This thing feels too damn small

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Sonmi451, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Sonmi451, Oct 3, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2015

Sonmi451 Suspended

The keyboard feels cramped, and the trackpad feels too small. I like force touch on the iPhone, but you have to press too hard on this, and there's not much use for it atm.

I do like the keyboard, screen, and it does seem fast enough for what I need. Going to use it for a few days to see how it feels, but I may trade it in for a 13" rMBP. I previously had a 15" rMBP so that could be why.

I wish they had a 13" or 14" I think that would feel a little better.

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

The MacBook is 12"

3. triptolemus macrumors 6502

triptolemus

Yes, but only when you measure from the balls... :cool:

4. Xeyad macrumors 6502

the 12" Macbook has a larger trackpad than a 15" rMBP...look it up! ;)

5. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

This has got to be a troll post. The keyboard is 100% full sized. The trackpad is significantly larger than on any other Macbook. And Force Touch takes less pressure than a regular click on the old diving board style trackpads...

6. Sonmi451 thread starter Suspended

I guess you're right. I should say 13-14 then.

You're right diagonally, but the height is a touch smaller. I'm not sure what it is. Maybe because there is barely any bezel around the trackpad.

Why would it be a troll post? I complimented a lot of things about the computer. Also, I said it feels small, which is different from saying it is small. Yes I realize the keyboard is full size - maybe this goes back to the trackpad - the bezel around. I stand by my comment about the force touch. I use touch to click, so the clicking pressure compared to other laptops is irrelevant to my comment.

I bought this because I liked it for a few minutes at the store, and I want to like it. I just haven't gotten used to it yet. Maybe I'll like it after using it a few days.

7. happyslayer macrumors 6502a

happyslayer

Give it a week or so. The keyboard took me a few days to get used to it and now I love it, wish all future mac keyboards had it. As to feeling small... um, it is small. That is sort of the point. I had an 11" Air prior to this and it felt smaller than this, to me. But like I say, give it some time.

Otherwise a 13" Pro would probably be your best bet.

8. Tummy macrumors regular

I think it's still too big, but pretty good. It's a companion to my desktop MacPro with 32" 4k display. For going to meetings, showing Powerpoints and reading mail in Outlook, it works pretty well. Better than an iPad and not much bigger. Only wished it had a built in mini displayport or thunderbolt since all our projectors have a VGA or Mini display port connectors.

9. wchigo macrumors 6502

wchigo

Force touch has absolutely nothing to do with touch to click. Force touch only affects when you try to physically push down on the trackpad to initiate a click to simulate a clicking feeling, since the trackpad doesn't physically move.

Not trying to be antagonistic, but your understanding/use of the term "force touch" here is incorrect.

10. Sonmi451, Oct 5, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2015

Sonmi451 thread starter Suspended

I know this. I never confused the terms. You are probably misunderstanding a couple of posts discussing the two different features.

There are 3 different ways to interact with the trackpad (not counting gestures obviously).
    1 - tap to click - this is what I use
    2 - regular mouse click - I don't normally use this on laptops unless the tap isn't working.
    3 - force touch - a hard press of the trackpad - This is the feature I didn't like. It works okay on the iPhone, but I feel you have to press to hard to activate it.

11. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

Aside from the factual errors, I get what you're saying. You're describing the MacBook Air. It's still for sale. You should try it out and see if it is more sufficient for your needs.

Apple makes different notebooks in different strengths and sizes; it's impossible to pick one that isn't perfect for you.

BJ

12. Sonmi451 thread starter Suspended

Factual errors? I made 1 error not realizing the MB is 12" that's it. I already have a Macbook Air. There is no retina display.

13. wchigo macrumors 6502

wchigo

Fair enough.

I guess I was somewhat confused as you complained about the Force Touch needing too much pressure to activate before going on to state that you don't use it or the regular mouse click anyways. Seems odd to complain about a feature you don't even use, but to each their own.

I personally used tap to click on my 13" rMBP but turned that feature off on the rMB since I enjoy the fake click of the force touch trackpad so much.

Oh, and try not to take BJ too seriously. He's got a, shall we say, rather intriguing perspective on things...

14. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Size of the device, the fact that a keyboard that is exactly the same size as every other Macbook laptop, with even larger keys, is cramped, that the largest trackpad ever outfitted on a Macbook, feels too small, and that Force Touch, which requires less pressure than a regular click on a diving board trackpad takes too much effort.

