time. I can however scroll google searches with ease.

Sensamic

macrumors 68030
Mar 26, 2010
I had this issue on Lion on my iMac.

Solution is to go to the accessibility options in preference pane and then mouse options and then mouse options and then choose maximum speed for scrolling.

Done.

Its not a bug, its just established that way from factory.

Now you can buy you macbook air.

sloan47

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2011
I don't know if people actually know what "smooth" is.
Sure my scrolling is tolerable, but it is in no way comparable to Snow Leopard's scrolling. It seems that the content heavy sites give it a harder time. I can however scroll google searches with ease.

I program UI's for my job so I actively monitor performance issues so I do know what "smooth" is. ;) And my 13" ultimate is very smooth. "Buttery smooth" would be a good way to describe it.

Romf

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2011
Paris, France
I don't have this problem (mba 2010, firefox)

joec1101, I remember before buying a MBA I went to the apple store to test it.
I've been impressed by the boot time on some youtube videos and wanted to see that by my own, so I tried rebooting an apple store MBA and... It was REALLY slow, like +1minute for boot... Was on every test device, the apple store guy didn't understand either... Now I have a MBA and it boots in a few seconds.
So maybe some of the stuff they put in there slow down the demo devices, I don't really know!

Billy Mac

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2011
Has anyone consider mouse vs. touchpad scrolling? Touchpad is very smooth for me. The mouse? Fairly choppy. But they are also different animals, so to speak.

wickoo

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2011
It is smooth and it should be smooth. If it's not it has to be a CPU usage problem, check Activity Monitor on the machine for details. And trust me, your brand new MacBook Air would be butter smooth.

katta

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2007
I don't think scrolling is the issue. I've actually seen the chopiness on the new MBA when using the three-finger swipe to switch screens using Spaces. The MBP is pretty smooth though. Maybe 10.7.1 fixed this.

Nioxic

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2011
Denmark
my mba runs it smoothly, no problem what-so-ever.

in fact ive never seen any stuttering of any kind except in starcraft 2 before i lowered the settings

Sensamic

macrumors 68030
Mar 26, 2010
Like I previously said, the solution is on the preference pane. The scrolling speed is set to mid speed by default on Lion. Go there and change it to full speed and scrolling will be smooth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.