This time next year, how much space will SSDs have?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by negro napoleon, Jul 1, 2012.

1. negro napoleon macrumors member

I want a 512 MBAir because it seems that it would be even better than an entry level MBPro (non retina).

But 512GB seems to be really expensive right now but 256GB is a joke, even as an entry level storage size.

Even the old macbooks didn't start that low.

2. simsaladimbamba

The old MacBooks started with as low as 60 GB in 2006 and only in 2009 250 GB HDDs were available in the base models.
    You could however upgrade some lower specced MBs to 250 GB and more.

Next year, 512 GB SSDs will be less expensive than this year and maybe even 1 TB SSDs will be an option.

3. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Maybe not next year, but in 3-4 years even faster drives will start hitting the market... Once that happens, today's SSDs will be as HDDs are now :) Until then, as the guy above me has stated, most likely 1TB+ SSDs will be the top-end upgrade models.

4. negro napoleon thread starter macrumors member

So I might as well bite the bullet if I want a large SSD experience.

5. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Well, if 512 GB ( MBA ) or 768 GB ( MBP ) SSDs are not enough for your needs, then either look for an external HDD, or even better, start storing your files in some data-cloud ( assuming that you usually have internet access ). Next year's SSD would possibly be 1TB, but it won't be cheap! Actually, 1TB+ SSDs have been around for a while, but they cost some serious cash... of course, if you can justify the price and have the money to spend, then you could always go for the MBP ( not retina version ) and swap the SSD or HDD it comes with. You can actually get rid of the optical bay too and mount a HDD there as well.

Options exist, but it really depends on what you want to achieve and how...