This Text-Message thing really IS a racket!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Small White Car, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I know, I know, we need another "AT&T is ripping me off" thread like a hole in the head. Stop and leave now if you don't care. You've been warned.

But MAN, I just have to vent about text messages. I have a personal iPhone plan and pay $5 a month for 200 text messages. I send about 75 and get about 75 per month. So that counts as 150. I'm happy.

Now, my wife doesn't have an iPhone but may be getting one soon. She texts even less than me, so she'd be perfectly fine with a $5 plan as well. So, $10 a month. Great.

No, not great. If we get a family plan I'm forced to pay $30 a monthf for texting. Yep, 3 times the amount for no reason other than the fact that it's a family plan.

So I have to ask, why is AT&T anti-family? :mad: Where are a group of "family-first" protestors when you need 'em?

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

The ridiculous part is how iPhones have an unlimited data plan yet text messages are not included. Blah blah they're different blah blah. Sending text is sending data. For $30/month, you should AT LEAST get the 200 free that I get with the original iPhone plan.

On a side note, if the kids who send 98 percent of all text messages actually had to pay for them, the phone companies would probably be charging about 3 cents/text because there wouldn't be as many.

3. dave006 macrumors 68020

Sorry, but you should read before you start a "vent" thread. On an AT&T FamilyTalk rate plan you can have individual SMS TXT plans on a per line basis.:)

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-ph...s/?q_sku=sku1250067&q_planCategory=cat1370013

You can get the iPhone Text Messaging 200 for $5 on each line. You can also get the iPhone Text Messaging 200 for $5 on one line and the iPhone Text Messaging 1500 for $15 or iPhone Text Messaging Unlimited for $20 on your other line(2). You get to mix and match or move to the $30 plan. The $30 Messaging Unlimited for Familes is a Group feature that you can use to cover all of the individual lines in the FamilyTalk rate plan.

4. Small White Car thread starter macrumors G4

Small White Car

This is false.

It's well known that the cost of text messages comes from having the network running. The ammount of messages matters very little.

So, to put this into imaginary numbers, if it costs AT&T $1,000 to run the text network for the month and then text messages suddenly double, then AT&T's costs suddenly became something like $1,002.

They are NOT charging you based on their costs, I can assure you. If you did take out those "98%" of the kids you're talking about, I bet their expenses would drop 2%.

5. Small White Car thread starter macrumors G4

Small White Car

I did read. After you said this I went back and read it again.

I still see nothing about what you're saying on the site I read. The $5 plan ONLY appears under the "individuals" section, not the "family" section.

If AT&T can't even put this info on their own website, how am I supposed to read it?

Obviously you're finding this info elsewhere (and thank you for that) but why would they make a page showing iPhone rates without putting all the rates on it? What were they thinking?

6. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

Since my son has a PAYG and I've moved to the iPhone plan with $15 for 1500 text messages, I was considering moving to the Family Plan. I think to upgrade to Unlimited (I could be wrong) Family Plan it would cost me $30 more, which I'm considering, it's just that extra $30 that's keeping me from upgrading.

I agree that the jump from $5 for 200 to $15 for 1500 is a jump (how about a $10 plan?), I'm willing to pay it. I just wish Apple let there be some competition between AT&T and every other carrier so I could select the best carrier vs. the lowest cost, which may be the same carrier. But at least let me have a choice.

7. kzoojason76 macrumors member

You can apply the $5 TXT plan to each individual line of a Family Talk plan, or you can apply the $30 unlimited TXT to the entire Family Talk plan. Just because you have a Family Talk plan doesn't mean you are only allowed to add the unlimited TXT.

8. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

I agree with the prices are getting our of hand but look at it this way, didn't t-mobile just switch their rates to .15 cents per text? I believe all the other carrier's are starting to do the same thing most likely to Nudge you to choose a texting plan. Sure AT&T has some prices that aren't agreeable with but I've noticed that it's only the iphone. Why is it that the iphone is now one of the most affordable devices subsidy wise yet the most expensive down the road JUST because of it's name... Dosen't really make sense.

9. Small White Car thread starter macrumors G4

Small White Car

Thank you (and dave006). This is why I come here. I usually learn something.

