This thing is crazy...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by davidjearly, Nov 2, 2013.

1. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

...fast!

My first experience of an SSD optimised system. Incredible. Having upgraded from a maxed out 17", I just can't believe the difference.

I love it. That is all. :D

2. Benk3350 macrumors member

I can't wait. This will be my first ssd I've ever used, and I got the 1tb.

From what everyone tells me, I will be blown away from the speed. I am used to a 5400RPM HDD in my desktop and a 7200RPM HDD in my 09 macbook pro.

3. Xerotech macrumors 6502

Yeah, when I got my first SSD, I was in complete awe.

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Yes. I put an SSD in my PC, and it actually boots Windows 7 faster than the BIOS takes to POST! :eek:

These PCI-e based SSD's are even faster!

5. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

Is there a noticeable difference between the regular SSDs and the PCI-e based ones?

6. actuallyinaus macrumors regular

450-500MB/s old retina, 730-800MB/s new retina

so yes there is a large difference (when decompressing ...), but in general use (opening a web browser, opening a file in photoshop) the difference will be no way near as large/noticeable as a hdd vs ssd

my sibling who just bought a 13" pro with cd drive and hdd (because: cheaper, cd drive, lost of storage for photos), will be so amazed in a few years time when getting an ssd for the first time (and it probably being over 1GB/s by then)

7. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

Did not know there was such a difference on paper. Anyway, I'm only buying a new rMBP, at least, in 2 years time so, by then, I will feel wow'ed again.. just like when I worked with an SSD for the first time :D

8. sabbyp macrumors regular

just did a blackmagic test - 872.5mb/s read and 948.9mb/s write average

the difference between this and even a 128gb ssd is astonishing - simply the fastest computer i've ever seen, let alone owned

9. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

The 1TB SSD in the new rMBP can get over 1000MB/s writes. Yeah, the jump won't be nearly as big as from a HD. HDs to old SSDs, about a 600% increase. Old SSDs to new SSDs, about a 70-110% increase

10. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

Yep, it's a whole other world and you can "Shake-it-lika-Pol-a-roid-pict-cha!" and no crashed drives, freaking unbelievable speeds from these things...;-)