This time last year...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by newConvert, May 1, 2009.

1. newConvert macrumors regular

Just wondering what was leaked at about this time last year before the 3g was released? Just wondering how we are comparing to that so far... figure we must be getting some product leaks soon.

2. matttye macrumors 601

3. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Why do you feel that way? Why can't that be embedded in the 3.0 release that will be added to our 3Gs? Camera ability is overdue, too, so it would be not a huge surprise if it shows on 3.0
    I really do hope a new device comes out so I can get it, but I really like my 3G. No need to upgrade yet, really.

4. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Why don't you have a look through the forums? I can't remember anything much that leaked last year . . .

5. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

How about this evidence: the current iPhone hardware is already capable of video recording.

The fact that carriers are trying to dump their existing 3G stocks is better evidence.

6. diemos macrumors 6502

7. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Yup. The pic of the iPhone 3G sitting on a MBP keyboard leaked over a year ago I would assume.

8. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

But not at more than 15fps. The 3G and first-gen iPhones will not get video recording.

9. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

+1

I think if they were it would have been demoed at some point in the 3.0 event.
    The fact that's it's not official points to it being only on the new phone.

10. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Knock yourself out here
    or here

iPhone Accessory Makers Detail 3G iPhone Design?
    May 1, 2008 http://www.macrumors.com/2008/04/30/iphone-accessory-makers-detail-3g-iphone-design/
    http://www.9to5mac.com/apple_wimax_secret

Lots of topics this year too
    - The Epson Infineon A-GPS - Will Apple get it seeing as the GPS is a major battery drain?
    - Tegra/other - mulicore CPU, SoC, BT 3, USB 3... the list goes on.

11. matttye macrumors 601

Reply to both of you:

The current iPhone may well be capable of video recording, but it doesn't have the hardware to do so efficiently. Flash memory/SSDs degrade the more they are written to, they have finite write cycles, so something like a video recorder repeatedly writing to the disk is going to greatly reduce the lifetime of your drive.

However, with a new hardware revision, Apple could add either dedicated video memory, or they could add more general-purpose RAM so that there's enough memory to record and encode in memory while not completely sapping all available memory. Either solution would allow the phone to record and encode in memory before writing to the drive.

12. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Poppycock. There have been numerous video cameras that record onto flash.

Hell, even my old Tmo wing with 64mb of ram recorded video.

13. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Agreed.

14. matttye macrumors 601

Perhaps you should do some research before randomly posting "poppycock"

http://www.storagesearch.com/ssdmyths-endurance.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory

Again - it is 100% possible to record video to flash memory, but if you are continuously writing to the disk it is going to degrade much faster than it would if the recording and encoding was done in memory before being dumped to disk.

I doubt Apple would risk adding video recording to the current iPhones because they would get bombarded with complaints about losing storage and hardware problems! ..especially with users that have already been using the iPhone for a long time.

Edit - somebody on this site once suggested that Apple might decide to only let you record if a memory card is present in the phone. This would also make sense, because memory cards are discardable storage.

15. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

Hey, thanks for linking to my old blog, that made my day! :D I severely need to update =/

16. corrado7 macrumors regular

corrado7

I was just as surprised to see my posts there. :)

17. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

So how exactly does this differ from syncing different playlists to the drive? I have a video recorder on my phone and to be honest I sync my phone (change ALL of the music on my 8G) about 20 times more often than I record video.

I just don't see it as being a legitimate enough problem to exclude it from a software update. I'll admit that the quality is less than perfect, but most would agree that something is better than nothing.

18. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

An increase in memory would be welcome I'd imagine to developers, having been under the limitations of memory in order to keep their apps running smoothly. Is it so unfair, to only open video recording up to the new model? They could open up Kyte etc to the old models (though, I just realised yesterday reading about the connection with Qik, and Palm, Qik etc might be being left in the lurch slightly if Apple so chooses).
    For the OP - we'd had a rumor about rough dimensions and shape by now. We all screamed at Apple regarding having MobileMe too close to the launch of big products - Apple might announce the phone and give a decent birth to get 3G iPhone owners onto OS 3.0, then update the SDK, XCode etc with the new APIs and so on for hardware features for the next phone and Touch

19. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

The 1st Gen and 3G will not get video recording, at least officially from Apple. Just like how the original will not get MMS capabilities, the 3G will not get video recording. Apple wants to give you a reason to upgrade.

Sorry to say, that's just how it's going to be. If you want to record videos on your original or 3G, jailbreak and use one of the many programs that are currently offered.

20. matttye macrumors 601

Your logic is flawed. The way your post comes across is "the iPhone storage drive already takes a battering with syncing, let's just thrash it even more with video recording and see how it holds up"

Apple don't usually do things by halves. I can't see them adding a low quality video recording feature to the current iPhones when they can release a high quality video recording feature that is backed up by better hardware. They have standards!

21. LinMac macrumors 65816

and by standards we mean potential profit in the billions from people like us that will upgrade the moment the newest shiny iPhone Video is available.

22. matttye macrumors 601

Well yeah, you're not wrong there, but Apple also don't want bad reviews about crappy implementations of features on their iPhone. The current hardware would make mediocre video at best, and it would put a lot of strain on the storage drive too.

23. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

You misunderstood my logic. I was pointing out the fact that I have a video recorder and rarely use it. I know others with Cycorder who have never used it. They say they have it "just in case".

I don't know if we are the minority but I don't think the drive is going to suffer that much.

24. matttye macrumors 601

It has the potential to suffer a lot for heavy users of the video recorder. You can't just assume people are going to use it for light recording.

I can't see Apple making a video recording app that has to repeatedly write to the disk when they can just include more (and/or dedicated video) memory with the next hardware revision. This is going to improve the longevity of the phone especially for those heavy users.

25. randomusername macrumors 6502

How come we've only seen one hardware "leak" when last year there were many (mostly false) leaks and rumors? I'm starting to think that the only cosmetic change coming is a matte back since we've only seen software leaks so far.