This sucks... Crashed Mac...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Zianac, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Zianac macrumors member

So I've never really had and problems with my macbook pro until today. She's 2 1/2 years old and crashed on me this morning... My screen froze completely and I was unable to do anything. I did a hard reset. At first the screen looked fine, but it hung for about 20 minutes, so I did another hard reset. After that the screen looked all funky. Blue spots all over, but you can still see the computer trying to boot up. After about a minute of that it'll tell me I need to hold the power button to restart the computer.

It tells me that every time I attempt to start the computer

I tried resetting the PRAM

I tried running FSCK and it said that everything was good

I tried booting up windows from bootcamp.

I can access target disk mode and use all the boot commands (though it's no use since I'm on vacation)

Pretty much, I was hoping someone could give me suggestions on how to get my computer back up and running... I currently don't have my snow leopard disk, but I'll have it on Sunday when I return to school. All I have right now is my sister's Leopard disk (if that is any help).

If there is more I can do to help anyone help me, lemme know!

Thanks guys!

(I'm just assuming this is an OSX problem... Maybe this thread should be moved to the Macbook forum?)

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

May be a waste of time but as you say Target Disk mode works then I would grab a copy of all the important files on you mac and copy them onto your sister mac (or an external plugged into her mac) so at least you have a backup of the files.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

If your sister's Mac is the same model as yours, you can boot up with her Install disc (if that's what it is, won't work with the retail) and try running the hardware test.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You could try repairing your permissions with Disk Utility and verifying the HD by booting from your sister's Leopard disk. If that doesn't help, wait till Sunday and reinstall Snow Leopard

5. Zianac thread starter macrumors member

I left my firewire cable at my apartment at school, but I have an iMac there, so I plan on moving the files as soon as I get back. Kinda sucks being in a dinky town in Iowa, no one for miles sells one... As far as my sister's mac, she's running a normal Macbook. So it isn't the same setup... I'm only assuming that target disk mode works, It's giving me the same screen with the battery icon at the bottom. It's a 2 hour drive to the nearest Apple store... but it's on the way to my school... so I might have to stop there on my way up

6. Zianac thread starter macrumors member

My computer's condition seems to have improved a bit...
    It no longer crashes at the beginning. Instead, it hangs on the blue screen right before the login screen.
    I've included a video incase it helps...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCoqZWsYstk

7. Kat King123 macrumors regular

Kat King123

8. Zianac thread starter macrumors member

Tried holding down shift to do a safe boot and it does the same thing. It just seems to try to boot from the blue screen and then recycles... I just posted a message on Facebook and hope that I at least have a friend in town with a Snow Leopard disk... I really don't want to go till Sunday without my own computer...

Thanks everyone for your help :)

9. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

your computer is having a kernel panic when you say it tells you that you need to restart by holding the power button. go into your bootcamp partition, and try to save all of your important files onto your bootcamp partition. when you get back to school pm me.

10. Zianac thread starter macrumors member

I've obtained the snow leopard installation files, and followed directions to enable it to run off of my flashdrive.
    Either way, I wasn't able to access the installation files anyway because my computer froze before I even got there.
    However, my computer went back to doing what it was doing before with the screen. I've enclosed a picture of that too.

If I remember correctly, my computer falls into the category with the failing NVIDIA cards in this article: http://www.macrumors.com/2009/06/01/apple-extends-nvidia-macbook-pro-warranty-to-3-years/

and here:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377

As far as the symptoms go, would that also make it so that OS X wouldn't boot up as well? I'm gonna go ahead and call apple on this one... Hopefully they'll fix it for free...

Attached Files:

11. dwykstra macrumors member

man this sucks. I'm having similar issues that started tonight as well. No problems before, and now i'm getting some flickering of the display, some crazy designs on the screen similar to your last pic, and then it will lock up and crash. I've had to reset the computer. Have a MB Pro bought in 2007, so also about 2 1/2 years old.

12. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Maybe it's time to burn your wallet in the matter of seconds and take it to your nearest Apple Store for them to have a look?

13. Zianac thread starter macrumors member

Yeah... I've decided to take it in to the Apple store to have them take a look at it... I'll post my results tomorrow after they do!

14. Zianac thread starter macrumors member

Just got done with my appointment at the Apple Store. Turns out the problem was my Graphics card and not OS X after all! Since it's within the 3 years, they're going to replace it for free!

15. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

gratz! maybe its time to upgrade considering that your warranty will be up soon.

16. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Glad you found the problem!

I'm thinking the same thing about my Macbook... I think there's a new MBP in my future right around the time my Applecare runs out...