I'm still annoyed that I have to come to an Apple message board to get this information. Why do AT&T's websites have to be so amazingly un-useful?

10. rarity macrumors regular

rarity

The family plan works great for us, as me and my hubby both have unlimited texting and believe me, he uses about 5000 a month or more. Well worth it IMO.

11. kzoojason76 macrumors member

When AT&T Put out that little chart, I was confused too.

After I went to apple.com to start the purchase process of the iPhone for my wife and I, that's where I saw all the different options for the Family Talk Plan and TXT messaging.

I totally agree that AT&T needs to at least put a footnote on that chart saying that individual TXT plans can be added to a Family Talk plan.

12. dave006 macrumors 68020

No problem, that chart has confused many since the launch. That iPhone chart clearly says "What types of plans are available for iPhone 3G" at the top of the section. Most individuals get caught up in the "Do I really have to have only iPhones on a FamilyTalk plan" since the example shows only iPhones and confusing $39 per add-a-line.

For example, they don't list the FamilyTalk 550 plan and they also don't list all of the features that are available on individual lines and as a group on the FamilyTalk plans. For example, the Early Nights and Weekend feature. The key thing for eveyone to rememeber is that all lines on a FamilyTalk rate plan are still individual lines and all individual features apply.

Dave

13. dave006 macrumors 68020

You do not have to pay an additional $30 for Unlimited Group texting. If you currently pay $15 then it would only be an additional $15 increase to get the "Messaging Unlimited for Families".

Dave

14. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Sigh. And yet the free, carrier-provided e-mail/SMS gateways are (comparatively) never used...

15. kolax macrumors G3

It costs next to nothing for a text message to be sent. This is where phone companies make big money. The whole character limitation of text messages is a massive con too.

Text messaging will be come a thing of the past soon anyway - what with smartphones really taking off, in the next 5 years, whether it be email or IM, it'll be free (as part of your monthly subscription). So unlimited texts if you will.

There is no reason for networks to charge so much for text messages other than to rip you off big time.

16. Theophany macrumors 6502

Theophany

Oh, wah wah wah.

I pay the equivalent of $64 pre-tax for my iPhone plan in the UK and I get 500 text messages. You can pay $15 and get 1500. So AT&T's family plan isn't suited to you, don't sign up to it.

Cry me a fricking river.

17. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

What is sad is SMS uses the very same system that notifies you of a phone call and of voicemail. It costs the carriers little to nothing for upkeep (since they have to have that system up anyways) and they get the charge out the wazoo for it.

18. Private Dirt macrumors regular

Private Dirt

If money is such an issue for some of you then why even have an iphone in the first place??

On a monthly basis the iphone is prolly the most expensive phone to have.? Everyone knows this going into the store and then wants to bitch about the network.

Its simple..if you cant afford the iphone then you have no business bitchin about the phone or the network if you decide to get one.

The iphone and AT&T in my opinion are the best. :cool:

19. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Everyone knows it's a scam. There is no justification for the cost whatsoever.

The only thing we can do is... SUE!!! :)

20. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

i was going to go lease a maserati and complain about the monthly payment being unfair a month later

but youve opened my eyes

21. iNash macrumors 6502

iNash

Forgive me for asking what is probably going to be a really thick question...

If you have the 200 text 'bolt on' then every text message you send comes out of this allowance (fine) but also every text message you receive comes out of this allowance too?? :eek:

Or am I reading this wrong??? (apologies if I am)

22. marine610610 macrumors regular

This is the exact reason i have not switched to ATT, and why i don't have an iPhone yet. Its total BS that you pay for a data plan then have to pay more for text messaging. The family plan garbage is total greed....

23. Small White Car thread starter macrumors G4

Small White Car

Did you read the post at all? :rolleyes:

The issue was, I thought I was going from 200 messages at $5 to 400 messages at $30. That sounds awesome to you?

Now, it turns out that's not true, so it's not a problem. But the web site makes it LOOK that way, for sure, which is why I was complaining.

Ha ha...funny non-Americans!

Yes, incoming and outgoing both count as "1 message" against your total number.

24. Private Dirt macrumors regular

Private Dirt

get a second job! Apparently you got in over your head.