This Summer's Upcoming iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Doju, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Doju macrumors 68000

Just *what* will this brilliant device hold?

Personally, I think Apple will absolutely blow us away. We've asked for such simple features, that it seems every dumb-phone, your kitchen sink or your dog can perform at whim, but the iPhone lacks it. I imagine Apple will implement these with the new one, as it seems to be the only logical answer why they wouldn't. Such a simple to fix draw back is causing them a large loss in sales (though they still sell like crazy) they'll logically fix it soon.

Plus, with no 4G to bring to the new phone, they can't do any massive speed jump, really, so this is their only option.

Other than features that we deserve to have, I think we'll also see a slightly updated OS, in order to accommodate for the large onslaught of applications that we've found ourselves with. Whether it be how Android solves it, folders, or something else. I'd hope there will also be small OS tweaks to make it newer and funner.

Perhaps some new buttons either, and independent camera button on the side, and some quick-launch-application buttons (a la Blackberry?) as well as a camera megapixel update - almost inevitable - to I'd hope at least 3MP.

Maybe some other updates to the hardware, but I doubt much, bluetooth I think will only be the big thing, as Apple likes to keep it simple, but some additional low-profile buttons, and a different back wouldn't surprise me. (But boy would I be happy!)

This likely seems like *a lot* to take in, but Apple was missing massive features last year - 3G and GPS - that would have taken awhile to implement, so it was probably big enough to pass off as an update. But this time around, 4G certainly isn't big enough, nor is there really any other revolutionary features (small ones like copy paste, mms, etc.) so I think they'll do a massive amount of small tweaks, that will add up into some absolutely revolutionary - take two.

Other phones are starting to challenge the iPhone, the new upcoming one will knock them out before climbing into the ring. :p

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I think all we will see is different colors on the back of the iPhone. By next summer the iPhone will be the #1 selling smartphone in the world so they won't change much.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Agreed... my expectations for a refresh in the next 8-12 months are:

- thinner
    - lighter
    - different rear casing
    - more colors
    - longer battery life
    - minor screen improvements
    - new accessories

Per the usual iPod formula.

With respect to firmware...

- Continued (very) slow trickling of features in successive firmware updates.
    - Hopefully they won't stop offering updates to iPhone 1st Gen firmware too soon (I suspect they eventually will at some point at least +2 years after it went off the market, which would put it at the Summer of 2010).

4. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

I dont think they should update the hardware until the current version supports copy and paste.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

How does that make any sense? Do you really want the hardware engineering team to stop developing hardware and develop software (in which they have little training or expertise) instead? Launching new hardware is a hardware engineering / purchasing / manufacturing affair. None of them have anything to do with delivering you new features through a firmware update. Idling them all won't help you get your firmware any sooner.

6. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Possibly an OLED screen, which would do wonders for battery life, a RAM and storage increase.

7. svndmvn Guest

First of all I don't think we'll see a new one during the summer, September maybe, storage updates, not anymore buttons, you gotta be kidding me, have you seen the January 07 presentation? they were comparing their pretty much buttonless device to the others, not happening..especially cause they already have too many, i've had a sinking sleep button, malfunctioning home button, bad silent switch on this one,and the first generation happened to see the volume buttons crack.
    The profile will remain the same,I believe, it is still pretty thin compared to the others and a lot better looking than the first gen.
    the RAM is enough for now, all they can do is tweak the OS to actually use it correctly

8. jarofclay73 macrumors regular

jarofclay73

This is my prediction:

The 8GB version will be dropped.

The 16GB 3G will continue as the main consumer model and will probably see a price drop to $149-$199.

The new iPhone will probably be a 32GB model, although depending on the release date Apple could ramp that up to 40GB - 60GB.

I don't think adding megapixels to the camera will help unless you add autofocus and flash. So, my ideal camera would be 3.2MP, autofocus and flash. However, this will add to the bulk of the iPhone itself.

So, this new iPhone would probably be called something like "iPhone 3G Pro."

Hopefully by then, we'll have software updates that include push notifications, cut & paste, video recording and Adobe Flash. Also, from what I understand the 3G already has the hardware capabilities for stereo Bluetooth so this would also be a software upgrade.

According to Apple patents, we will also have voice recognition hardware which probably means built-in voice dialing.