Not much wrong, I guess.

15. Sonmi451 thread starter Suspended

I never complained about the regular mouse click. I actually think the regular mouse click is fine. Force Touch I did complain but I am comparing it with the iPhone which I think feels more natural. Either way, it's a pretty minor note. There isn't enough features taking advantage of it for me to really use anyway. It was more of an observation. It's probably not that bad, but it takes getting used to. I am probably just not used to it yet. When you've been using a trackpad for years, it's a little weird to have to change it up.

Anyway, this post was written a few days ago. Now that I have had it for a few days I'm getting more used to it. I still think it's a little small for me, but I may still keep it because i like the portability. I haven't decided yet.

I don't take offense to anything, I realize when you come in and are critical of something other people like, they don't always respond in the kindest of manners. Oh, and also, it's the internet.

16. Sonmi451 thread starter Suspended

You think Force Touch requires less pressure than a regular trackpad click? Source? That may certainly be the case for a few isolated laptops, but I don't think that's true for most Apple laptops.

I know the keyboard and trackpad are basically normal size, I think it feels small because I am used to resting my hands on the bezel. Since this bezel is smaller, I have a tighter space to rest my hands when typing. Also the screen is quite a bit smaller than what I came from previously.

17. wchigo macrumors 6502

wchigo

You know what, I will totally comp to projecting my own assumptions and misunderstanding your original statement. As Apple has called it the Force Touch trackpad, when you said you didn't like force touch I figured you just didn't like the trackpad and its faux click.

Personally I don't think the full force touch pushdown is quite that bad, but I can see how it wouldn't feel natural for a lot of people right off the bat and I completely agree that it doesn't have that many uses as of now; in fact, I barely use it myself and quite honestly forgot about that feature until this thread. I love the trackpad and using its regular "click", but I agree that Apple should come up with some extra use cases for the force touch aspect of it.

Yeah, it's definitely not quite as nice for videos and such even compared to my 13" rMBP, but its portability has totally sold me on it and I'm more inclined to use it even during off-working hours like when I'm laying in bed, which in and of itself makes it totally worth the price and giving up that little extra real estate and processing power for me.

Good for you, it's not easy to be in that position. I apologize and mainly chalk up my "aggressiveness" towards my misunderstanding of one of your points, but as always you are just as entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. I am glad to hear that you've started coming around to the rMB after spending a couple of days with it and will be interested to hear if you do decide to keep it in the end. Cheers

18. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

If you must have a 13"-14" retina display and you are unhappy with the "too damn small" size of the "world's smallest 12" notebook" you need to get a Pro. Not sure why you started the thread. You already have your answer.

Next thing he'll tell us is that it doesn't have enough ports.

BJ

19. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

It's my experience from going in between my Macbook and my wife's Macbook Air on a regular basis over the last several months. Seems pretty obvious to me.

20. Sonmi451 thread starter Suspended

because this is called a discussion forum. I'm pretty sure that's what's going on. If this or any other post bothers you, can you can just skip it.

21. modernaccord macrumors 6502a

I disagree - it's a fairly competent machine for what it is. That being said, if you switched from a 15 or 17" it will feel small and cramped. I played with a 15" rmbp at the store the other day and couldn't believe I toted that around a college campus at one point.

22. Costino1 macrumors 6502

Costino1

I'm in love with the keyboard and trackpad.

Is there a learning curve with both? Yes. I have a regular Apple keyboard for my desktop and a clunky old Dell one at work. I feel like Im using a dinosaur when I'm at work.

The Apple keyboard on the Macbook just feels so premium and effortless. This has been said countless times in these threads but there is a learning curve to typing on the Macbook. You do type different on it i noticed. I lift my hands up off the board and type much lighter than a regular keyboard.

The track pad is bigger than most laptops though

23. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

I'm not sure whether the OP has tried this, but you can change the force required to "click" the trackpad in the Trackpad preference pane in System Preferences.

Screen Shot 2015-10-09 at 2.34.52 PM.png

24. Sonmi451 thread starter Suspended

I don't use click. I use touch to click. Interesting feature though.

25. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

Uh, okay. So if you use touch-to-click, then why did you say, "I like force touch on the iPhone, but you have to press too hard on this?" If you solely use touch-to-click, then why would you complain about how hard the rMB's trackpad is to press?

FWIW if you change the force required to "click" the trackpad like I showed in my previous post, you don't have to press anywhere near as hard to force-click as you do on the iPhone.