This thread is for the fanboys - please defend Apple

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sgw123, May 30, 2018.

1. sgw123 macrumors newbie

So I have an iphone 8 - and a macbook pro - an old one - 2015 - but up to date to High Sierra

How is it that I cannot switch my airpods from my iphone to my macbook pro?

I thought the whole point for the airpods was their 'special sauce'. I do love them - but really - this is not cool. I'm looking forward to hearing the defense from the fanboys.

If I have my airpods going with my iphone - and want to then change to my macbook pro - most of the time it takes repeated clicks - the minimum seems to be five minutes - fiddling around. I have to 'forget' this device on my phone and find it on the macbook etc. And usually - that doesn't even do it. My conclusion is that as much as I love the airpods, they can only work with one device.

And then I have a $20 pair of Anker wireless headphones - and they switch immediately and effortlessly - and 'as advertised' - I'm on my iphone and want to hear them on the mac - so I go to the menu - switch - and there they are - immediately!

So - please - fanboys - explain how a $20 pair of headphones behave as Apple advertises, and my airpods cannot even make the switch between my iphone and my mac.

And by the way - I am sitting at my computer with the Ankers stuck in my ears - rather than the airpods - not out of choice - but because the airpods will not connect - to a macbook pro - after trying every fiddle possible.

It used to be that Apple's selling point was that their products 'just worked'. That now seems to be a long time ago.
    --- Post Merged, May 30, 2018 ---
    By the way - yes I 'disconnect' from the iphone first etc. I have tried everything. And frankly - the whole point should surely be that I can move around my home and switch sources easily.

2. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

If I had to find a positive about the situation, you could be happy that you are able to connect to different devices.

I won't defend Apple for this, as I think this kind of stuff is the new norm for Apple. The phase "it just works" doesn't really apply anymore.

I was interested in the AirPods, I love the EarPods, and I figured the AirPods would be perfect for not dealing with the EarPod wires.

But, after looking at reviews, I found out that there is no way to change the volume level from the AirPods while making a call. This is a deal breaker for me, but I guess for many other people, they don't care.

3. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

Unfortunately you are right. I thought AirPods would switch immediately between devices but they don't.
    They will defend by telling you that the AirPods atleast look cool in your ears while you wait for them to connect :rolleyes:
    "It just works" is no more...

4. sgw123 thread starter macrumors newbie

And one last thing - unless I'm missing something - - there is no way to differentiate between the ringtone volume and the media volume. I guess Apple thinks its users are too stupid to tell the difference so they don't provide any easy way to do this most simple of actions.

Hey Apple - I would like to be able to turn the volume up/down of my media and turn up/down the volume of my phone's notification

Again - maybe I've missed it -but I have no idea how to do this. Surely Mr Cook etc comes across this situation on a daily basis?

And before DJCerla and other fanboys chime in - I'm not 'anti-apple' - I'm writing this from a macbook pro, my phoine is an iphone 8 etc - I just want them to do better - they used to be amazing - they used to lead the way - but now they are giving me daily niggles and I don't appreciate it.
    --- Post Merged, May 30, 2018 ---
    Maybe Ios 12 will make this advanced functionality possible.

Please - if there is a way I'd loved to know and then I won't be so grumpy. I hear a notification and it is too loud - so I want to turn it down - but I'm listening to a podcast and don't want to turn it down. I have not found a way in ios to do this most simple action.

I would be very happy to find the solution to this 21st century problem

5. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

Is it like the iPhone that you have to be actively playing media to change the media volume with the physical buttons, otherwise it will be ringer volume?

Some people on this forum think that to be a fan of Apple products, you can never say anything negative about Apple or their products.

I often get labeled an Apple hater, or get asked why I participate on an Apple forum if I hate Apple, just because I point out things people perceive as anti-Apple. Actually, I got labeled an Apple fanboy and an Apple-hater or some equivalent) in the same thread before.

6. sgw123 thread starter macrumors newbie

And one last thing - just to get it off my chest - I've had in the region of 50 macs in the past twenty years - just to put my position clear in a pxxxng contest. I'm now on a macbook pro, and my folks are on a mac mini. We are both watiing and waiting and waiting - ............

What the hell happened to this company? - I don't give a s... how well they are doing in the stockmarket. I care about the products they sell me.

Sad :(

btw - that's a joke . Not endorsing Trump. at all

7. sgw123 thread starter macrumors newbie

One last thing - here is an idea - and maybe it will happen in ios12. I find myself wanting to 'mix' my sources many many times a day. I have my airpods in - perhaps I'm listening to the radio for example. Then i sit down at the computer (a mac) - and I would love to be able to listen to both at the same time - I would love to be able to adjust the volume between them 'on the fly'. But I can't - so I have to take the airpod out - and have one ear in and one out. Surely it can be done? By one of the planet's most successful companies?

That to me is obvious - and would be incredibly useful.

Having said that - reading a post regarding the watch - where I bought the watch .0 and will not get a new one until it has an always on display - there are folks on there who say that this kind of requirement is 'pointless' and 'silly'.

Who knows - maybe in ten years - there will be someone new in charge of Apple who actually gives a s..t about the day to day user experience of the people who buy the products.