A patent also shows Intelliscreen-like features on your sleep screen. Hopefully we'll get that as soon as push is finalized.

9. Doju thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes, I have seen the presentation. They were against buttons, yes, but more so in the body (where blackberries and the like have their keyboards) they said nothing against the sides, as they would simply add more capability. A dedicated camera button would be terrific, as would quick launch buttons (press one to quickly launch the camera in those quick priceless moments).

Plus, I've never had one problem with the buttons. Your problem.

I'm being optimistic; I imagine we'll see a massively changed model (but still familiar, if you know what I mean) and it will once again blow the market away.

Jarof is thinking the right way, but I imagine we'll see even more. Maybe even haptic touch recognition.

10. veeco3110 macrumors 6502

veeco3110

11. Ecthelion macrumors member

Ecthelion

I like the idea of having a dedicated photo button. Maybe not add any buttons but when you double tap the up volume or something the app launches and then once in the app the volume down button takes the photo. That would be pretty cool I think.

12. UMHurricanes34 macrumors 65816

UMHurricanes34

Good God no. Why? It's so unnecessary and I HATE haptic touch feedback. It's the most useless, annoying "feature" on any touchscreen phone I've ever had the displeasure of experiencing.

The iPhone isn't going to get a drastic overhaul for a long time. It's two years old.

Update the WiFi to n capable
    Maybe a higher res, (LED?) screen
    More storage

That's about all I expect in the near future

Ecthelion: The double tap wouldn't work, but I like the idea. People would be changing their volume and the camera would continue to launch, but nice idea nonetheless.

13. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

4G is being relesesed slowly

I could see:
    ~OLED
    ~4G
    ~8, 16, 32 GB
    ~Front side camera

What i really want to see is an "iPhone Pro" with
    ~Aluminum shell
    ~Slide out keyboard (Possibly a second smaller touch screen)
    ~Smaller top and bottom black bezel area to allow for a 3.8 or 4" screen

Oh and:

PowerBook G5

14. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Oh god no.

Please. Let us all lower our expectations. Expect something incremental, it is statements like these that result in 10000 threads of how the next iphone "sucks" because it does not have x and y.

:apple::apple::apple:

15. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

- thinner -> No.... Slightly should be fine though we want our phones to feel substantial in our hands while holding it to our ears!
    - lighter -> Maybe
    - different rear casing -> Definitley. But alas that might not happen with the current 10+ antennae
    - more colors -> Erm.... NO

Per the usual iPod formula. ->|

Its exactly that that most of us probably dont want while we may all not realize this fact!

16. Doju thread starter macrumors 68000

You don't like haptic feedback? Fascinating, they'd like have an option to turn it off in settings. :rolleyes: For those of us who do like it, it would be a welcomed OPTION.

And to the poster who said to have low expectations - are you kidding me? Brilliant, let's hope for no potential in the upcoming phone so that the whiners will shut up (I doubt that would even help). Give me a break.

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I didn't say I wanted it. I said it was my prediction.

18. Tenorsaw macrumors regular

You have some seriously bad luck. Be careful.

19. chris1016 macrumors member

The 3rd Gen iPod was the first major redesign. The iPhone 3G wasn't really a major difference, only a different back and more glass on the front. Here's what I'm expecting to see in the new iPhone:

-Memory: 16, 32 GB options
    -Camera: 3-5 megapixels, with autofocus... Doubt it, but would like flash. Video Recording with direct upload to YouTube would also be nice.
    -Speakers/Microphone: Improved for better sound
    -Nike+ Support: Same as the iPod touch app, now on your phone.
    -Compass: Same as on the T-Mobile G1. Allows you to see what direction something's in, could work for Street View as well as Navigational apps... could also be an API for developers.
    -Color: Black, White for all models, (RED) for 32GB only.
    -Processing: More RAM for apps! (I really, really want this most)
    -Price: As low as $99, but probably $149-$199 for the 16GB, add $100 for the 32GB version.

Note: This could possibly be the higher end iPhone. Apple could debut a cheaper iPhone without 3G, GPS, a lot of memory, better camera, etc. for a lower price (similar to the nano, but same physical dimensions).

