This swap... worth it?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by JMVB, Oct 17, 2016.

1. JMVB macrumors member

JMVB

I have a Mac Pro 5.1, X5679 six core 3.2GHz, 16GB - ASUS GTX 680 4GB - 512GB SSD

I found this one:

Mac pro 4.1 2x2.26 GHz Quad Core Xeon E5520 x2.

What if I buy it, flash it to 5.1, put a pair of X5679, put the GTX 680, put the 512GB SSD, and put it 64GB-Ram?
    Worth it the upgrade? it is noticeable? or keep the one that I have and up the RAM to 32GB?

2. prvt.donut macrumors 6502a

prvt.donut

So, basically 6 core vs 12 core plus a doubling in RAM.

It all depends on your work. If you need bucketloads of RAM and all those cores, then it will help you. If not, then you can brag about it.

Also, a note: the 4.1 uses lidless CPUs, that are harder to find (or you pay someone to delid for you).

3. orph macrumors 6502a

it's only worth it if the apps you use will benefit from a dual cpu setup, any app that is reliant on single cpu speed or can scale past 6/12 threads (or scale on to a dual cpu setup)

pugetsystems has some relay interesting articles on cpu/gpu performance in pro apps (under windows but the same will be true for macs in general)
    index of articles
    https://www.pugetsystems.com/all_articles.php

here are some recent examples/benchmarks https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-After-Effects-CC-2015-3-Multi-Core-Performance-843/

so it relay depends on the apps you use and if they can scale well

4. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Here's an extremely interesting video that talks about multi-core performance in Adobe Premiere Pro. They are also using Windows but the information should be relevant to Mac users too.

5. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

This is "really" good information...

6. orph macrumors 6502a

yep and if you have a look there's articles on a lot fo different apps,cpu's,cores and gpus in pro apps
    (im still on CS6 & they have some nice info on that)

and there data looks legit unlike a lot of sites which dont know what there doing with pro apps