This sums up the iphone 4 perfectly

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by InfinitiG, Jun 30, 2010.

1. InfinitiG macrumors 6502

"The main downside to the iPhone 4 is the obvious lapse in Apple's engineering judgment. The fact that Apple didn't have the foresight to coat the stainless steel antenna band with even a fraction of an ounce worth of non-conductive material either tells us that Apple doesn't care or that it simply doesn't test thoroughly enough. The latter is a message we've seen a few times before with OS X issues, the iPhone 4 simply reinforces it. At the bare minimum Apple should give away its bumper case with every iPhone 4 sold. The best scenario is for Apple to coat the antenna and replace all existing phones with a revised model.The ideal situation is very costly for Apple but it is the right thing to do. Plus it's not like Apple doesn't have the resources to take care of its customers."

2. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

You mean sheep. And make no mistake: Steve Jobs is not a good Sheppard, not in the slightest amount.

3. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

did you take into consideration that the coating might have had an adverse affect on overall signal quality, as well as possible issues with gripping the phone? or maybe there is coating but not enough of it?

4. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

In the grand scheme of things, we're always sheep and nothing more.

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Baaaaaa. Baaaaaaaa.

Seriously, Jobs flock is Apple, not customers. His duty is to the company and its shareholders. And of that I don't see how any rational, objective person could say he is not a good shepherd. He save it from certain slaughter over ten years ago and has been growing it ever since.

6. bobdigi macrumors regular

Luckily my phone is perfect so I dont have to post dumb thread after dumb thread all day.

7. drober30 macrumors 6502a

I thought the same thing until I used my iPhone and tried to carry on a conversation with my wife on her iPhone.

I'm not exaggerating that the call dropped eight times before we gave up.

I was so frustrated/mad, I drove an hour to get a bumper and sure enough that solved the problem.

8. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

hmmmm, you might be on to something there, it MUST be the same person posting these threads over and over again. I mean NO WAY would this many customers be this disatisfied over an apple product. :rolleyes:

9. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

What this is really is not Apple abusing their customer base, it is the customer base going overboard in their reaction. I know I am going to be labeled as a sheep, etc, but this has been demonstrated on other phones including the 3G and 3GS. The issue with the iPhone 4 is that there was emphasis on the new antenna design so focus was on it when the 4 came out. As Anandtech pointed out, while the external design does make the antenna more sensitive to fingers, the new antenna design does improve reception because even when it drops to one bar, the 4 still tended to hold on to the call better then the 3GS.

If you don't like the fact that the antenna is now on the outside of the phone and can't adjust to it( aka can't stop death gripping the thing or don't want to buy a case), then return the iPhone and either go back to your 3G, 3GS, etc or get another phone. All there is to it. As for me, I don't hold my iPhone 4 in the death grip so it doesn't affect me so I am happy with my iPhone 4.

10. richard371 macrumors 68000

They tested the hell out of this phone and thats why it is almost perfect. People carried it around everywhere to test the reception etc (WITH A CASE). This is why the phone is so perfect except for the one major or minor problem depending on how you look at it. The bumper works fine for me and I would use it regardless of the antenna just for the grip alone. I just want Apple to sort it out as I am so sick of people seeing my phone and asking about the problem. It generates more talk then the World Cup lol.

11. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

Sorry, but I've never had the displeasure of nor seen any evidence of anyone killing the 3G capability on an iPhone 3G or 3GS with a fingertip aka skin contact with the phone's physical construct.

Too many people aren't getting it: this is way more than just some signal loss because of holding the phone in the hand; that's Apple's disclaimer and shared by every cell phone maker out there and somewhat understandable. Holding any cell phone in your hand should cause a somewhat consistent level of signal attenuation on each and every cell phone you can hold in the hand. Doesn't matter what cell phone you test with, your hand remains the same and as such is an almost static variable in the equation - the cell phones are what's different.

I hold any cell phone in my left hand - and I've owned and used thousands of 'em over the years, of all shapes and sizes, and I may or may not (more often not) see some signal fluctuation or degradation, perhaps 1 bar out of 5 in truly extreme conditions.

But no phone I've ever owned or used has ever dropped from 5 bars to 1, sometimes 0 bars and then totally lost service completely to the point that the phone simply isn't a phone anymore, it's a pretty PDA, for the most part.

When a hand-held cellular phone doesn't work as a cellular phone in your hand, that's a pretty significant problem.

12. menomano macrumors member

but I see you don't mind posting dumb replies though. :rolleyes:

13. Vasilioskn macrumors regular

Vasilioskn

It really is unfortunate that so many people have problems with this phone... I hope Apple or ATT can find a solution...

I, on the other hand, have had no problems at all with the reception. I've had no dropped calls, and my 3G is fast. WIFI is definitely faster when I compared speeds to my 3gS.

The only issue I have (which has a thread already) is the light greenish spot when taking pictures of a predominantly white wall..... other than that I am 100% satisfied and happy with this product.

Now please update the Mac Pro line. :rolleyes:

14. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeLjZps-Ygo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWWP5khUJGs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5qUbuBXw-o&feature=related

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/24/other-mobile-phones-with-similar-signal-loss-issues/

Yes, the iPhone 4 is a bit more sensitive, but it isn't an iPhone 4 problem or issue.