20. svndmvn Guest

I'm on my sixth iPhone and the silent switch is bad, two of them were new and as you can see three of them had button problems as well as other issues, I don't think I'm the only one with bad luck regarding iphones and it's kinda because Apple chose Foxconn or whatever to build their phones and the possible refurbished ones I had weren't as good cause of Apple in the Netherlands
    Dunno, man, I don't see Apple becoming Nokia too soon, but they've gone a long way since first iPods, with a lot of product differenciation, I seriously doubt Apple wanting a cheaper quality iPhone, it's not like they wanted to deliver a Phone that's also an iPod, they were firstly a computer company, that's why the iPhone to my eyes is some netbook,ultraportable, ultra iPod that also makes calls

21. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think we're going to see ANY hardware updates for a couple of years at least. Apple would be wise not to make a new device now, especially with the success of the 3G. If you make a new phone, people will naturally be pissed (I know I would, I bought it less than 6 months ago) and they might just go buy something else next time around. Apple is smart enough to know when they're doing something right - and by the iPhone sales I'd say they're doing something right. The only thing that is going to change is firmware. They're going to keep adding features until they hit the hardware limitations wall, and when that time comes (probably in a couple of years) the new phone that is obviously in development right now (and will continue to be in development for the lifetime of the 3G) will be released.

22. svndmvn Guest

well, I couldn't agree more, updates happen to iPods because they're more of a consumer thing, I think most of the people that wanted an iPhone or something similar already had it, not many features are to be added and a LOT of software can be updated.

23. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

I would argue that the addition of GPS and 3G in the latest rev. are feature enhancements. By contrast, I expect the next iPhone to have performance enhancements. Specifically:

more RAM
    faster processor
    better graphics processing

I know this would create the situation where some apps would require the new phone. Do we really want a situation in which we must verify that every app we buy is compatible with our hardware? Isn't it better now, where every app works on any iPhone?

Well, it's inevitable. At some point the iPhone will be more powerful, and some apps will take advantage of—and require—that power. I predict this will happen sooner than later, and this is what the purchase of PA Semi was all about.

qft

24. randomusername macrumors 6502

My predictions on hardware...

-It will not be named the iPhone 4G (people here need to know what 4G is) but will just be the iPhone. They don't call the iPod Nano the iPod Nano 4.
    -Higher resolution screen
    -Slightly thinner
    -Removable battery
    -Multiple colors (Not part of my prediction, but wouldn't it be awesome if Apple sold different back covers so you could constantly change it?)
    -3.2 or 5 megapixel auto-focus camera. No flash or dedicated camera shutter button (it would probably be touch sensitive if they put one on there. It could be a shortcut button when camera isn't in use)
    -Stereo Bluetooth
    -Processor and RAM upgrades
    -16GB and 32GB models

My predictions of software...
    -Video recording
    -Flash for Safari (optional)
    -More native apps (if not all) in landscape
    -Copy/Paste
    -Delete single SMS messages
    -Mobile iWork (compatible with MS Office files)
    -Slightly different look in homescreen and menus (more glass like, maybe? customizable color themes?)
    -An iChat client for one way video chats (seeing as it doesn't have Video Share)
    -Tethering feature that lets you send texts and make calls as well with your number while at your computer when tethered.
    -Turn-by-Turn GPS
    -Streaming video if they put that on iTunes and AT&T allows them to have it.

25. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

It's just you. This is a whole new market for Apple and it doesn't make sense to compare the iPhone to the iPods. Apple has 80% of the market share for mp3 players (I haven't even seen a Zune out of the box). The market share for the iPhone is 1% of smartphones. The mobile phone market is much more competitive and fast paced, and Apple can't afford to wait 2 years for every new phone - especially since they only have one product line, RIM now has four: pearl, curve, bold, storm.

Next summer they will release the "iPhone Air" or "iPhone Video" and it will include:
    -LED screen
    -Improved camera with video
    -Extended bluetooth profiles
    -Extra side button for camera shutter/voice dial activation
    -Custom designed chipset with more RAM
    -Headphone jack compatible with the dual-driver headphones
    -The obvious like more internal memory, improved battery, etc.

I imagine the custom chipset won't significantly improve processing power (aside from having more RAM) but will serve to improve power consumption and reduce the weight.

I also predict that eventually Apple will have to make the "iPhone Executive" that has a removable battery, external LED indicators, and two more physical buttons adjacent to the home button for increased business functionality. I doubt it will be ready by next summer but I could easily imagine this in the first quarter of 2010.